Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2010, 02:08 PM  

Washington D.C., VA
Second Amendment

The Constitution sets the idea that "a well regulated militia" is essential. Did we lose sight of that somewhere along the line? Switzerland has a "well regulated militia" and every member keeps an assault rifle in his home. Yet their rates for violent crime are extremely low....Check the statistics.... Perhaps we could learn something from the Swiss? What are they doing differently?

Old 11-29-2010, 08:50 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
They don't have any bleeding heart liberals that think guns cause people to kill people.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:07 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
X2. The same freedoms that make America great are the same ones that drag us down.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 12-02-2010, 03:07 AM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
X2. The same freedoms that make America great are the same ones that drag us down.
Huh? Sorry, I don't understand. Could you please clarify?
Old 12-02-2010, 07:36 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
What do you not understand? The same rights that give us our freedoms, also give people the right to attack our freedoms.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:55 PM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
What do you not understand? The same rights that give us our freedoms, also give people the right to attack our freedoms.
No, it's not clear. Are you saying that 2A empowers people to prey violently on others?

I have the right to own firearms and shoot them, whether for hunting, sport, target practice or self-defense. But I don't have the right to arbitrarily rob, rape, or murder someone just because I have one.

The firearm isn't important. The intent and integrity of the individual is what matters. It would be disingenuous to suggest (and I'm not saying that you are) that 2A should be repealed because there are many people who would abuse their right to own arms. Doing so would make violent, irresponsible, reprehensible behavior the norm and relegate civility to the back burner.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:57 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
i dont think he meant physically attack, nor do i think he was speaking specifically about the 2nd ammendment. i think he was speaking of people 'attacking' the idea or the right of specific freedoms such as the 2A.

democracy as a whole is its own worst enemy; not that i would have it any other way...
Old 12-04-2010, 07:26 AM  

Rochester, New York
Ah, gotcha. Yes, there are people who use freedom of speech and the press to advocate against that very right as well as other rights, including 2A, 4A, etc.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:54 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Yeahhh someone get this guy a beer!

Just making conversation - wasn't disagreeing with anyone

Old 01-06-2011, 01:49 PM  

Austin
I'm all for it. A well armed populace is the solution to most every trouble.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!