Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2011, 08:33 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Perry: I'm Against It

National Politics / Debate

Robert Walker, Executive Vice President, Population Institute

Perry: I'm Against It
Posted: 8/16/11 04:17 PM ET

Robert Walker: Perry: I'm Against It

Quote:
Consistency may not be a moral virtue, but when it comes to the religious right it qualifies as a political virtue, especially when it comes to the reproductive health and rights of women. Thus it came as no surprise today that Gov. Perry publicly reversed his longstanding support for requiring girls to be vaccinated against the human papillomavirus (HPV), a commonly sexually transmitted disease that is the principal cause of cervical cancer.

With that maneuver, it's now perfectly clear where Gov. Perry stands when it comes to government supporting the reproductive health and rights of women. He's against it.

As Governor of Texas, Perry has been an ardent champion of restricting a women's right to choose an abortion, and a stalwart opponent of comprehensive sex education. This year, he signed a bill that cut state support for family planning by two-thirds and effectively de-funded Planned Parenthood. In Perry's world it appears that government has no role -- except for promoting abstinence -- in preventing unintended pregnancies or the transmission of sexually transmitted disease.

And that's where his support of mandatory HPV vaccinations got him into trouble with the religious right. By earlier signing an executive order requiring a vaccination against a sexually transmitted disease, he was admitting that there might be -- at least in this one instance -- a role for government beyond encouraging abstinence.

Wow, what was he thinking? Even some reproductive health advocates draw the line at requiring vaccinations for HPV rather than simply making them more widely available to young women.

A few weeks ago, to the relief of pro-life advocates, he had to execute another turn around. He suddenly backed away from declaring that abortion was a matter of "states' rights," by publicly supporting a constitutional amendment banning abortion.

Fortunately for all those who crave political consistency above all else, Gov. Perry's latest about face brings him solidly in line with the religious right on any issue relating to reproductive health and rights. Aren't you glad that's clear?

Now, when he's asked at political rallies about his position on government's role with respect to family planning or reproductive health, Gov. Perry can steal some immortal lines from Groucho Marx:

I don't know what they have to say,
It makes no difference anyway,
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
No matter what it is or who commenced it,
I'm against it.

Your proposition may be good,
But let's have one thing understood,
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
And even when you've changed it or condensed it,
I'm against it.
Perry: I'm Against It-perry-groucho.jpg 

Old 08-19-2011, 07:45 AM  

Reproductive health always seems to boil down to "kill the little suckers" before they can be born!

Old 08-19-2011, 11:17 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Reproductive health always seems to boil down to "kill the little suckers" before they can be born!
And Pro lifers always worry about embryos but never give a rip whether the child is actually wanted or affordable.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:08 AM  

Why not wait until they are born and just get rid of the ones that are not pretty, slow learners or fall short in other categories. Oops! That was already tried in Germany wasn't it?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:54 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
And Pro lifers always worry about embryos but never give a rip whether the child is actually wanted or affordable.
mmmmm--

'There are many people who want to adopt children'

That has been said many times. In reality, I have heard diferently.
I consider foster care and other alternatives to be substandard in many cases. I won't specify the serious risks that a child can face in too many situations.

I quit trying to discuss this.

I was taking my class to lunch and a student, lower socioeconomic student, made a comment about having a baby. I said something like--'You need to think about the responsibilities', I must have said something else that was upsetting to a colleague. A pro-life supporter, wife of a minister. 'All children are a gift from God and I don't know what else'.
Yes, they are. Yes, they are. Life is sacred. Then we have to get into other areas--the having of sex.
This same woman later uttered the infamous comment---'I wouldn't let That put its feet under my table.'
'Children are a gift from God---and I wouldn't let That put its feet under my table--a child living in a Children's Home...'

I think of that still when this issue is featured.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:20 PM  
fustrated genius

Forget the baby, do you know what a DNC does to the utterus?
People need to own up to responsibilities to their actions. Abortion should not be used as birthcontrol and convenience for some silly little bubble gum popping dim wit too young to understand that YEAH, it CAN happen to me and NO, I'm NOT invincible and her silly little boy friend with the sideways cap and saggy britches looking for a quick fix to his harmonial craves. Basically, I always told my boys, "if you're not willing to spend your LIFE with that person, don't stick anything in it" because NO birthcontrol is 100%
Old 08-22-2011, 07:35 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
Forget the baby, do you know what a DNC does to the utterus?
People need to own up to responsibilities to their actions. Abortion should not be used as birthcontrol and convenience for some silly little bubble gum popping dim wit too young to understand that YEAH, it CAN happen to me and NO, I'm NOT invincible and her silly little boy friend with the sideways cap and saggy britches looking for a quick fix to his harmonial craves. Basically, I always told my boys, "if you're not willing to spend your LIFE with that person, don't stick anything in it" because NO STD prevention is 100%
Fixed it for ya.

While any other form of birth control can fail, and any combination of other forms of birth control can fail, a correctly performed abortion is 100% effective at preventing birth. Given the costs involved, though, the intelligent course of action is a minimum of two dissimilar forms of birth control. I crunched the numbers in another thread - it's basically impossible to have enough sex to make abortion the most preferable form of birth control.

But, your argument does hold true for STDs.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:19 AM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
I know a girl who has had NINE... count them, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, NINE abortions. She lives in an apartment her dad pays for. She does not have a job. Her father pays for her gas, car, insurance, food, bills, etc. She is 35 years old.

Guess who is trying to have a baby, but cannot conceive?

Karma.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:35 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney View Post
I know a girl who has had NINE... count them, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, NINE abortions. She lives in an apartment her dad pays for. She does not have a job. Her father pays for her gas, car, insurance, food, bills, etc. She is 35 years old.

Guess who is trying to have a baby, but cannot conceive?

Karma.
I am clearly out of the loop on this and many other things.

I saw a post--'Perry and other 2012 candidates signed a ProLife Pledge'--Romney and Cain did not.

ok--fine. I don't think that Roe v Wade will be repealed. If that were to happen--which is something I never think about---something would be done to permit abortions in extenuating circumstances.

eta--It has been so long since I reviewed Roe v Wade--I must have been in my mid 20's when it became law===do I agree or disagree--I would have to give it serious thought--not today--not tomorrow--
http://womenshistory.about.com/od/ab...roe_v_wade.htm

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.