Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2011, 01:39 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Republicans Against Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
You'd figure the extremely old picture of the garment would give it away to common sense, but apparently not...
MOR=MONS
Republicans Against Science-047b.jpg 

Republicans Against Science-hie..kolob1.jpg 

Republicans Against Science-happy_valley_kolob.jpg 

Republicans Against Science-mormon-missionaries.jpg 

Republicans Against Science-mormon-barbie.jpg 

Republicans Against Science-mormon_translation.jpg 

Republicans Against Science-mountainmeadows.jpg 

Republicans Against Science-mormon-baptized-killers.jpg 

Republicans Against Science-mormon-women.jpg 

Old 09-01-2011, 02:04 PM  

Quote:
Atheists, at least the many I've encountered, are some of the angriest people I've come across. They seem very bitter, and spend a whole lot of their time and energy trying to prove something wrong that they don't even think exists. I don't know, it confuses me.
I think they may have a subconscious fear of being wrong, so they lash out. They also try to use God's name in vain, not allah's or some other god, however they miss it as God's name is not God.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:06 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Why such animosity towards Mormonism? It's not my belief, but I serve with some outstanding Marines which are Mormon. Blucher, I'd love to see you show some of those pictures to their face. I'd actually pay to see it.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-01-2011, 08:34 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
I said as a rule since I suspect some might be provoked into something, or you might site some wacko group like those who picket military funerals. However Christians are fair game for insults from atheists. True even of educated atheists such as Dawkins, he spews venom at believers. I don't call atheists stupid (even when they are), it just ain't nice. Are you really discriminated against for being an atheist?
absolutely, one of the best ways to be discriminated is to be an atheist in highschool in bible country, plenty of people here seem to think atheist equals devil worshipper.

venom? what like call out religions on the vile stuff they do? On encouraging people to be stupid? To ignore ethics and instead choose their beliefs out of a 2000 year old book written by man? what vile stuff has he said? or is it just the pointing out of falsehoods that bothers you.
Quote:
Atheists, at least the many I've encountered, are some of the angriest people I've come across. They seem very bitter,
well when 60% of the population of america still thinks the earth is less then 10,000 years old that is quite depressing
Quote:
and spend a whole lot of their time and energy trying to prove something wrong that they don't even think exists.
religion does exist, god does not, there is a difference
Quote:
I don't know, it confuses me.
I can see why it would appear that way, from the way you address it you don't seem to be able to see it from their perspective and wouldn't surprise me if they were bitter after you tried to speak to them about religion, but anyways yes the drug of religion does seem to make it's followers happy, just as heroin addicts and cocaine addicts tend to be happy on their drugs, religious users tend to be happy on their drugs, and just the same any attempt to separate the druggie from his drug usually results in some extreme anger as it is their crutch, how they deal with life's issues.

In the end I agree with you, ignorance is bliss. But being where I am now and seeing the absurdity and vileness that is religion I would much rather be unhappy and knowing then happy but brainwashed with ignorance.

Sorry if this offends you, not trying to be personal here. Religion is the way backwards, it pretty much always has been as it keeps people from being able to move forward and do whats right, hence my signature, when we have justified mutilating infants genitals and reducing sensation and sexual function for life for religious reasons/beliefs/tradition and society as a whole is ok with that then there are some serious issues (yes I know the few studies that claim it's better despite the less biased studies that say the contrary, common sense would say removing half the nerves would be a bad thing). beyond that, problems such stem cell research, ending of slavery, women's rights, discrimination, war have all been prolonged or created by religious beliefs, at some point society has to wake up and say "what the **** have we convinced ourselves of, seriously what the **** are we doing?"
Old 09-01-2011, 08:58 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I respect your view, my friend. I don't actively push my religious views on others, so I know they don't get frustrated by myself. However, I have many atheist friends whom I enjoy good discussions with about why we believe what we believe.

I'm not sure why you compared religion to crack or other drugs - I'm sure you're just trying to belittle it and make your point, but I think we can all agree that's a laughable comparison, and did somewhat offend me.

If we can't have a civil, realistic discussion about this, then I don't feel I should go on with it. Best of luck to you though, my friend!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:03 PM  

Quote:
venom? what like call out religions on the vile stuff they do? On encouraging people to be stupid? To ignore ethics and instead choose their beliefs out of a 2000 year old book written by man? what vile stuff has he said? or is it just the pointing out of falsehoods that bothers you.
That's what I am talking about, I'll just leave you to stew in those juices!
Old 09-02-2011, 10:17 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Why such animosity towards Mormonism? It's not my belief, but I serve with some outstanding Marines which are Mormon. Blucher, I'd love to see you show some of those pictures to their face. I'd actually pay to see it.
Wouldn't want them soiling those special Mor-mon skivvies.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:25 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Republicans Against Science

Quote:
religion does exist, god does not, there is a difference
I see it as god exists DESPITE religion which in no way resembles anything god supposedly taught.

Omnipitent All Knowing, All Powerful God supports backward superstitious money grubbing snake oil salesmen selling hate, bigotry and ignorance?

nah.........
Old 09-02-2011, 10:55 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I'm not sure why you compared religion to crack or other drugs - I'm sure you're just trying to belittle it and make your point, but I think we can all agree that's a laughable comparison, and did somewhat offend me.
It's a very old analogy probably originating with Marx. I'd think "placebo of the masses" more accurate.

32 Journal of Church and State 1990 Religion as Opiate: Church and Revolution in Comparative Structural Perspective

Quote:
"Religion is the opium of the people" is one of the most frequently paraphrased statements of Karl Marx. It was translated from the German original, "Die Religion ... ist das Opium des Volkes" and is often referred to as "religion is the opiate of the masses." The quotation originates from the introduction of his 1843 work Contribution to Critique of Hegel's Philosophy of Right which was subsequently released one year later in Marx's own journal Deutsch-Franz?sische Jahrb?cher, a collaboration with Arnold Ruge. The phrase "This opium you feed your people" appears in 1797 in Marquis de Sade's text L'Histoire de Juliette.
Opium of the people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-02-2011, 06:42 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher

Wouldn't want them soiling those special Mor-mon skivvies.
Ha ha ha oh their skivvies wouldn't be the ones to worry about, my friend!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!