Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2011, 10:54 AM  

not left not right

seems to me both sides have valid concerns,the private unions represent the employees of business run by meat eaters they protect there company bottom line.but public is a political game vote a democrat and he gives you pension deals etc whose cost don't show up till years later.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:00 AM  
Community Active

Florence, OR
Don't let yourself get caught up in the Republican, Democrat thing. Progressives have infiltrated both parties. They believe Government is the solution when in reality, Government is the problem. Too much regulation, to many taxes, a failure to have a comprehensive energy plan, failure to see beyond one oil rig catastrophe and restore the search for domestic sources of oil.

Regular gasoline is $3.20 a gallon here, in the middle of winter. Last year, it was $1.99 a gallon. By summer, if this trend continues; it will be over $4.00 a gallon or higher. The higher prices of products you are seeing are due to folks realizing that the price of everything is increasing due to the price of fuel and those folks are looking for pay increases to help them bridge the gap. Do I buy food for my family, pay my bills or buy gas to get to work is a question many of us have asked ourselves at some time in our lives. If you haven't, you have been fortunate.

Believe me, you don't want Government putting caps on how much a company, executive or employee can make. It kills incentive and slows the growth of business. They tried that in Russia. It didn't work there or anywhere else it has been tried. Get government out of the business of business, weed out the crooks and let the economy return to a normal operation. Our economy is like a patient on life support right now. We need to disconnect the tubes and let the patient recover on their own.

We don't need increased taxes, that takes money out of the economy. Whether we like it or not the world runs on consumerism, people spending money on products. You can kick start that with a tax cut made permanent. Jobs and prosperity will return, as people feel more secure about spending their money and businesses start hiring again to meet that demand for goods and services.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:01 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
"look at why the unions came to be ,, the hours they worked ,, the number of days they worked ,, NO over time ,, if you got sick FIRED ,on the auto makers line there was a drinking founten 6 feet away but , you couldn't get a drink as the line was moving to fast , and if you didn't get your part on the car ,, FIRED , no break only lunch .. but then the pay low so the company could keep all the money .."

Within the last 5 years "60 Minutes" did a segment on a Birmingham Alabama Steel Company. The guys near the blast furnaces must drink water all day to combat getting dehydrated. The catch is that you can only visit the john during lunch or breaks. These guys work in urine soaked pants every day.

Does anyone here know about the Triangle Shirtwaist fire?
Old 02-20-2011, 11:09 AM  

to be clear

to add...i am a union member would never consider opting out if i had the choice which i do.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:18 AM  

left or right

if my dream came true,america would make buy sell things here!like china build a plant here then export!if then you lose a job making widgets go next door and make widgets there with little or no loss in wages your not ruined.then talk about union concessions but now we need what protections we can come by more then ever!how many times are we going to be told to retrain! for what!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:21 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Don't let yourself get caught up in the Republican, Democrat thing. Progressives have infiltrated both parties. They believe Government is the solution when in reality, Government is the problem. Too much regulation, to many taxes, a failure to have a comprehensive energy plan, failure to see beyond one oil rig catastrophe and restore the search for domestic sources of oil.

Regular gasoline is $3.20 a gallon here, in the middle of winter. Last year, it was $1.99 a gallon. By summer, if this trend continues; it will be over $4.00 a gallon or higher. The higher prices of products you are seeing are due to folks realizing that the price of everything is increasing due to the price of fuel and those folks are looking for pay increases to help them bridge the gap. Do I buy food for my family, pay my bills or buy gas to get to work is a question many of us have asked ourselves at some time in our lives. If you haven't, you have been fortunate.

Believe me, you don't want Government putting caps on how much a company, executive or employee can make. It kills incentive and slows the growth of business. They tried that in Russia. It didn't work there or anywhere else it has been tried. Get government out of the business of business, weed out the crooks and let the economy return to a normal operation. Our economy is like a patient on life support right now. We need to disconnect the tubes and let the patient recover on their own.

