Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 09:32 AM  
Senior Member

Kent, Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,237 | Kudos: +67
If there is a lesson to be learned from the right, it's that you can't afford to alienate the centrists.

Most of us in here are pretty close to the center. Rainbow is decidedly left, leadarrows is decidedly right, but most of us are within spitting distance of the center on most issues.

If the Democrats get the reputation that Rainbow has earned over the past couple weeks, they'll lose the center. This is exactly what happened to the GOP over the past two years or so since the Tea Party's big upset in 2008.
__________________

__________________
We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:55 AM  
Senior Member

Greenville, SC
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,141 | Kudos: +188
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
If there is a lesson to be learned from the right, it's that you can't afford to alienate the centrists.

Most of us in here are pretty close to the center. Rainbow is decidedly left, leadarrows is decidedly right, but most of us are within spitting distance of the center on most issues.

If the Democrats get the reputation that Rainbow has earned over the past couple weeks, they'll lose the center. This is exactly what happened to the GOP over the past two years or so since the Tea Party's big upset in 2008.
I think you are right that alienating the center is not going to win an election. I am hesitant to consider myself centrist though..... Oh, not a diehard republican though... I am more of a constitutionalist probably.
__________________

__________________
"A society that puts equality ... ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom."

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:13 PM  
Senior Member

Kent, Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,237 | Kudos: +67
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
I think you are right that alienating the center is not going to win an election. I am hesitant to consider myself centrist though..... Oh, not a diehard republican though... I am more of a constitutionalist probably.
Right. All I'm saying is that I think you and I have more in common with eachother than I do with Rainbow or you do with leadarrows.

Where we seem to be:
rainbow-----------rivalarrival--|--YellowJeep------------------------leadarrows

Where the parties seem to be:
------(<<<<<Democrats<<<|<<)------------------------------------------
----------------------------------|(>>>>>Republicans>>>>>)-------------

Where the Tea Party wanted the GOP:
----------------------------------|--------------(>>>>>Republicans>>>>>)

Where the GOP would be without the Tea Party
-----------------------------(>>|>>>Republicans>>>>>)-------------------
__________________
We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:54 PM  
Senior Member
 
mrmurdoc34's Avatar

Stafford, Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 582 | Kudos: +55
Images: 1
I must be the spastic cousin cause I am all over the place.

Gay marriage: I personally will not vote for it because I don't think the government (State or Fed) has any right what so ever to say who can and can't get married. Marriage is a religious act therefor to me under the first amendment the gov has no say in it.

2nd Amendment: I am of the belief that I have the right to own any firearm/weapon I can afford. If I can afford a tank then I could be able to own one. If I am Bill Gates and I wanted an F-16 then I should be able to buy one.

Budget and economy: I feel that the senate should have a balanced budget in no more than 99 Days after the session starts. If they fail to provide on in that amount of time all pay and allowances are stopped for them. They should not get back pay for this they should also not get any other coverage at all that means safety security and medical. If at 200 days with no budget the states have a right to fire you and hold an election to place a interm senator in your place.

I also feel that everyone that is elected from a school board member to the president should be able to serve no more than 2 4 year terms. This would keep the working from getting bogged down by leaches like Finestine and her likes.
__________________
I'm not Sheldon! I'm the Flash! And now I'm going to the Grand Canyon to scream in frustration *takes two quick steps* I'm back
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:08 PM  
Ric
Senior Member

Denver, Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 232 | Kudos: +28
Images: 6
What I find funny is, rainbow starts a thread The realm of "stupid"
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:22 PM  
Senior Member

Greenville, SC
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,141 | Kudos: +188
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Right. All I'm saying is that I think you and I have more in common with eachother than I do with Rainbow or you do with leadarrows.

Where we seem to be:
rainbow-----------rivalarrival--|--YellowJeep------------------------leadarrows

Where the parties seem to be:
------(<<<<<Democrats<<<|<<)------------------------------------------
----------------------------------|(>>>>>Republicans>>>>>)-------------

Where the Tea Party wanted the GOP:
----------------------------------|--------------(>>>>>Republicans>>>>>)

Where the GOP would be without the Tea Party
-----------------------------(>>|>>>Republicans>>>>>)-------------------
Haha, I like the visuals... I won't argue with what you have there... Except maybe rainbow left the scales after the election with the far socialist stuff!
__________________
"A society that puts equality ... ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom."

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:27 PM  
Senior Member
 
Hillman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 318 | Kudos: +31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
What I find funny is, rainbow starts a thread The realm of "stupid"
Uh oh......
__________________
A nobody telling everybody about Somebody.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:01 PM  
Senior Member

Kent, Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,237 | Kudos: +67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurdoc34 View Post

Budget and economy: I feel that the senate should have a balanced budget in no more than 99 Days after the session starts. If they fail to provide on in that amount of time all pay and allowances are stopped for them. They should not get back pay for this they should also not get any other coverage at all that means safety security and medical. If at 200 days with no budget the states have a right to fire you and hold an election to place a interm senator in your place.
I agree with you on most, but there are a few issues with a balanced budget requirement. While I agree with the principle and intent, there are a bunch of problems with actually creating requirements for it. Specifically, the time scale in question. If you make it on any arbitrary time scale, then you either can't plan long-term spending issues, or if the economy tanks over that time period, you're left in a situation where you can't fund your current obligations, which would further destabilize the economy. On the other hand, if the economy exceeds expectations over that time period, you've collected too much in taxes without pumping them back into the economy, thus stunting economic growth.

So while I don't specifically disagree, this is a *very* sensitive issue, and I don't trust long-term regulation of such a sensitive issue to the bureaucracy of congress.
__________________
We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:05 AM  
Senior Member

Greenville, SC
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,141 | Kudos: +188
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
I agree with you on most, but there are a few issues with a balanced budget requirement. While I agree with the principle and intent, there are a bunch of problems with actually creating requirements for it. Specifically, the time scale in question. If you make it on any arbitrary time scale, then you either can't plan long-term spending issues, or if the economy tanks over that time period, you're left in a situation where you can't fund your current obligations, which would further destabilize the economy. On the other hand, if the economy exceeds expectations over that time period, you've collected too much in taxes without pumping them back into the economy, thus stunting economic growth.

So while I don't specifically disagree, this is a *very* sensitive issue, and I don't trust long-term regulation of such a sensitive issue to the bureaucracy of congress.
I think we can all agree though that it has gotten WAAAY out of hand currently.... I don't mean just during Obama.... I mean for decades probably.
__________________

__________________
"A society that puts equality ... ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom."

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.