Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2012, 12:16 PM  

Obamacare Amounts to Extortion

Very interesting opinion;
Quote:
Obamacare amounts to extortion
Jenny Kinsey/For The Times-Standard
Posted: 07/11/2012 02:25:46 AM PDT

I do not understand people who sign up in their brains to be a ?D? or an ?R? and always vote ?D? or ?R? without any analysis. Some people seem to become so D-ish or R-ish that they route every thought through their D or R brain filter. The Ds seem to be for the Affordable Health Care Act and the Rs are against it.

What reallly bugs me is everyone calls it health care, as if some great benevolent being is now ?caring? for your ?health,? when in fact the ACA is basically all about medical insurance. Do insurance companies care for your health? Since the cash price of any medical service or procedure or prescription drug is usually stunningly less than the insurance price, the ACA is not affordable and not care.

Now the Ds and Rs are all fluffed up that the so-called mandate penalty is a tax. It did not become a tax because of John Roberts. It was always a tax. A tax that goes up every year! The IRS has been preparing, hiring and training since Obamacare was passed by all the Democrats and none of the Republicans. Oh, you lucky Ds, now you have insurance companies and the IRS to ?care? for your ?health.? I worked for the IRS at one time, and I guarantee you, this will be a nightmare for everyone.

For me, I hate insurance and I absolutely distrust western-style medicine. I could write a book regarding all of my extremely negative experiences with doctors practicing
Advertisement
western-style medicine. I no longer go near doctors or hospitals and certainly not pharmaceuticals. I care for my own health. But I may no longer to afford the herbs, nutritional supplements, etc., that actually do help me, because I will have to pay the Obamacare tax. I will be taxed for NOT purchasing something I do not want, and know I will never use. I have had a chronic disease for 25 years, chronic pain for 10 years, a heart condition for 30 years -- these are a few of my health issues that I care for every day. The many times I thought I was dying I refused to go to the ER, because I knew, for me, that would be wrong. I know my body, my health and myself. I know what will keep me alive and what will kill me. And yes, I know I will not run to the ER, forcing your insurance premiums up. But Nancy Pelosi and other Democratic leaders call me a freerider, a freeloader, and irresponsible in an effort to intimidate and coerce me.

So I will be taxed for NOT doing what the government wants me to do. How will it be when the government starts taxing fat people for NOT losing weight? What are you NOT doing that the government thinks you should? A new tax may be on the horizon for you, too. The Ds believe abortion should be legal because a woman has the right to have control over her own body. So why has the Democratic party decided I don't have the right to have control over my own body? I feel as though the Democratic party is trying to coerce me into believing in medical insurance, western-style medicine, and prescription drugs because they do. And if I don't believe as they do, I will be penalized and ridiculed as not being a responsible citizen. If we were talking about being coerced into, say, a particular religion, facing penalization and ridicule, how would you feel about that?

I have been nonpartisan all my life. And I voted for Barack Obama, because I never once heard him mention the word ?mandate? in a speech and Hillary Clinton nearly always did. (Perhaps her honesty lost her the nomination?) Because of Obamacare, I will not vote for ANY Democrat again. There are more than just two political parties, more than just Ds and Rs.

Jenny Kinsey resides in Fieldbrook.
http://www.times-standard.com/guest_...unts-extortion

Old 07-11-2012, 09:56 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Very interesting opinion;
Interesting? No, it's bull****.

He's *not* required to purchase insurance. He's free to forego the tax credit he will get for purchasing insurance and go ahead and pay the tax. Because, of course, SCOTUS calls the penalty a "tax", so anyone who isn't required to pay it must have received some sort of credit against that tax.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:00 AM  

A tax is normally in consideration of the possession or occurrence of (income, goods, sales, etc.), usually in proportion to the value of money involved. To tax a "non-purchase" is to open a door we shouldn't be forced to march through. Once a government gains the right to tax "nothing" who knows where it will lead. A government that already has trouble with straight forward interpretations of simple amendments will have a heyday with this one.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:36 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
A tax is normally in consideration of the possession or occurrence of (income, goods, sales, etc.), usually in proportion to the value of money involved. To tax a "non-purchase" is to open a door we shouldn't be forced to march through. Once a government gains the right to tax "nothing" who knows where it will lead. A government that already has trouble with straight forward interpretations of simple amendments will have a heyday with this one.
I think that ship has already sailed.... When they give someone a tax credit for anything it is like the same thing. Basically if you buy your own insurance you are getting a "tax credit" type of benifit. You just don't have to pay it to begin with instead of getting it credited back. The entire system has been manipulated in such a way over the years (by the entire government in general) that very little is straight forward. (makes it easier to chose the winners and losers without people noticing)

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 07-12-2012, 10:16 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
It's not a tax on a non-purchase. The penalty is equivalent to a tax on everyone. The mandate as a whole is equivalent to a tax on everyone and a credit for anyone who makes the purchase. There's a long history of giving tax credits for having performed some specific action. I think the oil companies utilize that particular fact to increase their profits at taxpayer expense.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:21 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
I think that ship has already sailed.... When they give someone a tax credit for anything it is like the same thing. Basically if you buy your own insurance you are getting a "tax credit" type of benifit. You just don't have to pay it to begin with instead of getting it credited back. The entire system has been manipulated in such a way over the years (by the entire government in general) that very little is straight forward. (makes it easier to chose the winners and losers without people noticing)
Yeah, pretty much. So long as we're willing to give tax credits to certain people/corporations, we can expect these incentives to continue.

I'd argue that in general, this sort of incentive should exist, even if it's used for purposes that are not universally agreed upon.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:22 AM  

Quote:
The penalty is equivalent to a tax on everyone.
So again it depends upon the meaning of the word "is".
Old 07-13-2012, 08:36 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
So again it depends upon the meaning of the word "is".
That's silly. You're silly. Bill Clinton is silly. Barack Obama is not Bill Clinton, Mitt Romney is no Ronald Reagan, and Eric Cartman doesn't know a rainforest from a pop tart.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:11 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
That's silly. You're silly. Bill Clinton is silly. Barack Obama is not Bill Clinton, Mitt Romney is no Ronald Reagan, and Eric Cartman doesn't know a rainforest from a pop tart.
Merely foolish!
Old 07-14-2012, 02:29 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
how terrible to make everyone pay for their own healthcare if they can afford it, terrible I say.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.