Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2013, 09:54 PM  
American

@ 20 per Big Mac McDees goes under and no one has a job. Truth. Deal.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:16 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadarrows View Post
@ 20 per Big Mac McDees goes under and no one has a job. Truth. Deal.
Thank you for explaining why your $20/big mac idea won't happen, even if we set up wages based on the principle that human workers, motivated to sustain themselves, must have their needs fully met by "full time" employment, traditionally 40 hrs/week.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:33 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Thank you for explaining why your $20/big mac idea won't happen, even if we set up wages based on the principle that human workers, motivated to sustain themselves, must have their needs fully met by "full time" employment, traditionally 40 hrs/week.
So what is to keek hs students from saying:
"Why finish school? I can meet all my needs flipping burgers.."

Oh, still waiting on an answe to my $20 minimum wage question..

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 02-20-2013, 06:58 AM  
American

Quote:
No what I am saying is higher wages will result in higher production costs which will result in jobs lost. So now you have a few people making more money with over all higher unemployment. All of which will be brought on by big government sticking it's nose it where it never belonged in the first place.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 PM  

Kent, Ohio
http://thecontributor.com/40-america...8-minimum-wage
Old 02-21-2013, 07:43 PM  

Sammamish, WA
Quote:
The problem with that is that productivity has gone up (in general) due to technology. One can do a lot more work in less time with Excel, for example, than the 1968 full key adding machine, or pencil and paper. They can assemble cars a lot faster with robotics and automated assembly lines. Your typical minimum wage worker production has not kept pace, just a slight increase due to pictures on the cash register rather than having to enter dollars and cents, but of anything, that should translate to less skill needed, therefore lower pay.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Yeah, I skimmed your article there.... I'm with bisjoe but will also add that it is not just the so called 1 percent benefitting. Look at all the "stuff" people have now.... Gadgets, electronics, fancy stuff (even the supposed "have nots").. You know where it all came from? Increased productivity. You know why so many people can afford it? Increased productivity...

On another note..... Your article says minimum wage should be like 16 bucks or something right??? Well, let's get that experiment rolling . What do you think would happen? Might as well go with the 20 bucks I mentioned earlier.... I don't think that the proponents of the 9 dollars will answer my question about the 20 dollar min wage... You know why? Because it proves out the problems with continuing to raise it. If you can raise it to 9 dollars and nothing bad will come of it. Then WHY NOT 20 DOLLARS??

If you haven't noticed.... I'M WAITING.

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 02-22-2013, 07:22 AM  
American

The government has no constitutional authority to tell employers what they have to pay. I should be able to offer a dollar an hour if I want. No one should take me up on it thereby forcing me to pay what it would take to get someone to work. I should expect the kind of help I am willing to pay for. That is how it's suppose to work. If you don't want to work for 5 bucks an hour get the training or work hard enough to make better wages. If you make the company you work for money they will pay to keep you. As an employee you actually need to be making more profit then you cost. It's a pretty simple concept.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:25 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Yeah, I skimmed your article there.... I'm with bisjoe but will also add that it is not just the so called 1 percent benefitting. Look at all the "stuff" people have now.... Gadgets, electronics, fancy stuff (even the supposed "have nots").. You know where it all came from? Increased productivity. You know why so many people can afford it? Increased productivity...

On another note..... Your article says minimum wage should be like 16 bucks or something right??? Well, let's get that experiment rolling . What do you think would happen? Might as well go with the 20 bucks I mentioned earlier.... I don't think that the proponents of the 9 dollars will answer my question about the 20 dollar min wage... You know why? Because it proves out the problems with continuing to raise it. If you can raise it to 9 dollars and nothing bad will come of it. Then WHY NOT 20 DOLLARS??

If you haven't noticed.... I'M WAITING.
I can't answer your question because I don't believe in minimum wage as it is currently implemented. Regulating wages from the bottom is extremely problematic. The metric I would regulate would be poverty-level wages. Businesses that decrease poverty should be rewarded; businesses that increase poverty should be punished.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:27 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadarrows View Post
The government has no constitutional authority to tell employers what they have to pay.
You need to read your constitution again. You're looking for the "Commerce Clause".

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!