Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2013, 10:49 AM  

The Problem: Unrestrained Entitlements

During he gov shut down I was at amazed at some of the problems reported, it seems that government vouchers and subsidies have permeated the very roots of our society. What does this mean now that unrestrained entitlements have out stripped the demographics? Polls reveal that about 50% of US households have at least one person receiving some sort of government benefit. So even though we may agree that the government overspends there is no consensus on where to cut. Understandably if cuts are necessary everyone wants the cut to affect someone else (even PBS thinks it shouldn't be cut). Since taxes cannot be raised to a level necessary to fund the entitlements the government prints money to cover the costs. When Obama pleads for a debt ceiling raise so we can meet our obligations, he means borrowing and printing money to pay the bills. This may work in the short term but in the long haul we will reach the point where the government will be printing money just to service the debt (all it does is pay the interest). Meanwhile Obamacare is sure to add to entitlements no matter what the CBO says, remember Medicare/Medicaid overran its CBO estimates by many-fold. Both political parties are complicit in this financial scheme that will eventually bring the train wreck. A balanced budget in a decade (if possible) may sound good but will do nothing to solve the debt problem as the debt will be too large to ever solve by then (if not already too large).

Old 10-22-2013, 01:03 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
As long as social security is not included in the entitlements. I paid for mine. I will never live long enough to get it all back and it would have plenty of money if congress had not stolen it.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:59 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
As long as social security is not included in the entitlements. I paid for mine. I will never live long enough to get it all back and it would have plenty of money if congress had not stolen it.
If congress had not stolen it and replaced it with iou's where would it be? You can't put money in a vault, it would lose value at the rate of inflation and the dems won't stand for privation.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:17 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
If congress had not stolen it and replaced it with iou's where would it be? You can't put money in a vault, it would lose value at the rate of inflation and the dems won't stand for privation.
The money could have been invested.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:41 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
The money could have been invested.
I agree with that!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads