Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2010, 05:33 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
"Our combat role in Iraq has ended"

I'm a Marine. I work a lot. I don't have cable. I don't care about politics. As Marines, we get the job done no matter what without asking questions and whilst keeping our personal opinions to ourselves - that's what makes us the Marine Corps.

But when I caught wind of the President's speech claiming our "combat role" has ended in Iraq, I couldn't believe my ears.

I've got 3 neighbors, two Army infantrymen and one Army mortarman, whom are all in Iraq right now. I talk to them quite often, and nothing has changed. The violence has actually gone up over the past month or so. These men's wives and kids are alone because their dads are over in Iraq, where our "combat role is over", yet they're still risking their lives day in and day out so that their families can be safe. And all the while, our President is claiming our "combat role" is over.

Is there a bigger slap in the face to our troops, than to act like they're not over there doing what they're doing?

I've never seen a bigger political ploy.

I can't believe we have a President who can look America in the eyes, and flat out lie.

If America is naive enough to believe these lies without even checking with our troops "over there", then our country deserves our President.

I'll continue to do my job, get deployed and do what we do. But I hope you guys think twice before accepting what a politician, with no military experience, says on behalf of our hard-working men and women that are outside our Blessed United States.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 10-13-2010, 12:39 PM  

Austin
I was wondering how combat was ending but issues remained. Like Bush declaring the war in Iraq finished before we had won.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:06 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Did Bush declare the war finished? I don't ever remember reading that.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:12 PM  

Austin
You're kidding right? It was a big deal.

2003 Mission Accomplished Speech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Our combat role in Iraq has ended"-mission-accomplished.jpg 

Old 10-13-2010, 01:19 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Ahh, I was deployed, but just read it.

He definitely seemed less conclusive about things.

"We have difficult work to do in Iraq. We are bringing order to parts of that country that remain dangerous."[10]
"Our mission continues...The War on Terror continues, yet it is not endless. We do not know the day of final victory, but we have seen the turning of the tide."

But it is a good example of people just jumping at the bit to claim success in Iraq to try and get re-elected.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:31 PM  

Austin
It was just a declaration to the end of official combat operations, but declaring success in war is tantamount to declaring victory.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:35 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Both speeches were ridiculous, and anyone who knows anything about the status of Iraq knows that they were political ploys

Like I said, military operations are still alive and well

Old 10-13-2010, 01:44 PM  

Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
Both speeches were ridiculous, and anyone who knows anything about the status of Iraq knows that they were political ploys

Like I said, military operations are still alive and well
Oh I know it. Thanks to all those guys for doing it.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:46 PM  

Nashville, TN
[QUOTE=Jake7;22796]I can't believe we have a President who can look America in the eyes, and flat out lie.QUOTE]

You don't follow politics much, do ya. You know the old saying about how do you tell if a politican is lying, if their lips are moving?

The thing I don't understand if why does the top military brass not call out the lies being spread by the White House? If I'm a General with all the crap on my shoulder, why doesn't one of them step up for the troops in harms way. Shouldn't my first loyalty be to the servicemen under my command?

...and Jake, Thank-you and your family for your service and sacrifice you make for our country. A lot of us really appreciate you and your fellow servicemen and women.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:53 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
No I'm definitely not big into politics - I find it just makes my job a bit harder if I have an opinion on it.

I agree. I don't know no one stands up. Protecting their job, maybe? Odds are, if a general came out openly against Obama in a critical light, then he'd be all but done.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!