Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2011, 08:33 PM  

Should They Raise The Debt Ceiling?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:42 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
summary? not everyone wants to watch random 10 minute videos

Old 07-22-2011, 09:30 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
NO how do we keep spending money we don't have? If you run out of money in your bank account do they not cut you off?

What we need to do is cut spending. Rid the government of unneeded agencies like BATFE and DHS. We should rework the IRS code to make it SIMPLE and fair. No income tax just a sales tax. I should not be taxed more because I work harder to earn more.

How about cutting all the fat from the budget. Fix what is wrong and the rest will fall in line.

Spend less on the prison system and more on the education system. There is no reason why any child in the country should be learning in a school that is run down and not a healthy fun learning environment.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:49 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurdoc34 View Post
NO how do we keep spending money we don't have? If you run out of money in your bank account do they not cut you off?
so you have never borrowed money, even for a house?
Quote:

What we need to do is cut spending. Rid the government of unneeded agencies like BATFE and DHS.
military, we spend enough to compete with the next 17 countries COMBINED, shouldn't that be on the table?
Quote:
We should rework the IRS code to make it SIMPLE and fair. No income tax just a sales tax. I should not be taxed more because I work harder to earn more.
not really the issue, should people who make less be taxed less so they can get by, besides unless you make over $200k then when you compare EFFECTIVE tax rates you will pay more with a flat tax as most estimates for a flat sales tax or flat tax would be about 20-25%, if it is a flat sales tax then it would likely need to be even higher as it is a smaller pool then income because there will almost certainly be more exclusions, plus state sales taxes.

so how much do you make? will this system you "want" actually cost you more?
Quote:

How about cutting all the fat from the budget. Fix what is wrong and the rest will fall in line.
and what is fat?, the amount that would need to be cut to eliminate deficit spending would be monumental, not saying cuts shouldn't be made but we are so far off some elimination of tax breaks and subsidies need to happen
Quote:

Spend less on the prison system and more on the education system.
and where will this money come from, that would need an increase now as you would be paying for both as the benefit from education will take time.
Quote:
There is no reason why any child in the country should be learning in a school that is run down and not a healthy fun learning environment.
but yet let's cut spending.... one or the other, where will this money come from? where are the numbers to support this?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:38 AM  

Kent, Ohio
The debt ceiling is nothing more than a political tool. The TRUE debt ceiling is the cost of all legislation signed into law. This is analogous to congress placing its order. The "crisis" we're considering now is Congress seeing the bill for the food they just ate, and deciding whether they should dine and dash.

If Congress does nothing by August 2nd, they will lose this political tool. When all other options are extinguished, the 14th amendment gives Obama the authority to spend whatever he wants, on whatever programs Congress has previously authorized. The Debt Ceiling will no longer have any practical effect outside of Congress.

Cutting 3 trillion dollars worth of spending and demanding 1 trillion dollars from a simplified tax code is hardly unreasonable. The GOP's decision to balk at such an offer is nothing more than a demonstration of their malice towards the president.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!