Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2011, 08:21 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Republicans try to defund npr

how dare a news organization not support anyone's agenda?

House Votes To Stop Funding NPR - The Consumerist

they say to lower the debt...etc... but npr's budget is a drop in the bucket compared to just about any program in the military, or the billions in welfare the oil companies get.... (which the republicans support) etc, Why kill the closest thing america has to an unbiased non-sensationalist news source?

Old 03-18-2011, 08:30 AM  

Greenville, SC
I feel that "state run" media is just all around a bad idea. Don't get me wrong, I watch PBS all the time and love many of the programs. That doesn't mean it is right. You look at oppressive nations with dictators and such, notice almost all they have is "state run" media. There is a reason.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:43 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
I feel that "state run" media is just all around a bad idea. Don't get me wrong, I watch PBS all the time and love many of the programs. That doesn't mean it is right. You look at oppressive nations with dictators and such, notice almost all they have is "state run" media. There is a reason.
It is not state run, it is partially state funded through grants. the bbc is widely viewed as a great news source willing to cover topics and stories that may not happen if commercial interests were involved. Do you remember the story about RBGH given to cows and it's dangers to society? probably not if you are in america, once the the news organizations got a letter threatening lawsuit the stories got pulled. We need an unbiased media that doesn't have the same limitations that commercial supported media does.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:15 AM  

Greenville, SC
RedJeepXJ, You are correct, I was mistaken. But, do you think that there is absolutely no influence by doners or the contributing government entities?

I think there is slant in all media one way or another. I have seen plenty of it on public media. I have seen it on the big news stations. I hear it on radio.

Again, I do like PBS very much, I watch it frequently and find much of the programming very interesting. My wife likes it because there are no commercial interruptions.

I don't think the government should be involved.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:54 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I believe NPR gets 4% of their running expenses from the Feds. That's in no way "state run".
Old 03-21-2011, 05:30 AM  

Greenville, SC
If it is just 4% then why is it such a big deal for them to lose the federal funding?
Old 03-21-2011, 12:38 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
If it is just 4% then why is it such a big deal for them to lose the federal funding?
All they need to do is become more like Fox News.

fox-news-identifies-a-nightclub-as-a-nuclear-power plant.

To the best of this author’s knowledge (and contrary to what Fox News reported earlier), there are no nuclear plants in Japan named “Shibuyaeggman”. There are actually no nightclubs here named that either, but there is a nightclub named “Eggman” and it is situated in Shibuya.
To the research team at Fox News: better luck next time.
Republicans try to defund npr-f2.jpg 

Republicans try to defund npr-cartoon-fox-news-ad.gif 

Republicans try to defund npr-f1.jpg 

Republicans try to defund npr-f3.jpg 

Republicans try to defund npr-f5.jpg 

Republicans try to defund npr-f4.jpg 

Old 03-21-2011, 04:32 PM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
All they need to do is become more like Fox News.

fox-news-identifies-a-nightclub-as-a-nuclear-power plant.

To the best of this author?s knowledge (and contrary to what Fox News reported earlier), there are no nuclear plants in Japan named ?Shibuyaeggman?. There are actually no nightclubs here named that either, but there is a nightclub named ?Eggman? and it is situated in Shibuya.
To the research team at Fox News: better luck next time.
Wow! So you must make a full time yob of this?

Wonderful...............eyes roll..............

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!