Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2013, 10:05 AM  

Greenville, SC
So guns? or gang violence?

http://news.msn.com/us/chicago-woman...o-gun-violence

Quote:
Chicago woman loses 4th child to gun violence

Ronnie Chambers, who was his mother Shirley's youngest child, was one of at least five people shot and killed Saturday in Chicago.

CHICAGO — At least five people were gunned down in a single day in Chicago, including a 34-year-old man whose mother had already lost her three other children to shootings.

Ronnie Chambers, who was his mother Shirley's youngest child, was shot in the head Saturday while sitting in a parked car on the city's West Side. A 21-year-old man who was also in the car was wounded, police said.

Shirley Chambers, whose two other sons and daughter were shot in separate attacks more than a decade ago, was left grieving again on Saturday, WLS-TV reported.

"Right now, I'm totally lost because Ronnie was my only surviving son," Chambers said.

Shirley Chambers' first child, Carlos, was shot and killed by a high school classmate in 1995 after an argument. He was 18. Her daughter Latoya, then 15, and her other son Jerome were shot and killed within months of each other in 2000.

"What did I do wrong?" she asked Saturday. "I was there for them. We didn't have everything we wanted but we had what we needed."

Chambers said despite this latest tragic chapter in her life, she's not bitter or angry.

"They took my only child. I have nobody right now. That's my only baby," she said.

A few hours after Ronnie Chambers was killed, a gunman opened fire on three men near a South Side eatery, killing two of them and wounding the third, police said.

On Saturday afternoon, detectives were called to the scene of another shooting in which a man in his 30s and a teenager were shot to death. There have been no arrests.

Chicago's homicide count eclipsed 500 last year for the first time since 2008. As grim as it is, Chicago's homicide rate was almost double in the early 1990s — averaging around 900 — before violent crime began dropping in cities across America.

Last year's increase, though, stood in sharp contrast to New York, where homicides fell 21 percent from 2011, as of early December.

See, here is the problem...

Half the country sees this as a gun problem, the other sees this as a criminal problem.
I see this as a criminal problem. The argument against gun rights is terribly misleading. For example, here is some information that gives a more informative picture:

Quote:
Children Killed by Guns: In 1999, there were 3,385 firearms-related deaths for children ages 0–19 years. They break down as follows: 214 unintentional, 1,078 suicides, 1,990 homicides, 83 for which the intent could not be determined, and 20 due to legal intervention. Source: 2002 edition of Injury Facts.

Read more: Children Killed by Guns — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A09223...#ixzz2JI38ETtq
The anti-gun media would prestent it to say that "3,385 children were killed by guns in 1999."
They are unlikely to point out that a vast majority of them are between the ages of 15-19, nearly 1/3rd are self inflicted, and almost 2/3 are "homicides" of which a majority of those are gang related. What we have is NOT a gun problem. It lies with the actions of others. And when people are shooting at each other over gang turf or whatever, that really isn't my problem and I shouldn't be punished for that. Suicides? Come on. There are many ways to commit suicide and if someone is determined, they will do it by any means possible. I had an uncle who was in a psyche ward and committed suicide by jumping off a table headfirst.... That is NOT a gun problem. The gang problems (in my opinion) are a major breakdown of family problem that is enflamed by environmental/cultural influence (all working together). None of which should strip me of my gun rights.

The article at top appears to me to CLEARLY be gang violence related. It just makes me ill seeing these articles titled "GUNS KILLING KIDS!!"... SO misleading. Maybe it should be kids killing kids, or kids having kids that have kids that kill kids... I don't know..... I see several factors that seem to be closely related. A very unfortunate cycle. Kids being raised by one parent joining a gang and shooting another CREATING another single parent that is raising another future gangbanger..... What is the solution????? Well, it certainly doesn't sound like a gun problem!!!

Whew.... Okay, I will take a few breaths and turn off my rant!!

Oh, and one more thing.... Did you notice that the "child" being referred to in the article is 34 years old???? BS

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 01-29-2013, 05:40 AM  

Greenville, SC

Judging from the guns on that table, looks like an assault weapons ban might just do the trick! Maybe ben handguns... Oh, wait... Looks almost like a bunch of hunting weapons to me.... (well, except the lone pistol there...)

Old 02-14-2013, 05:06 PM  

Greenville, SC
I'm kind of surprised that some anti gunner didn't try to refute my information or my opinion.... I guess it cannot be argued against... I guess that happens from time to time.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 AM  

Kent, Ohio
In my experience, anti-gunners are a tiny minority. An outraged minority, but a tiny minority.

You won't get any argument from me. I've got a concealed carry permit and a Glock handgun on my hip right now.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:07 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
In my experience, anti-gunners are a tiny minority. An outraged minority, but a tiny minority.

You won't get any argument from me. I've got a concealed carry permit and a Glock handgun on my hip right now.
Seems like there are plenty of people who see an ar-15 and imagine a full auto machine gun in the hands of an inner city 16 year old gang banger. Not exactly a typical scenario.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:22 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Seems like there are plenty of people who see an ar-15 and imagine a full auto machine gun in the hands of an inner city 16 year old gang banger. Not exactly a typical scenario.
Plenty, sure. But not a majority. Feinstein and Obama have all but ruined the Democrats chances in 2014 and 2016. Hillary will have a hell of a fight on her hands.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.