Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2012, 12:41 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
so during coverage of the school shooting

I wish I could find a video of this because it was hippocracy at its best - on fox news during the coverage they brought on a psychologist that was talking about how even if he reports a patient as being a danger the patient just says he isn't and the insurance will not pay - meaning the hospital will not treat them and the fox news reporter commented on how awful that was.

I suspect the reason that interview or angle was not mentioned again is that every republican proposal in one way or another would destroy coverage for mental health coverage for non employer based plans entirely. and even on here it has been defended by republicans as something insurers should decide if they wish to cover, especially in debates about cross state coverage which would be a race to the bottom where mental health coverage would be the first to go.

Makes me sick when they try to defend a situation after they pushed so hard to put people in the situation to begin with.

instead it's easier to for fox to blame it on "not having god in schools" or some other bit of b.s. instead of facing real issues of living in a society.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:34 PM  

Kent, Ohio
A patient (and his insurance) should not be required to pay where a doctor indicates the patient is a danger to himself or others and the patient doesn't agree. That would be depriving the patient of his property without due process. If he is a danger to himself or others, this exigent circumstance warrants *temporary* detention, but there is no justification for a seizure of assets without a court order.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:12 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
A patient (and his insurance) should not be required to pay where a doctor indicates the patient is a danger to himself or others and the patient doesn't agree. That would be depriving the patient of his property without due process. If he is a danger to himself or others, this exigent circumstance warrants *temporary* detention, but there is no justification for a seizure of assets without a court order.
but the problem continues, if a mentally ill person needs meds/treatment there are no real options for mental health, especially if poor....

The republicans especially have created a situation where insurance isn't guaranteed, and if they have insurance it may not be covered at all, prescriptions are more expensive, there are no mental hospitals/services, just medicate and kick them out of hospitals so no real method to make sure they stay medicated and then wonder why someone is so crazy and wont get help....

to put so many roadblocks to help and then wonder why they didn't get help is assinine, and as far as I am concerned the republicans have this blood on their hands.... we talk about gun control and the fact is that every other developed country has lower gun crime, so it is either gun control or better health services and/or a combination, but you really can't say it is neither since they also have "godless" schools and even lower rates of religiosity
Old 12-15-2012, 10:34 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
but the problem continues, if a mentally ill person needs meds/treatment there are no real options for mental health, especially if poor....
I didn't suggest that there were no real options available; I said that the patient should not be required to pay for treatment that a doctor insists on performing against the patient's wishes. Prisoners are afforded medical treatment at state expense. If a doctor considers a patient an imminent danger to himself or others, he should contact law enforcement and have this patient taken into state custody. That patient must be afforded due process.

If that process finds that the patient must receive treatment and must pay for his own treatment, that's fine. But he MUST be afforded due process prior to depriving him of his property.

Quote:

The republicans especially have created a situation where insurance isn't guaranteed, and if they have insurance it may not be covered at all, prescriptions are more expensive, there are no mental hospitals/services, just medicate and kick them out of hospitals so no real method to make sure they stay medicated and then wonder why someone is so crazy and wont get help....

to put so many roadblocks to help and then wonder why they didn't get help is assinine, and as far as I am concerned the republicans have this blood on their hands.... we talk about gun control and the fact is that every other developed country has lower gun crime, so it is either gun control or better health services and/or a combination, but you really can't say it is neither since they also have "godless" schools and even lower rates of religiosity
I agree, access to mental health care needs to be improved and destigmatized. It is a major problem, and deserving of a complete overhaul of the industry. I'm just pointing out one major issue that you seemed to overlook.

I think there is a need for more anonymous access to mental health providers. Consider a person who is actually a danger to himself or others. Perhaps he has frequent suicidal thoughts, or is suffering from auditory hallucinations. He's aware that he's got a serious problem. Even if we solve the issue of how the provider will be paid, this person isn't likely to seek professional treatment for fear of being locked up.

Now, if professional services could be provided with a high degree of anonymity, far more people would seek treatment. Doctor-Patient confidentiality is limited in its scope and doesn't adequately address this problem.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:07 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
I think there is a need for more anonymous access to mental health providers. Consider a person who is actually a danger to himself or others. Perhaps he has frequent suicidal thoughts, or is suffering from auditory hallucinations. He's aware that he's got a serious problem. Even if we solve the issue of how the provider will be paid, this person isn't likely to seek professional treatment for fear of being locked up.

Now, if professional services could be provided with a high degree of anonymity, far more people would seek treatment. Doctor-Patient confidentiality is limited in its scope and doesn't adequately address this problem.
not only that but the current system encourages avoiding needed care because then the insurance rate will go up or coverage will be dropped. Why get a cholesterol test if the results if bad will lead to higher or inaccessible insurance? This whole system we have is depressing... oh wait, I didn't say that, now my insurance will go up for depression....

Obamacare is a start but we need single payer
Old 12-19-2012, 04:23 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
The only problem I see with a single payer system is that who is in charge of all that money? Think about how much everyone in this country pays for medical insurance. That is a lot of money. When dealing that a lot of money that leaves things open to fraud. We all know that the government can't be trusted when it comes to money. How many days has it been since the government has had a real budget?

Look at social security. How many of us are forced to pay into it only to have our money raped and pillaged by Washington for something stupid. I don't trust the state or the federal government at all and no one else should either.

While on paper the single payer looks great on paper. Everyone who can pay in pays in. Then everyone even those lazy people who don't get a job like your gang banger and drug addicts get health care. I have a problem with that. I don't mine my money going for people in need. But, I have a huge problem supporting lazy people who want nothing more than to be a leach and suck the system for all its worth.

I know plenty about the state of the mental health care system in the USA. I have been dealing with it for 10 years.

Also unfortunately there are a good many people who claim to be crazy act like they are crazy but, are just a normal as anyone else.

Many people don't seek mental health treatment for family because it comes with a HUGH stigma attached. My 15 year old daughter has mental health issues from ADHD to Conduct disorder to reactive attachment disorder oh and a binge eating disorder. That is the problem all but the ADHD stem from one thing neglect by her mother. Also it is hard to find provider then when you do many won't take insurance. So you have to pay full price up front then you yourself have to submit the bills to your insurance then wait 3 to 6 months for payment. Then it is only a FRACTION of what you paid out.

I found one place that developed the only program shown to have success with RAD and just for a psych test for her to see if she truly needed treatment it was 1 week long and $15,000 that is just a test to see if treatment would work. This is nothing to the stigma my family still deals with on a daily biases. Because of the way my daughter did things in elementary school we were told to our face we were horrible parents and if it were up to the principal of my daughters school she would take my kids giver them their mother and have me arrested and locked away for life. It got so bad at that school that I could hear people talking as I came into the school for anything. They talked behind my back because they didn't have a damn clue what I was dealing with. Those people to this day still give me dirty looks if I see them in stores or at work seeing as I work in a high school. They called CPS on my 10 times every school year for 4 years. It got so bad that my son was being questioned every day when he started kindergarten. That is the main reason I took a job in an elementary school so I could move my son to my school and not have to deal with the stigma and not have his school years ruined by a bunch of stuck up women who didn't have a clue about what was really going on.

How would you feel if every time your kid got a scrape you had the cops called on you?

Just because my daughters injuries don't leave scares on the outside doesn't mean she is any less deserving than any kid with a broken arm.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.