Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2011, 09:57 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Blucher, I love the pictures, I really do. Can I ask you a huge favor, though? Can you limit them to a couple per post? It's getting pretty hard to find the comments amid all the photography...

Old 10-09-2011, 10:07 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
Of all the posters/signs this speaks to the root of the problem. Their efforts are misdirected. They should be marching on the federal and state capitals protesting corruption there, not Wall Street.
Wall Street bought and paid for the problems in the capitols.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:41 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Blucher, I love the pictures, I really do. Can I ask you a huge favor, though? Can you limit them to a couple per post? It's getting pretty hard to find the comments amid all the photography...
I shall indeed but Indian Adventures may fill up a bit due to an over abundance of clowns.

It was nice marching in NYC in 2004. Nice people, educated, great conversations and somehow the signs were all spelled correctly. Like it or not guvmint is in the details and I was encouraged being among thousands who actually knew those details.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:45 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Wall Street bought and paid for the problems in the capitols.
Yeah, the system is screwed up. I don't blame the ones who did the buying as much as I blame the corruption in Washington. If the politicians are for sale, SOMEONE is going to "buy" them.

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 10-10-2011, 11:14 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Yeah, the system is screwed up. I don't blame the ones who did the buying as much as I blame the corruption in Washington. If the politicians are for sale, SOMEONE is going to "buy" them.
Washington doesn't consist of a specific set of politicians. Any politician that shows a backbone and stands up against such corruption will find himself out of office, replaced by someone who will.

Until we go after the buyers and not just the politicians bought, we'll always have this problem.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:17 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR

Quote:
I don't blame the ones who did the buying as much as I blame the corruption in Washington. If the politicians are for sale, SOMEONE is going to "buy" them.
The ones that bought them sold junk mortgages, never invested after the last tax holiday for bringing home overseas profits and broke the economy. Wonder why the "someone" is always RICH.
Occupy Wall Street Protests-capisntworkingj.jpg 

Old 10-10-2011, 01:02 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Jon Stewart: How Is Occupy Wall Street Not Like The Tea Party?

(VIDEO)
Jon Stewart: How Is Occupy Wall Street Not Like The Tea Party? (VIDEO)

Quote:
Previously, Jon Stewart only touched on one incident at the downtown Manhattan protests known as Occupy Wall Street (OWS), but on Wednesday night's "Daily Show," he spent nine minutes comparing the 2011 protests with 2009's birth of the Tea Party, and the media's disparate reactions.

While the Tea Party protesters donned tri-corner hats to protest government-run healthcare and bailouts, the Occupy Wall Street protesters are primarily young liberals wanting to bring attention to "the 99%" who aren't controlling the nation's wealth. But what makes them so different, really? As Stewart explored with his usual slew of clips, the conservative media's remarks about the OWS protesters range from "disorganized hippies" to comparisons to Nazis (you can thank Ann Coulter for the latter).

But Stewart got the biggest kick out of Fox News' Sean Hannity, who said of the Tea Party in 09, "[They're] expressing their frustration, which I think is quintessentially american," and said of OWS this week, "They hate capitalism" and "really don't like freedom."

"So, rage against duly elected government is patriotic -- quintessentially American -- whereas rage against multi-national shareholder-accountable corporations is anti-American. OK, gotcha," Stewart said.
Another person whose hypocritical analysis of both movements got a rise out of Stewart was Tea Party co-founder Mark Meckler. After deriding OWS for breaking the law by organizing on the Brooklyn Bridge, Meckler said, "That's not Tea Party behavior," obviously forgetting that the acts committed by the actual Tea Party in Boston were felonious, if not worse.

Watch the full, nine-minute segment below and hear the rest of Stewart's analysis of both movements. While politicians and pundits say the OWS message is muddled, Stewart challenges that it's just as cohesive as they themselves sound on a daily basis.
Occupy Wall Street Protests-jon-stewart-pics.jpg 

Old 10-10-2011, 02:23 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Washington doesn't consist of a specific set of politicians. Any politician that shows a backbone and stands up against such corruption will find himself out of office, replaced by someone who will.

Until we go after the buyers and not just the politicians bought, we'll always have this problem.
That is why I said the SYSTEM is screwed up. As long as our system is set up in such a way as to allow the politicians to chose who gets what and when then that is fertile ground for corruption.

Oh, and I could be mistaken but wasn't it some government intervention that encouraged the banks to issue the bad loans in the first place?? With the "good intention" of getting more people into their own homes?

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 10-10-2011, 03:24 PM  

Nashville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
I think this is something we can all agree on, but it's like the war against drugs. Who is more prosecutable the drug pusher or the user? Who's more at fault the user cause he's addicted or the pusher cause he can make a profit?

I don't buy the corporations/wall street being more to blame or politicians more to blame. If both are dirty, both need to be held accountable. But this is what we get when the fox guards the hen house.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:06 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
It was nice marching in NYC in 2004. Nice people, educated, great conversations and somehow the signs were all spelled correctly. Like it or not guvmint is in the details and I was encouraged being among thousands who actually knew those details.
Well, what they forgot to tell ya, spelled rite or not, guvment fokes and them wall streeter fat cats neither got any ears. The radical voting trends back & forth, extreme democrats to extreme repulicans and back, has fallen short of their awarenesses and sesos, these demonstrations here too, will fall short and esculate into violence and I would not be surprised to see national guard called out soon.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.