Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2011, 03:27 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Republicans lack an electable candidate

NJ: Republicans lack an electable candidate - politics - Decision 2012 - msnbc.com

Quote:
ANALYSIS
There were still eight Republican presidential contenders on the Dartmouth College stage on Tuesday night, but this contest has clarified a great deal in recent weeks.
Looking at national and state poll standings, fundraising, endorsements by key leaders, and campaign organization, it?s pretty clear that Rep. Michele Bachmann, former Speaker Newt Gingrich, former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman, Rep. Ron Paul, and former Sen. Rick Santorum will not win the GOP presidential nomination. Each can point to individual or sporadic successes ? or positive talking points about their chances ? but the fact is that if any were going to catch fire in this campaign, there would at least have been a spark by now. From the Oct. 15 date on this issue?s cover, there are 80 days until the probable Jan. 3 Iowa caucus. New Hampshire?s primary will come the next week, followed by an almost endless stream of contests.

Herman Cain, the former CEO of Godfather?s Pizza, has seen a spark recently, spiking in national and state surveys. (Straw polls are meaningless: Just ask Ron Paul, who won many in 2008 yet failed to win a single caucus or primary.) But Cain appears to have little if any campaign infrastructure and few resources to take advantage of a surge. Additionally, many Republicans believe that President Obama?s lack of experience contributed to his problems in the White House; they argue that electing Cain would simply replace one inexperienced candidate with another. While it?s nice to talk about an executive track record, the question remains whether running Godfather?s Pizza or overseeing 400 Burger Kings in the Philadelphia region are sufficient preparation for becoming president of the United States and leader of the free world.

Cain seems to be functioning as a parking place for conservatives who have grown disillusioned or who harbor reservations about the previous flavors of the month. Until he demonstrates strength in some of these other dimensions (fundraising, campaign organization), it?s a good bet that Cain is little more than a place for conservatives to window shop while they decide what to do. If Gertrude Stein were alive, she might observe that with the Cain campaign, ?there is no there there.?

In reality, there is an extraordinarily high probability that the Republican nominee will be either former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney or Texas Gov. Rick Perry. Two-thirds of Republican voters are now very right of center. Call them tea party or social conservatives or whatever you want, but they want a Republican nominee who is a no-holds-barred, unadulterated conservative. They want a Perry or a Bachmann or someone like that, but they aren?t sure they specifically want Perry, and they seem to have concluded that they don?t want Bachmann. In any case, that type of candidate does not include someone from the establishment Republican Party like Romney. Maybe it?s Romney?s Massachusetts health care plan, maybe it?s his (to use Edward Kennedy?s phrase) ?multiple-choice? positions on abortion or other cultural issues, or maybe it?s his Mormon faith, but these conservative Republicans have a lot of reservations about Romney.
Republicans lack an electable candidate-butter101.jpg 

Old 10-14-2011, 04:40 PM  

The republicans' ace-in-the hole is Obama's dismal record, but only time will tell.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:59 PM  
Traveler

jjust get a good computer and let it run 'the show'. save money--the current system has failed on both sides.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:18 PM  
fustrated genius

The SECOND COMING .. .. .. ..
Republicans lack an electable candidate-2nd-coming.jpg 

Old 10-14-2011, 06:33 PM  

Nashville, TN
I'd vote for Scoobe Doo before I'd vote for BHO...and he'd do just as good a job as the community apologizer in chief we've got now.

I like seeing Cain gain traction, its really freaking out the libs, I see a Cain/Gingrich ticket coming.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:16 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
I'd vote for Scoobe Doo before I'd vote for BHO...and he'd do just as good a job as the community apologizer in chief we've got now.

I like seeing Cain gain traction, its really freaking out the libs, I see a Cain/Gingrich ticket coming.
But is that enough for an Ohillerbama ticket? you know, it's all Bush's fault his popularity is going down.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:18 AM  

We have a lamestream media that says that being a CEO is not experience while implying that community organizing is. Amazingly there are always some who will believe it!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads