Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2011, 11:37 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
My second response was moreso directed towards Blucher. I think he was confused.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 05-22-2011, 10:18 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I don't mean they're going to stop selling oil in America - but you already knew that. I meant doing corporate business and paying taxes in America.
You sell something for a profit in the US and you're taxed.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:25 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
You sell something for a profit in the US and you're taxed.
it is a bit trickier then that with global organizations as far as what counts, and why so many drug companies and some tech companies are able to use tons of loopholes to pay almost no taxes on foreign profits, I think it was google that paid a whopping 2.3% on foreign profits through these techniques.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:14 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
and why so many drug companies and some tech companies are able to use tons of loopholes to pay almost no taxes on foreign profits
They still have the problem of the money being stuck overseas. Recently they approached the Prez asking for a tax holiday enabling them to bring home the money for a token tax. I hope he tells them to pound sand!
Old 05-22-2011, 03:05 PM  

Sammamish, WA
people, you have to learn that formerly "third world" countries are starting to buy cars now - and gas! China, for example is buying a lot of our natural resources and that includes oil. Do you not realize that general motors made more money from sales in Europe than in the U.S. last year? I don't like corporate welfare either, but there needs to be some incentive for the oil companies or they will start to abandon the U.S. market, they really don't need it any more. Prices will go up like nothing we have seen before. An alternative, that will not likely happen, is law preventing the export of oil products coming from the U.S fields.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:16 PM  

If the oil companies could only get the subsidies that Ethenal recieves they would be happy. Also the government takes in almost 2 times as much tax money as the companies recieve in subsidies.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:09 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gun View Post
If the oil companies could only get the subsidies that Ethenal recieves they would be happy.
happier, they would still lobby to keep these subsidies
Quote:
Also the government takes in almost 2 times as much tax money as the companies receive in subsidies.
ok...... so why not subsidize every business that was they can pay more in profit to make up for some of the subsidies given to them?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:28 PM  

Barbers especally. No: just being smart: It is a ratio of dollars paid in taxes,people employed and the necessity of the product. You can live with out a haircut but you can't live without food and transportation.Subsidies are also tied to regulation. If a farmer plants too much grain he looses some of his subsidy. If an oil company doesn't explore and reinvest in the production of energy they also lose subisity money. " If it moves: Tax it": "If it keeps moving:Regulate it"."If it stops moving: subsidise it".It would help a lot if the president would let 87000 workers go back to work in the gulf.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:21 PM  

Saco, Maine
Thats the Reason Im Voting TEA PARTY!
Republicans, this alone should get you to abandon the party-dont-tread-me-flag.jpg 

Old 05-24-2011, 11:51 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gun View Post
If the oil companies could only get the subsidies that Ethenal recieves they would be happy. Also the government takes in almost 2 times as much tax money as the companies recieve in subsidies.
So, they are paying half the taxes that they would otherwise be paying.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an increase in the benefits that oil companies receive from public policy. My job has me driving about 200 miles a day, I'm filling up 3 to 4 times a week, nearly $60 each time. I use a hell of a lot more fuel than the average person, but my tax rate is fairly typical.

When you calculate my fuel bill, you need to look at the share of the tax burden I pay that would otherwise be paid by oil companies. Everyone who earns the same as me, pays the same amount of tax as me, shoulders that burden equally. Even if they don't consume any fuel at all. That is the crux of the matter.

You are demanding that the general public pay the tax burden that should be assigned to a company, and you're demanding that they pay it regardless of how many of the services or products a member of the general public actually consumes from that company.

Thanks, you prius-driving hippies, for helping me pay my fuel bill. My jeep literally burns what your prius saves, both the fuel and your money. So thank you, hippies. But I'm a fair guy. I'll vote with you to send me the bill I should be paying.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads