Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2011, 09:57 AM  

A plan for a private welfare system

Consider two hypothetical organizations, alpha and beta. Neither organization is associated with the government.

The Alpha Organization is like a chamber of commerce. Its members consist of individuals and companies that engage in commerce. Each member exists as a corporation, although a member corporation can have as few as one stockholder. The members (that is the majority of their respective stockholders) will have something in common other than the fact that they are in business so they have a non-business reason for working together. They will also have to have a profit-sharing plan for their employees and a rebate plan for their customers to encourage customer loyalty.

The Alpha Organization?s members will also have a small degree of profit sharing with each other so they are encouraged to cooperate with each other as much as they are to compete with each other (assume that the organization is exempt from anti-trust laws).

The Alpha Organization has a board of directors consisting of 3 classes with each class being the same size. The first class is chosen by the organization?s members. The second class is chosen by the employees of the Alpha Organization?s members. The third class is chosen by the Beta Organization. The Beta Organization may own not-for-profit businesses and these businesses may be members of the Alpha Organization, but they won?t give the Beta Organization or its employees any right to appoint any class 1 or class 2 directors. All directors will have 1 vote each.

The board of directors of the Alpha Organization will have the power to:

(a) Establish a uniform code of commercial conduct for Alpha Organization members while each member will be free to determine standards for consumer pricing and product quality;

(b) Coordinate public relations and promotional campaigns to promote the business of the members;

(c) Establish minimum standards for employee education and training;

(d) Establish minimum standards for employee wages, salaries, benefits and workplace conditions- and

(e) Establish uniform standards for accounting and financial record keeping for the members of the Alpha Organization in order to ascertain annual profit and loss for each member.

The Beta Organization will be a private charity. Becoming an employee of the Beta Organization will be similar to joining the army. Its income and property will be exempt from taxation, but it will be allowed to lobby the government, i.e., participate in politics. The members of the Alpha Organization and their employees will pay dues to the Beta Organization, and the Beta Organization will be allowed to use lotteries and BINGO games to raise money to cover its operating costs. People will be able to get tax credits based on donating money to the Beta Organization in order to obtain a social welfare service that the government would otherwise provide, but the Beta Organization will not receive any direct payments or subsidies from the government.

The Beta Organization will provide these services:

(a) Operate senior citizen centers and provide low-cost housing for low-income senior citizens;

(b) Provide low-cost housing to armed services veterans who have been disabled by combat injuries as well as their dependants and surviving dependents;

(c) Provide free routine medical care to armed services veterans and their dependents and surviving dependents;

(d) Provide services for the employees of the Alpha Organization:
1. Provide low-cost rent-to-own housing,
2. Provide unemployment, medical and disability/workman?s compensation insurance,
3. Provide retirement/survivors? pensions;

(e) Operate a nationwide K-13 school system (with free tuition for the children of the employees of the Alpha Organization);

(f) Operate homeless shelters for individuals, families and victims of domestic violence;

(g) Operate a nationwide adoption agency for infants and orphanages for older children.

Would these organizations be feasible?

Old 05-17-2011, 10:29 AM  

Greenville, SC
Hmm... I read your idea there and it is alot to absorb. Unless I am missing something, wouldn't it open the door for backroom deals like high prices on goods or low pay?? I don't know, I may be missing something...

It might allow for the "corporations" to work together more to take advantage of everyone. Almost like one big monopoly??? Sorry, it is alot to absorb but I do like the idea of out of the box thinking!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:35 AM  
Traveler

Ship all the recipients of welfare to China or India. Simple. You want welfare lady? You need to go to low income housing in China, where we feed you lead and industrial melomine. Would sure save the companies money!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:23 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Hmm... I read your idea there and it is alot to absorb. Unless I am missing something, wouldn't it open the door for backroom deals like high prices on goods or low pay?? I don't know, I may be missing something...

It might allow for the "corporations" to work together more to take advantage of everyone. Almost like one big monopoly??? Sorry, it is alot to absorb but I do like the idea of out of the box thinking!
My idea is modeled in part on the National Recovery Administration, a New Deal program set up during the Great Depression and eventually struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court because it transferred legislative power from the Congress to the President.

The law that set up the NRA gave labor a right to unionize. But nothing in that law gave management any legal obligation to negotiate with labor in good faith. But at the same time management in each industry was allowed to collude together and fix prices and wages and working conditions. But this was mainly due to the fact that labor (and thus consumers) had no legal say in the process. Labor/consumers would be an integral part of what I propose. This would keep production costs and consumer prices in balance.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:37 AM  
fustrated genius

There's one that came about during the great depression still being used successfully today. If we can block the religious predjudices long enough to look at the system set up by the morman church for it's members we'll see a very functional self sustaining system that works and nothing comes for free and dignity is maintained for those in need.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:57 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
There's one that came about during the great depression still being used successfully today. If we can block the religious predjudices long enough to look at the system set up by the morman church for it's members we'll see a very functional self sustaining system that works and nothing comes for free and dignity is maintained for those in need.
If you were to call the beta organization in my plan a church, the Left would pitch a fit.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:13 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
Is the Mormon welfare system limited to Mormons? Will the Mormons help someone who is not a Mormon? I?ve read that the Mormons have community canneries in some places, but only Mormons can use them.

Even if what I propose here were to be set up as a church, I wouldn?t necessarily limit its welfare beneficiaries to church members, nor would I require members of the alpha organization to hire only church members for the sake of having a greater opportunity to spread the Gospel. I know all to well how certain churches refuse to give any help to people who are not members of the church. These churches turn my stomach.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:05 PM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaja View Post
Is the Mormon welfare system limited to Mormons? Will the Mormons help someone who is not a Mormon? I?ve read that the Mormons have community canneries in some places, but only Mormons can use them.

Even if what I propose here were to be set up as a church, I wouldn?t necessarily limit its welfare beneficiaries to church members, nor would I require members of the alpha organization to hire only church members for the sake of having a greater opportunity to spread the Gospel. I know all to well how certain churches refuse to give any help to people who are not members of the church. These churches turn my stomach.
People whom they can bring into the gospel, they will help out. They have a very impressive system of factories and stores, with even brooms as I recall.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:10 PM  
Traveler

You don't think it'd be cheaper to feed and house people from our country in need, if we shipped them to China? If you allowed private companies to run welfare, that's what they would do I bet. Surprised they don't ship prisoners over there for some financial savings!
Old 05-17-2011, 01:28 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
People whom they can bring into the gospel, they will help out. They have a very impressive system of factories and stores, with even brooms as I recall.
Are Mormon stores located in their church facilities? We have a fair number of Mormon congregations where I live, and you see more Mormons going door-to-door than you do Baptists. But I haven't seen any indication of Mormon retailing.

If Mormons use their churches as retail stores, how do they keep their tax exempt status?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.