Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2012, 10:15 AM  

Small Business Didn't Build It

This from forbes.com;
Quote:
7/17/2012 @ 10:43AM |12,991 views
Obama: Small Business Didn't Build It

President Obama just threw a grenade at small business. He implied that everything is done in a community setting with the government or outside help. He is implying that individualism and individual achievements should not be highlighted, as everyone and everything needs help. In his speech yesterday, President Obama referenced the involvement of the government in the development of the internet and in building roads and bridges. He is correct to say the government did involve themselves in those endeavors. That was the government of the people, by the people and for the people.

If we get into a discussion whether business owners want the government as their partners, the President is on the wrong side of the tracks. What is being debated is the matter of degree. How much government? How big should government be? Small businesses give back through taxes, jobs and charity but not by enlarging government. This is all about an attack on individualism and individual achievement. The implications is clearly is that we need the government and we need big government. Not a great position for capitalism, small business or entrepreneurs.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:19 AM  

I know many small business owners who are furious over Obama's statement. He is attempting to take credit for the sweat and blood that these business owners have full credit. I hope many are now understanding Obama's thinking, and will remember this vividly when it comes to voting!

Old 07-19-2012, 11:53 AM  

Greenville, SC
I think a valid question is which one can survive without the other. Business or government? I think the answer is clear. Business has existed since the first person traded anything with another person. I don't see any government necessary there. This was likely long before government existed anywhere.

It's like telling a gold medalist marathon runner that he didn't win but his shoes did. The dumb part is that all the runners were wearing the same kind of shoes!

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 07-19-2012, 05:59 PM  

Obama just doesn't have a clue, I am sure glad that I don't have to attempt justification of his position and actions. Oddly he derides Romney but chose GE Chairman and chief executive Jeffrey Immelt to head his President's Council on Jobs and Competitiveness. Just look at GE's taxes or lack thereof.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:15 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
This from forbes.com;
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I know many small business owners who are furious over Obama's statement. He is attempting to take credit for the sweat and blood that these business owners have full credit. I hope many are now understanding Obama's thinking, and will remember this vividly when it comes to voting!

did either of you see the actual speech it is from, or just believe a one-sided account?

in the actual speech he said small businesses did not build the infrastructure they use, as in there is a need for government.... major difference.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:26 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
did either of you see the actual speech it is from, or just believe a one-sided account?

in the actual speech he said small businesses did not build the infrastructure they use, as in there is a need for government.... major difference.
Okay, so what's his point then? The same infrastructure is available to all, right? The baby's momma with 6 kids (different daddies) probably uses those same roads to go use her food stamps.... So what? Why didn't he say that? Who is the government benefitting more? The better question is which is the
Larger voting block!

Old 07-28-2012, 09:48 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
Quote:

Thanks, I figured it was just another spin by the big liars, Fox News.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:25 AM  

Before you get caught up in who is lying or not check it out at
. Obama is only partially referring to infrastructure the government provides and remember he thinks big government is the nanny to end all nannies!
Old 07-28-2012, 12:12 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Okay, so what's his point then? The same infrastructure is available to all, right? The baby's momma with 6 kids (different daddies) probably uses those same roads to go use her food stamps.... So what? Why didn't he say that? Who is the government benefitting more? The better question is which is the
Larger voting block!
I am stunned, I just don't know how to respond to this, it is such a warped view, you really think industry/businesses don't benefit from infrastructure more? they don't use our roads, not protected by our military, use our justice system? benefit from people using public schools? you need to open your eyes, there is a reason we (and every developed nation) have instituted these things to begin with.

I suggest you move to one of those low tax third world countries where they don't invest in infrastructure and live out your utopia
Old 07-28-2012, 01:08 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
I am stunned, I just don't know how to respond to this, it is such a warped view, you really think industry/businesses don't benefit from infrastructure more? they don't use our roads, not protected by our military, use our justice system? benefit from people using public schools? you need to open your eyes, there is a reason we (and every developed nation) have instituted these things to begin with.

I suggest you move to one of those low tax third world countries where they don't invest in infrastructure and live out your utopia
Again I ask, which can THRIVE without the other. And just because one UTILIZES the infrastructure better than the other doesn't automatically mean that infrastructure is responsible for success. Does infrastructure make it easier? Sure, no argument there. Again, the same infrastructure is available to all.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!