Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2011, 10:51 AM  

Mill Creek, Washington
Unions are good for the worker,however, it is the corrupted leadership that is the problem. They do what they do in order to keep the power.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:20 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Goat View Post
Unions are good for the worker,however, it is the corrupted leadership that is the problem. They do what they do in order to keep the power.
I will not argue with that.... Often to stay in power though, the leadership has to continue to gain more for the employee,s who naturally want more.

Sounds eerily like our gov't....hmm...

Old 02-18-2011, 12:34 PM  
Community Active

Florence, OR
Oh, you mean our government (White House) and the DNC encouraging these teachers and Union Members in Wisconsin to walk off the job, causing schools to close, violating their contractual agreements? I doubt a "Sick Call" is going to cut the mustard here, this is an organized, unlawful strike!

Yep, sound just like 'em!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:43 PM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I think the state is in deeply in debt to the tune of 5 billion or so.

Why not just let the state go bankrupt and then all contracts with the unions who represent state workers are null and void.

Better yet, why not cut services, lay off teachers, lay off state employees, stop clearing the roads in winter, close school campuses and consolidate them, stop bus service and force parents to get their kids to school and pick them up, eliminate public transportation, reduce the police force by 50 percent; that way, the union folks would discover just how much their union really does for them.

It is the threat of strike and the loss of all of the above that is the crowbar unions have in bargaining.

The mind set that folks would be working for .90 an hour without unions is absurd! Trained, skilled workers would would establish a free market value for their trade. What would suffer is the apprentice program operated by many of the trade unions. I guess that would open opportunities to operate trade schools in their place.

If the folks didn't want fiscal responsibility in government, they should have voted the progressives back into office.
Sometimes people aren't too bright in what they vote for. Sometimes it boils down to a single issue. The stripping away of workers rights will rage on, and if it were possible to ship these jobs over to China, I remain certain that we'd do it! Then the kids and sick people could be shipped over their too, and life would be so perfect. I'm always amazed at how the administrators never cut their salaries or sweet benifits packages or retirements! Why doesn't it ever start with them first? You know....Never ask a man to do something that you wouldn't do?
Old 02-18-2011, 01:42 PM  
Community Active

Florence, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
I'm always amazed at how the administrators never cut their salaries or sweet benefits packages or retirements! Why doesn't it ever start with them first? You know....Never ask a man to do something that you wouldn't do?
I agree!! We used to have "Dollar a year Men" who served as elected officials for relatively no financial compensation. They did it because they cared about the people of their Communities, States and Country. People used to be responsible for their own health care and retirement, to day it is expected that the Company, State or Federal Government provide those benefits. There is no good reason for a Government Administration imposing anything on the people that they themselves are not willing to adopt for themselves.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:02 PM  
Traveler

Paydirt! I so agree here. These politicians got us all in this mess, then we take the bullet, while they head out on their yachts! Where are the Lee Iacoccas of the government. I really believe that we need a smackdown in the upper eshelons. You know? The kind that makes a loud....SSSSSMACK!
Old 02-19-2011, 01:40 AM  

Tacoma, WA
I got nothing against unions, just get them out of my government. Or at least make them compete with the rest of us poor folk. They wouldn't stand a chance if they have to compete for jobs in the "real world." Get the unions out of my government.

What have the unions done for you lately?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:06 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PragmaticHubris View Post
I got nothing against unions, just get them out of my government. Or at least make them compete with the rest of us poor folk. They wouldn't stand a chance if they have to compete for jobs in the "real world." Get the unions out of my government.

What have the unions done for you lately?
Really? ..........8 hour work day. 5 day work week.
Labor unions are not the only groups that protect and negotiate for workers' rights. The surge in union activity in the early- to mid-20th century in the United States caused the federal government to implement programs such as the federal minimum wage and the Occupational Safety & Health Administration, or OSHA. Today OSHA sets policy for workplace safety standards and performs inspections to ensure that employers comply. Government oversight allows unions to diversify their efforts by performing other tasks besides ensuring worker safety, such as negotiating health care benefits and retirement benefits for members.

SO! Let me ask you what private industry has done for any of us lately? I know I know.... Keep cutting wages, gut retirement plans ship jobs to China Blah Blah Blah
Old 02-19-2011, 01:27 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
Really? ..........8 hour work day. 5 day work week.
Labor unions are not the only groups that protect and negotiate for workers' rights. The surge in union activity in the early- to mid-20th century in the United States caused the federal government to implement programs such as the federal minimum wage and the Occupational Safety & Health Administration, or OSHA. Today OSHA sets policy for workplace safety standards and performs inspections to ensure that employers comply. Government oversight allows unions to diversify their efforts by performing other tasks besides ensuring worker safety, such as negotiating health care benefits and retirement benefits for members.

SO! Let me ask you what private industry has done for any of us lately? I know I know.... Keep cutting wages, gut retirement plans ship jobs to China Blah Blah Blah
You are correct in the list of things that unions helped bring about... And I applaud them for that.
But they kept going beyond that and now they strangle the life out of our ability to be competitive on the world stage.
What has private industry done? Oh, I don't know....I have a job. Many more coming to my area.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:45 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
"we don't have very many unions at all and there are some really good jobs out there."

The South has jobs but in many states you can barely live off your job. Look at a breakdown of which states pay the most taxes and which pay the least. The North has subsidized the South for years.
This Union bill in Wis. could help save our country-imgp1863_800.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!