Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2011, 08:14 AM  

Detroit, michigan
"small" government group-tea party-republicans turn to the gov't for financial aid

Isn't it a bit ironic that the "small" gov't teapublicans quickly jumped in line for financial disaster aid from the government following the recent tornado outbreaks and floods?
Doesn't it dawn on these people that there IS a need for many of these programs?
Why should MY tax dollars be used to help people in Arkansas or any other state? I didn't tell you to live in a tornado alley, you CHOSE to live there, knowing the possibilities. I didn't tell you to build in a flood plain, you thought it would be nice to live along the river.
When you guys go claiming the insurance for the destruction, MY rates go up.
I have to pay for your bad choice(s).
We do this things.....UNITED, because it's the right thing to do.
It's the right thing to do when we help families who have fallen on hard times, too.
It's the right thing to do when we protect Medicare and Social Security for the elders who have worked their lives participating in the production and development of this country.
Can you now say that somehow these people do not DESERVE this?
We are a UNITED States.
When we help our fellow Americans be healthy, safe, and comfortable, we help ourselves rise to the same standard of living we can all enjoy.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:19 AM  
Traveler

Hypocrites come in all flavors my friend. I've pointed out your above anology out in several other threads too. It's laughable.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:18 AM  
Moved NY => Abq 3/9/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by opheucus View Post
It's the right thing to do when we protect Medicare and Social Security for the elders who have worked their lives participating in the production and development of this country.
Actually, the Medicare and SS changes anyone plans are aimed at people that won't be collecting for a long time. It's the same as private companies that change or eliminate pension plans for 30 yr olds. The problem is, anytime anyone mentions messing with SS or MC, everyone thinks what you wrote, that some 75 yr old won't get their next O2 tank.

I'm fine with MC and SS changes, just as I would be fine with being 30 and knowing a reasonable time ahead that my company would be changing their pension system when it's my turn.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:27 AM  

Detroit, michigan
For some reason my original reply did not get posted.
I'll try to keep it short.
The changes are NOT aimed at 30 yr. olds, these changes effect ME ay 51, and possibly you, depending on your age.
The first change they made effected me, it went from 65 to 67.
Now they want to raise it to 70.
You know why?
'Cause it's harder for many to reach 70 yrs old, and of those that do, many wont collect for long.
People are NOT living longer.
At one point in our history the life span DID increase.
We were eating healthy grass fed beef. Vegetables were healthy and fresh from a local farm.
NONE of this is true anymore. Studies show that vegetables havve lost over HALF their nutrients they had in the '70's; You have to eat 2-3 times the amount of vegetables you ate in 1970 to get the SAME nutrients today.
Who does that?
Our meats are pumped full of antibiotics and growth hormones now, and they are being fed downer calves and cows.
Our drinking water has fluoride and pesticides and medications from all of the people who pas it into the sewage.
Do you really think we stand a chance of seeing those old ages of our grandparent?
People are NOT living longer today.
People that would have otherwise died years ago are living longer than THEY would have.
Anyt old data that shows an increase in lifespan is just that; OLD DATA.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:39 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Actually, the Medicare and SS changes anyone plans are aimed at people that won't be collecting for a long time. It's the same as private companies that change or eliminate pension plans for 30 yr olds. The problem is, anytime anyone mentions messing with SS or MC, everyone thinks what you wrote, that some 75 yr old won't get their next O2 tank.

I'm fine with MC and SS changes, just as I would be fine with being 30 and knowing a reasonable time ahead that my company would be changing their pension system when it's my turn.
I'm not sure how old you are and no offense intended as to age, but it sounds like you are saying "screw the young people, as long as I get the benefit", you could make an argument for changes *IF* there was an alternative and for medicare a voucher WILL NOT in any way shape or form make up for the medicare coverage, we need to fix medicare not destroy it. If anything the people that need to have ss and medicare adjusted ARE the baby boomers as they are the ones retiring with more guarenteed pension and medical benefits then anyone before them and anyone after them since pensions are practically dead for new workers, so why give this one generation of baby boomers everything? and let the other people suffer comparatively?

There will likely be a storm coming when the next generation starts thinking about retirement and realizes it can't happen, at least not anywhere near as good as the generation before them could.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:05 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Don, I met a man about 35 to 40 born with a bad heart that still works with an implanted defib type pacemaker. I ask because my ability to work was radically & suddenly changed at 50 well before I'd ever think of retirement. Will people perhaps injured by a car crash or a early stroke victim get what they require to live simply and receive adequate healthcare?

I had 21 years of working by 30 and for 14 of those I was paying SS. Anytime you have "for profit" mixed in with "healthcare" people suffer. Even with good coverage and a rehab dept. in my corner it took nearly a year to get a device for my spine.
In India they step over a corpse on the sidewalk So could any neocon I've ever met.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
"it sounds like you are saying "screw the young people, as long as I get the benefit"
I think Don just meant 35 years to save for retirement remained for most.

but........

The way they intend selling the death of Medicare or SS is exactly "screw the young because you'll be dead before they realize it"

Only greedy people think that mindset is justified.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads