Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2012, 04:29 PM  

Raw Milk

Most people don't even care, but this falls into the category of "First they came for the Jews".

I was raised on raw milk. Until I was in my 20s one could still purchase raw milk from a farmer. It was a win-win situation as a good Jersey cow will produce 4 to 5 gallons of milk per day. Now 4 gallons is too much milk for one family, so selling the surplus benefited both the seller and the buyer. Plus what's good for the farmer's kids is good enough for me.

The Public Health Service came up with the Pasteurized Milk Ordinance (PMO), which has been adopted by many states. NC for example has a law against the sale of raw milk. A friend of mine drives all the way to SC every couple of weeks for the sole purpose of purchasing raw milk (and she is not the only one doing so). She raised a family of four on raw milk and continues to use it. She pre-orders the milk and meets a delivery truck at a predetermined stop to get the milk.

Like prohibition, all the law has done is make the purchase both more difficult and pricey.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:07 PM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
I read about a place in California that has a farm that sells raw milk (to their immediate area)

It was interesting reading about the differences between raw milk and conventional milk.

What pisses me off right now is the fact that we are paying close to $20 a week for 2 gallons of the 'glass jar organic milk'. That will be the LAST time I ever tell my wife where to find this vendor... I cant wait to cancel

Old 11-30-2012, 04:18 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
I grew up drinking lots of milk. Now I don't touch the stuff. Just don't like the taste anymore.

Raw milk as all the fat still in it.

http://milk.procon.org/view.answers....stionID=000806

http://head2totalhealth.com/2011/09/...teurized-milk/

I just don't understand it. If some stinking hippie wants to drink raw milk let them. It is not my place to tell them how to feed their family. I can't believe that we waste so much money and resources going after stupid crap like this.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:02 AM  

Greenville, SC
Sometimes my wife buys milk from Happy Cow Creamery right down the road from us... It is not homogenized but it is batch pasturized... It's pretty good stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Cow_Creamery

Quote:
Happy Cow Creamery milk is not homogenized and is pasteurized with a low-temperature “batch pasteurization” process that is reported to kill harmful bacteria while preserving vitamins and helpful enzymes. The dairy is inspected by the State of South Carolina. The milk is not raw, although raw milk is legal to sell in South Carolina from the farm or small stores.

A fatty acid profile on Happy Cow milk was performed by Utah State University, which found the milk contains up to four times the conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) of traditional store-bought milk and almost twice as much CLA as Organic Pastures Dairy Co., a popular raw milk producer in California. The CLA was 1.2 percent of the fat composition, according to the test.[7]

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 11-30-2012, 08:02 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
Soon all we are going to have to eat is Soylent Green and Soylent Red...
Old 11-30-2012, 08:43 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
Udderly ridiculous.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
Udderly ridiculous.
HA I see what you did there. You clever guy you.....

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!