Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2011, 05:41 AM  

Greenville, SC
Is it true????

Reason women earn less than men??

CEO: Monthly

I tend to think that maternity leave does cost a company money... Any thaughts? I'm sure that there are some who just don't think it is true, and there are some that think "the big bad corporations should turn a blind eye and suck it up"... Where do you stand?

Old 07-07-2011, 05:52 AM  

Sammamish, WA
Of course maternity leave costs a company money. So does paternity leave, offered by my employer and many others. So does sick leave, vacations, people visiting with co-workers or going online instead of working.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:32 AM  

Greenville, SC
I am aware that many companies offer paternity leave. I am also aware that (where I work anyway) the females BY FAR are out to care for sick children or if the school closes for something.... Whatever. I just do not think that the expenses are exactly the same. As far as the paternity leave thing, I doubt that as much paternity is used as maternity. Since you work at a place that offers it, are both used the same amount?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:50 AM  

The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provides an entitlement of up to 12 weeks of job-protected, unpaid leave during any 12-month period to eligible, covered employees for the following reasons: 1) birth and care of the eligible employee's child, or placement for adoption or foster care of a child with the employee; 2) care of an immediate family member (spouse, child, parent) who has a serious health condition; or 3) care of the employee's own serious health condition. It also requires that employee's group health benefits be maintained during the leave. The FMLA is administered by the Employment Standards Administration's Wage and Hour Division within the U.S. Department of Labor.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:34 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provides an entitlement of up to 12 weeks of job-protected, unpaid leave during any 12-month period to eligible, covered employees for the following reasons: 1) birth and care of the eligible employee's child, or placement for adoption or foster care of a child with the employee; 2) care of an immediate family member (spouse, child, parent) who has a serious health condition; or 3) care of the employee's own serious health condition. It also requires that employee's group health benefits be maintained during the leave. The FMLA is administered by the Employment Standards Administration's Wage and Hour Division within the U.S. Department of Labor.
What is your point? I am aware of the requirements (I think) unless you are saying that the entitlement for pregnancy is offered universally to men also. Even if that is the case, that proves even moreso that women seem to generally utilize the leave benifits more frequently.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think I did use FMLA when my daughters were born... Not sure. I know I had a couple of days off, not sure if they were unpaid or not (don't recall). Nonetheless, if I were actually having the baby myself it would have been MUCH more than a few days..

I actually did use FMLA one time for my fathers death. One week I think to help my mother get things taken care of. Anyway, where I work I have seen twice in the past two years where the company had to bring in temporary workers to fill the positions of a couple of pregnant ladies. I am not saying they shouldn't get the time off, I am just stating that the cost of employment for men vs. women may be different. That's all..
Old 07-07-2011, 08:40 AM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
Edit #1: i retract this statement as I refuse to get into this argument.

moving along...

Edit #2: I cant keep my mouth shut.

Why do women take more leave? Why do women have to go get sick children or tend to them if school is out? Because our male counter parts make more money. Why would I make my spouse leave his 15$/hr job when I make 11$/hr? Tis a simple questions.

If men had periods or got pregnant, we would never hear the end of you annoying banter about how it hurts, its gross, its uncomfortable, etc.

I don't think it's fair that I get paid less to do the same job. When I leave I am not getting paid, and when the company hires a temp, she is typically paid less than my salary any way. How is the company losing money here?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:18 PM  

I apologize YelloJeep. I was cut off and got busy before making a statement. In my former occupation most of the men would use FMLA as a way to take virtually unlimited amount of vacation, usually during the summer months, causing me, with many years more seniority, to be forced to take my vacation at a less prime time of the year. They said it was to be close to their newborn child, which I found interesting since they were off playing golf, camping, trips to Las Vegas, etc.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:40 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney View Post
.......Why do women take more leave? Why do women have to go get sick children or tend to them if school is out? Because our male counter parts make more money. Why would I make my spouse leave his 15$/hr job when I make 11$/hr? Tis a simple questions.

If men had periods or got pregnant, we would never hear the end of you annoying banter about how it hurts, its gross, its uncomfortable, etc.

I don't think it's fair that I get paid less to do the same job. When I leave I am not getting paid, and when the company hires a temp, she is typically paid less than my salary any way. How is the company losing money here?
So you do admit that women likely take more leave, right? You are probably correct, if the woman made more money than the man, it is more likely that the woman would be the one trying to go back to work sooner. I'm not necessarily arguing that.. Now, at the same time I must say that if my wife had been working a job making more than me she would still have had to take more than a couple of days just due to the recovery time from giving birth.

I hope you understand, this is not meant to be "anti women" or anything like that. I just don't think that all things are being taken into account when stating the pay disparity. I am willing to bet that the COST of employment to the employer is much closer between the man and woman than what is seen on the employees paycheck.

As far as the "temp" being cheaper? I doubt it. The temp is needed ahead of time to be trained, and the high cost of benifits for the employee on leave is still there. Also, temps get paid less because the temp service is getting a chunk of money from the company and only giving part of it to the temp.

Oh, and I don't doubt that I would hate to carry the burden of childbirth. I have the utmost respect for women like my wife who endured natural childbirth.

And as far as some men taking advantage of the leave... I don't doubt it.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:50 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
What is your point? I am aware of the requirements (I think) unless you are saying that the entitlement for pregnancy is offered universally to men also. Even if that is the case, that proves even moreso that women seem to generally utilize the leave benifits more frequently.
You need to catch the AFV clip of men trying to change a diaper without barfing. That's why the primary child caregiver is more often the woman.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:02 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
You need to catch the AFV clip of men trying to change a diaper without barfing. That's why the primary child caregiver is more often the woman.
Hey! That was me! No not really...... Only dry heaves here... I don't do well with diapers.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!