Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2011, 06:04 AM  
Traveler

The UN wants to regulate the internet?

Before I hit the panic button--I believe this bit of news comes from CNN--I want opinions.

The UN wants to regulate the internet --for 'substance'--diversity of cultural beliefs. If you post something that Iran or China wouldn't approve--you would be in violation.

This very minute --I would like to know what each and every candidate thinks of this. Newt would be the most likely, imo, to have some plan already in place for 'dealing with this'.

I cannot imagine what sort of negotiations will be necessary to settle this. US pulls out of the UN--and is immediately blown off the planet by Iran or China--yes, that is what I think could happen.

Your thoughts?

~~~
Apparently this has been 'news' for a while--I am out of that loop, too.
http://conservativebyte.com/2011/10/...l-of-internet/

'China tightly controls the Internet through a cybersecurity police force estimated to be more than 10,000 people who monitor Internet users and websites.

Russia’s authoritarian government has taken steps in recent years to curb Internet freedoms. Uzbekistan and Tajikistan also are authoritarian regimes that seek to control Internet use.

Gen. Alexander said that, rather than seeking U.N. regulation, individual countries “first need to step up and say, ‘Look, how do we do this without regulating it?’

Old 11-12-2011, 09:16 AM  
Traveler

U.N. should not regulate Internet | Deseret News

Today's grade for that CNN segment--'D-'.

Why did they not mention Gen. Alexander?

Old 11-12-2011, 11:11 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by addymiller View Post
Before I hit the panic button--I believe this bit of news comes from CNN--I want opinions......?
but you just referenced a conservative page.......

it won't happen just because a few countries don't like human rights (heck even the u.s. isn't great on that aspect), individual countries may censor their own nets and that is more of the issue here
Old 11-12-2011, 11:24 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR

The Wadical Wight is terrified of black helicopters and UN Boogiemen. We need the Rapture to clear out the loonies.
The UN wants to regulate the internet?-rapture2-2-1.jpg 

Old 11-12-2011, 11:34 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
oh furthermore there are already many forms of censorship in this country, especially on tv/radio, and the religious right has already tried to regulate the internet.....

Our population went ape**** over a fraction of a second long nipple slip on tv..... we are far from an liberal culture
Old 11-22-2011, 09:55 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
oh furthermore there are already many forms of censorship in this country, especially on tv/radio, and the religious right has already tried to regulate the internet.....

Our population went ape**** over a fraction of a second long nipple slip on tv..... we are far from an liberal culture
Maybe a law against the religious right, or better still just boycott their churches.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:35 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Maybe a law against the religious right, or better still just boycott their churches.
that would be fine except their churches keep trying to make what is not their business, their business, they lost the right to say "don't blame/interfere/ finger point" at us when they went outside their boundaries regulating my life by their beliefs.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!