Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2011, 03:00 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by M22KLARS View Post
Yup. $4 a gallon no problem. $5 a gallon no Problem. $6 a gallon no problem. You pump it out I'll burn it up.
Want to adopt a nice Minnesota guy? I shovel snow, shoot gophers in the head and I'm very kind to dragonflies.

My doc's office is about 20 miles from me. The last time my Dodge Caravan made the trip I was down a half tank of gas.
I don't see him so often that's a huge problem but meanwhile Oregon Health & Science University want's $1263 Medicare refuses to pay them. (Medicare can get by with that sort of crap)
OHSU is owned by the state so when not paid they send the Oregon Dept. of Revenue after your 17 year old Dodge Caravan.

I can't decide if they're trying to help me save on gas or if they simply enjoy making my life hell.

In return I'll fillyour Hummer with muskie
Oil Roulette-muskie19.jpg 

Old 05-04-2011, 03:10 PM  
Lonely HUMMER Guy

I drive 56 miles a day to work and back. No I'm not gonna tell you the MPG specs of my H3. It's pretty close to a 1/4 tank a day but normally I don't drive the HUMMER as a commuter in the summer.

My street rod on the other hand... God I can't even calculate MPG with that. It's probably more like 3 galons to the minute.

Fortunately, I drive a CTS for summer commute which nets me around 26 MPG if I baby it. If not I'm still around the 21 MPG mark.

Not to mention my wife works from home so she never has a commute and doesn't EVER buy gas. Between that and the CTS I like to think that it offsets the HUMMER and the Rod.

But maybe I'm just telling myself that...

Old 05-04-2011, 03:20 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
M22, why don't you get a bike? I always seem to buy a bike wherever I'm at, at least for commutes. You can even get a plenty-quick mid-level bike (Ducati Monster 696, for instance) that gets 40-50mpg! I fill it up once every two weeks or so, and even at $4.50-$5 out here in Hawaii, it's only like $15 to fill up! Amazing!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 05-04-2011, 03:24 PM  
Lonely HUMMER Guy

I've had a couple GSXR's. Sold my last bike when my daughter was born but it's funny you mention a Ducati... I've been looking a Monsters on CL lately.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:26 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
A very fun and beautiful bike. It's definitely going to be different from the GSXR's you've ridden. My few bikes before my Duc were a CBR600RR, GSXR1000, and an SV650, and none rode like this. It's hard to explain...

Old 05-05-2011, 07:27 AM  
Lonely HUMMER Guy

I've heard that from other Ducati owners too. Are they pretty light?

I started out on a 99 GSXR 600 that I bought brand new with 7 miles on it. I had that till fall of 2001 and sold it for a '01 GSXR 750 that and old guy bought in the spring and had put 2700 miles on. About a year later I picked up a caged GSXR 600 stunt bike which was fun but I didn't ride it as much as I thought I would. Sold that about a year later. Then sold my 750 in 2009 when my daughter was born.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:49 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Mine's about 350 pounds dry - you can certainly throw her around underneath you, which is one of the reasons I love her. The 696 is more their city and traffic-fighter. The Monster 1100 and 1100evo are more serious/touring bikes. The 796 is a good mix of the two. However, I live on a 24 mile island with about a million people on it, so I went with the 696 because I weave through traffic/pedestrians a lot.

You can definitely tell why a Ducati's a Ducati when you ride one. I encourage you, if you're curious, to find a guy in your area with a Duc and see if he'll let you take it for a spin. I let a few guys in my unit do that and I've inspired two other Duc purchases so far

You could call me a salesman, I guess haha

Old 05-05-2011, 03:01 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by M22KLARS View Post
But maybe I'm just telling myself that...
I can tell you "get it". I have two female friends who ditched their bikes for reasons not unlike your own. Jake's right, great for commutes but I'm thinking around a campus or small town. On high speed roads you're at the mercy of blind idiots.
Now if we could only sell Jake on a Vespa.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:04 PM  
Lonely HUMMER Guy

Unfortunately, on high speed roads I'm fairly certain that I'm not only at the mercy of those idiots but myself as well. I have a hard enough time keeping 4 wheels on the ground.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:02 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Hah, I've got 2 kids, so I'm definitely the most paranoid rider I know. I've been riding for about 10 years now, and I haven't wrecked yet Some close calls, though, of course!

Vespa's going to be a hard sell to me - maybe when I'm out of the Corps!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!