We don't need increased taxes, that takes money out of the economy. Whether we like it or not the world runs on consumerism, people spending money on products. You can kick start that with a tax cut made permanent. Jobs and prosperity will return, as people feel more secure about spending their money and businesses start hiring again to meet that demand for goods and services.
I partially agree with you here. You can't dictate how much a person makes. I would just like to see a little bit of moderation on the execs part. They seem so anti American, and more "What's in it for me"? and it's really a shame that companies couldn't be a bit more generous. Some companies are making the employees part of the company in the form of a co-op with great success, but it means that the profits are distributed a bit morte evenly. In the 26+ years I've been working now, every single company I ever worked for in my field, in the state of Idaho, was out to get everything they could from the employee. Except 2. Of these two, one is a union, and we get treated pretty darn good as I mentioned before. The other was a private company in Idaho, who paid awesome wages and actually offered benifits like 2 weeks a year paid vacation, medical insurance and a company gas card after a year of service. This outfit was small, but people showed up early, worked hard, and it was such a great environment. I was in a leadership position, and looked forward to each day. The company took us out to dinner often, and had planned to take the entire team, 35 of is in all, on a one week trip to Jamaica, they were even flying us to Florida to board the ship. They touted the massive profits they made on our backs as the reason for showing their appreciation. It really does make a difference in attitudes, because all the other jobs I worked at over the years, it was fairly miserable. People screwing off, going to the bathroom for an hour at a time, etc etc. I've almost always been in leadership positions and it certainly is easier to run a team and get greater productivity when people feel like they're being treated like an asset, rather than a tool. Lastly, I know that high fuel prices are certainly a contributing factor in inflation, as is the demand for a product, like oil for instance, but companies like the oil industry and the pharmiceutical companies, are still realizing greater profits all the way around, in the midst of cranking the prices up.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:24 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveslaredo View Post
if my dream came true,america would make buy sell things here!like china build a plant here then export!if then you lose a job making widgets go next door and make widgets there with little or no loss in wages your not ruined.then talk about union concessions but now we need what protections we can come by more then ever!how many times are we going to be told to retrain! for what!
It really is a form of economic terrorism, what these guys are doing. Workers need representation, either from a union or from the government. People in power are generally NOT HONORABLE! Proper laws keep things fair for everyone.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:27 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveslaredo View Post
to add...i am a union member would never consider opting out if i had the choice which i do.
If unions ever came to Idaho, I'd sure as heck be there cheering. Right to work sucks butt in my opinion. It's always about anyone but the workers.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:30 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
"look at why the unions came to be ,, the hours they worked ,, the number of days they worked ,, NO over time ,, if you got sick FIRED ,on the auto makers line there was a drinking founten 6 feet away but , you couldn't get a drink as the line was moving to fast , and if you didn't get your part on the car ,, FIRED , no break only lunch .. but then the pay low so the company could keep all the money .."

Within the last 5 years "60 Minutes" did a segment on a Birmingham Alabama Steel Company. The guys near the blast furnaces must drink water all day to combat getting dehydrated. The catch is that you can only visit the john during lunch or breaks. These guys work in urine soaked pants every day.

Does anyone here know about the Triangle Shirtwaist fire?
Look up the story of "Continental can" and how they ripped off their loyal long time workers for more profits! History is full of classic sweat shop stories. The unions made the illegal here, so American corporations took them to India Mexico and China. He Blucher, is that the one where people died in the fire because the doors were chained shut? Just curious.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:31 AM  
Community Active

Florence, OR
In the past unions used this to exclude certain races from employment. The railroad unions excluded blacks , Latinos and Chinese (http://www.independent.org/pdf/tir/tir_05_2_bern.pdf).

If you think that unions originated to protect the workers, think again. They were used to protect jobs. Jobs for friends, relatives, people of a specific ethnic origin, workers who belonged to specific faternal organizations and for many other reasons other than poor working conditions and those causes you see glorified in movies and books.

Read the last paragraph of the PDF "Raceism, Railroad Unions and Labor Regulations"

Corporate owners used this to divide the workers. As long as they were fighting each other, labor wasn't so interested in what management was doing. The Owners of the railroad continued to hire African American workers because they could be hired below union scale. This policy kept the antimosity stoked between the races. As you can see from the article, the government, corporations and the unions perpetuated this segragation.

This continues today and has been expanded to discrimination based on sex as well as race.

The world is a mess because of mans greed. I've decided there is no fixing it, but I believe the first step toward doing so is to get government out of it.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!