Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2011, 09:31 AM  

Little Rock, Arkansas
Our gas jumped up .10 in the last 2 days. Freaking crazy

Old 04-29-2011, 09:38 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
I remember the gasoline shortages in 1973, and we all scrambled to conserve with smaller cars, and alternative energies were on the table front and center at that time. Then the whole "Crisis" was over and we went right back to our old ways. It seemed that everytime the price of fuel would go up, we'd race around yelling FIRE FIRE, but then when the prices went down, we'd revert right back to our habits again. I think that if we had one dollar a gallon gasoline these days, and it was guaranteed forever...........Yes! Alternative energy could be burried. But as it turns out, Obama and a lot of others see that not only will gasolene ever be $1 again, but that it's going to get more and more expensive, as China and India, as well as the speculators continue to drive up prices and demand for the stuff. I think that the call to alternative energy, whether by Obama or Jimmy Carter or whoever, is indicitive of the writing on the wall.......... That the oil will run out eventually, so let's turn lemons into lemonade! Gear up for it now, while the time is right, rather than waiting till the last drop, and then wondering what the heck we are gonna do! To me, it just makes sense, irregardless of whose agenda this is.
I do agree, but I also believe that Obama is NOT unhappy with rising energy costs because it will "encourage" us to "prepare for the future."

Whatever... That is pretty much what I have been saying. I am not necessarily debating whether Green is good or not so much as that our administration is not necessarily FOR fossil fuel costs to go down.

Disagreements?

Old 04-29-2011, 09:51 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Well, I will answer it for you. If gas was $1 a gallon, it would be hard to convince most people to spend more money on (for example) electric cars or hybrids than on normal cars. If you cannot convince people to buy them then companies won't make them. If companies won't make them and people won't buy them then the money that the government has been throwing at the green initiative will have been largely wasted because it would be virtually impossible to make green energy (as Obama SAID) "...more competitive..." with fossil fuels. So in my opinion, he WOULD NOT make gas prices $1 a gallon. So, the higher prices are going to make it EASIER for his agenda to proceed (as planned?). Therefore I do not believe that he is entirely unhappy with the high gas prices (except possibly the political repercussions of it).

I forgot to mention ethanol.... (I hate that stuff...)
but under what assumptions?, you can't just "make" gas a dollar, there has to be rational behind it, say for example we found a new way to make oil from algea that was extremely efficient we can now just not super cheap) then it would be hard to push for alternative energies however I do still believe there would be a green push to keep the emissions low as it should. but if the solution was a short term $1 fix then no, I don't think obama would or should...

long term that would be disastrous...

The ethanol was a result of lobbying to drive up corn prices......
Old 04-29-2011, 10:16 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
I do agree, but I also believe that Obama is NOT unhappy with rising energy costs because it will "encourage" us to "prepare for the future."

Whatever... That is pretty much what I have been saying. I am not necessarily debating whether Green is good or not so much as that our administration is not necessarily FOR fossil fuel costs to go down.

Disagreements?
Well....... I do! High fuel prices will piss off voters. The voter mentality is that "It is certainly Obamas fault that fuel is so expensive." and I believe that it would cost him dearly. It would be in his relections best interest to attempt to get the price of oil down. High fuel prices are an economic disaster, and the economy is already failing enough as it is. That's just my take down on it. Could be wrong!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:21 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Well....... I do! High fuel prices will piss off voters. The voter mentality is that "It is certainly Obamas fault that fuel is so expensive." and I believe that it would cost him dearly. It would be in his relections best interest to attempt to get the price of oil down. High fuel prices are an economic disaster, and the economy is already failing enough as it is.
High prices will and do piss off the voters (and will be reflected at the polls). I just think that he isn't TOTALLY against high prices due to the green energy initiative.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:22 AM  
Traveler

By the way...........That's my buddy......Billy in my avatar. He's the biggest lover there is!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:25 AM  
Traveler

Well......It certainly would create jobs no doubt, though it would essentially kill jobs in the oil industry too. Who knows buddy. I just think that developing the alternative energies is certainly a smart thing, in addition to continued oil production. These guys surely must see that the party has to end one day............
Old 04-29-2011, 11:04 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Well......It certainly would create jobs no doubt, though it would essentially kill jobs in the oil industry too. Who knows buddy. I just think that developing the alternative energies is certainly a smart thing, in addition to continued oil production. These guys surely must see that the party has to end one day............
Hey, I agree with you there..... I was watching a program about the things being done to make cars more efficient like weight reduction, super low-friction lubricants, and things of the like.... One thing I notice is, the automotive industry has been using the technology (guided by the market, mind you) to make cars even more powerful with almost the same efficiency instead of leaving the power the same and increasing efficiency. I just thought it was interesting, not trying to stray off into another debate.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:47 PM  
Traveler

I noticed this too. It's what Americans want I guess, but in a way.............. I think it's ignorant to think that way. With fuel going up and up, why aren't we building cars like the old Subaru justys, you know those cars with the 3 cylinder 12 HP that would get like 160 MPG? I'm exaggerating I know........ That's the way I'm thinking anyways, forget extra HP. Too many friggin cars on the road anymore to worry about doing 0-60 in half a second! LOL!

Old 04-29-2011, 09:00 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
"I just think that he isn't TOTALLY against high prices due to the green energy initiative."

Makes little sense. We have disappearing islands in the Marshalls, a North Pole you can reach by kayak and glaciers to wave goodbye to.

High gas prices put money in Big Oil's wallet which is then given to conservative Climate Change deniers. I know a fair number of Greenies and never heard that idea from any of them. If it's a bad thing blame Obama won't fly except with the tea bags.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.