Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2011, 02:37 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Situation with Egypt

What does everyone think of this? With Israel having so much influence over american politics in getting what they usually want and Obama's administration welcoming a change in regime from one that had been friendly with Israel do you think this will stress relations?

how about for Israel? They are quickly losing friendly ties with their neighbors and *if* Egypt were to go fundamentalist muslim this could be very bad for Israel

Personally I don't care about Israel or any country whose people do not demand free religion. If a country does not work hard to provide free religion, free elections and freedom of speech we should not give them a dime of support

Old 02-01-2011, 03:45 PM  

Rochester, New York
Help me understand something, here. While Israel has the highest percentage of Jews per capita, it certainly has freedom of religion. Christian, Muslim, Druze, Judaism and other religions as well as atheism coexist just fine together. The Declaration of the State of Israel affirms freedom of religion.

Different religions and ethnic groups are represented in the Knesset and on Israel's Supreme Court. Unlike many of its neighbors, Israel is not a dictatorship or a theocracy.

What would you like to see done differently?

Old 02-01-2011, 04:09 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Help me understand something, here. While Israel has the highest percentage of Jews per capita, it certainly has freedom of religion. Christian, Muslim, Druze, Judaism and other religions as well as atheism coexist just fine together. The Declaration of the State of Israel affirms freedom of religion.

Different religions and ethnic groups are represented in the Knesset and on Israel's Supreme Court. Unlike many of its neighbors, Israel is not a dictatorship or a theocracy.

of the middle east states, yes they are the most open, but they are still a jewish state and as such still have plenty of laws based around religion that clearly fail the primary secular purpose test, granted many laws in the u.s. do as well. But any state the still gives preferential treatment to one religion and lists itself as state of XXXX religion does not truly have free religion IMO.

for instance marriage is still only performed when both are of the same religion --- that is NOT free
Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM  

Rochester, New York
Didn't know about the marriage thing. Thanks -- it's good to learn something new.

I agree that's not something I'd condone (permitting people only of the same religion to marry and forcing a couple to go abroad in order to have their marriage recognized at home). That said, my libertarian religious tolerance threshold isn't tripped and I am concerned for Israel's safety.

I'm also concerned about general stability in the ME. Should the Muslim Brotherhood, which has expressed a desire to mix it up with Israel, bring on a war which disrupts oil production in the region, everyone will feel that and the feeling won't be good.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:36 AM  

Greenville, SC
I honestly don't know what the best thing is for over there. We do need to protect Israel.
We also need to support Democracy, not dictators. It seems the US has a bad habit of that. Supporting democracies only if it doesn't result in some uncooperative government. It is hard for me to say. I wish it wasn't necessary to get caught up in all these other countries conflicts.
I do wonder how the neighboring countries will react to the change in gov't in Egypt. (assumong that is the end result)
Old 02-02-2011, 07:41 AM  

Austin
Quote:

Freedom to practice, and the reality of freely practicing your religion are little different over there.

Quote:
Didn't know about the marriage thing. Thanks -- it's good to learn something new.

I agree that's not something I'd condone (permitting people only of the same religion to marry and forcing a couple to go abroad in order to have their marriage recognized at home). That said, my libertarian religious tolerance threshold isn't tripped and I am concerned for Israel's safety.

I'm also concerned about general stability in the ME. Should the Muslim Brotherhood, which has expressed a desire to mix it up with Israel, bring on a war which disrupts oil production in the region, everyone will feel that and the feeling won't be good.
It could be a good thing. The reason we are hated is due to our involvement in Israel, mainly. It would force everyone to play their cards, then when the dust settles, whoever is still alive gets the worthless desert it already is.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:57 AM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
Freedom to practice, and the reality of freely practicing your religion are little different over there.
Can you give some specifics on this? I've known people who have lived over there and they say no one cares where you go to pray or if you pray at all. So I'm curious to know how religious freedom is curtailed. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:12 PM  

Austin
Yet they attack Muslims with regularity.

Saying they are free is the equivalent of saying the blacks were free during segregation.

Technically are they free? So it seems. But who want sot live with that^, and look it up, it's all over the place.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:16 PM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
Yet they attack Muslims with regularity.

Saying they are free is the equivalent of saying the blacks were free during segregation.

Technically are they free? So it seems. But who want sot live with that^, and look it up, it's all over the place.
Yup, that's what I thought. Thanks. Adios.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:54 PM  

Austin
Quote:
Yup, that's what I thought. Thanks. Adios.
Problem?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.