Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2011, 10:42 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
"I believe that we are a type of people that can take care of our own without the governments help."

We sure had the govmint's help making healthcare unaffordable. Remember when seniors began taking buses to Canada to buy affordable drugs?
oh you mean the drugs that are cheap in canada due to their "socialized" national healthcare using their group buying power and regulations to give them cheap medicines?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:43 PM  
Traveler

My point exactly! Perfect example! You played by the rules. You had insurance. Someone else, without insurance (he was breaking the law by the way) affected your life and wound up leaving you with the expense. With medical, if someone who is NOT COVERED, just like the fellow who affected you in the car wreck, gets chronically ill, and a hospital treats that person, in a much broader sense, it affects you too, and everyone else. We all foot the bill. While I disagree with forcing people to buy insurance, I understand that it's intended to keep everyone else from bearing the brunt of those not insured was all. In my anology, where healthcare is concerned, everyone is a car owner and on the road driving, called living! As regards the Canadian system, it's not perfect, no one said it was, and yes people do wait, but if you have a serious issue, they move you to the front of the line. Furthermore, if you don't have health insurance in this country, and you live hand to mouth, as many Americans do (stuff is getting very expensive these days) then you are waiting a long time too, and besides, I don't see mainstream news such as the BBC, bitterly complaining about how fouled up socialized medicine is!!! As a side note.... I happen to live with a chronically ill person. My wife. 19 years. 10 of those years she has been very ill, and as her condition is pre existing, insurance companies won't even touch her for any reasonable amount of money. Am I bitter about insurance companies? You-bet-I-am! I've sat up all night in bed holding her close, while she suffered like you can't imagine. Most people get pissed about the healthcare debate.....Brother, I've lived it, up close and personal. My story ain't no movie or documentary. No honey or fairy dusted gingerbread in this household! Me and my wife worked so hard to pay our place off, the house I've lived in my whole life. Pretty spooky when a hospital trip could cost your home just like that! As regards healthcare and medicine, I haven't the answers, and I probably should remove myself from this discussion, because I do get pretty much fidgity with people who just spout out nonesense without experience first hand, and I'm not talking about articles or links. SO! I'll just leave off by saying that my wife just turned 65 and she is grinning from ear to ear since now being covered. And as a person who has worked since 1963, she deserves it. Okay. Rant off.!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:22 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
oh you mean the drugs that are cheap in canada due to their "socialized" national healthcare using their group buying power and regulations to give them cheap medicines?
"socialized" obviously bothers you. Communism died because human nature is to be lazy and there was no reward for working hard. Capitalism may well die because human nature fosters greed. I've heard "the free market will fix it" all my life but a free market without proper oversight resulted in a Depression.

Almost every European nation has a semi-socialized heathcare system. Brits bitch about their system but darn well aren't going to give it up. I'm on Medicare and it required 4.5 months to even get to see a podiatrist here in the US.
Affordable systems uses triage to determine who needs immediate care and who can wait. A Superpower should be able to ensure affordable healthcare for everyone. Hospital Corporations, Big Pharma and personal injury lawyers are pumping in millions to keep the system they've been milking.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.