Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2010, 12:07 PM  

Dayton, Ohio
From the picture...you need an AR !!

You will enjoy it's simplicity... and have fun with the family going shooting ! Family is all I have. I've paid my home off, drive a nice new car, retired at 47 yrs old, and look forward to another phase of my life in a few years(after my Boy's graduate).

One other thing....cashes are a great opportunity to teach navigation ,and talk about general life "stuff"... We hunt a lot in Ohio, and offer the best white tail "in the world"

I'm a disabled Vet who enjoys a new chalenge.... if life gets tough... we get tougher "in my home".... I'm sounding like John Belushi...lol

Stay Frosty

Old 11-05-2010, 12:17 PM  

California
We have lots of similarities. I'm medically retired from law enforcement at 54, and last year watched my youngest get her college degree in Biology. We are now empty nesters, but love it (except for the damn dogs keep us planted here instead of travelling around the nation!)

Old 11-05-2010, 12:44 PM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN

I had a 53 piece collection, sold most off while the money was good. Now down to 13 pieces. Ammo, ammo, ammo......5K to 10K per.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:05 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
beautiful, havasu! I, personally, don't really buy into all the hoopla, and don't think that we're ever going to see an "American civil war" or anything of the sort - at least not in my lifetime, but that's just me. I know I know, you can skip the preaching about how I'm going to be the first to go and whatever.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 11-05-2010, 03:35 PM  

California
There is nothing wrong being optimistic. Since I just read the book "Aftershock", which happens to be the first book I have opened in 25 years, I just want to be prepared. Also, living in earthquake country, and working for the Red Cross, I know it will be at least a week before we receive any federal assistance in the event of a major earthquake.....and with this Administration, maybe a month?
Old 11-05-2010, 03:41 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Hah, I agree that this administration is slow! However, in Denver, CO at least, my aunt is the disaster reaction task force president, and their official time for federal relief was either 2 or 3 days, at the most.

But who doesn't have supplies for a week at their house?

Old 11-05-2010, 03:47 PM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
Food supply, no store in the country has more than 1, maybe 1.5, days of food on hand. Shelves are restocked every other day if not daily. Most folks do not have more that 3-4 days worth of food on hand. What we experienced in FL during every hurricane scare is that the shelves would empty within 4-6 hours of a warning of a direct hit.

Most of America will not last 4 days at the most before panic sets in, hysteria within 5-6 days.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:26 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
You're saying most folks go big grocery shopping every 3-4 days? That's pretty absurd. I know we go maybe once a month or two. Now given, we shop in bulk at Sam's, but even when we didn't I know we never went more often than once every 3 weeks.

Are we talking about nuclear fallout here, or just an earthquake?

Old 11-05-2010, 04:31 PM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
beautiful, havasu! I, personally, don't really buy into all the hoopla, and don't think that we're ever going to see an "American civil war" or anything of the sort - at least not in my lifetime, but that's just me. I know I know, you can skip the preaching about how I'm going to be the first to go and whatever.
I think we're in the middle of a bloodless civil war right now. We have traditional Americans -- folks who appreciate the value of hard work, they're individualists, they believe in merit, and they expect to be paid commensurate with effort. But you also have a bunch of folks who do mediocre work in government gigs (or do no work at all) and believe they aren't responsible for how well or poorly they do: it's the government's job to tend to them. This schism is very real and very visible.

As a rugged individualist, I will never accept the point of view of "gimme pigs", and it follows they won't accept my way.

We've reached a point where a big percentage of American citizens are getting hand-outs in one form or another, AND we've reached a very interesting stage in our economic/monetary system: Bernanke is actively working to devalue the Almighty Buck. He will probably succeed. (His objective is to rally the stock markets by pumping a bunch more dollars into the wild. More investments will be made as a result of more cash. But the actual value of the wealth held in those stocks will remain flat or, more likely, decrease even if though the market appears to go up. He hopes we're dumb enough to see these "rallies" and believe everything is fine again, and we'll run out and go buy crap we don't need thus stimulating the economy. But I digress.)

When the dollar is devalued, those on the dole will find they can't buy as much or enough of what they want or need. In all likelihood, they won't understand why this is, and they'll blame greedy corporations for charging more. The Fort Sumter moment will belong to them; they'll get angry and frustrated and start doing stupid crap that gets people killed.

So goes one theory, anyway.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:37 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I definitely see a scary America developing, which makes me very sad. I suppose I'm on the side of the pull-your-own-weight-and-only-take-what-you-earn crowd, though I don't claim any particular party, because they all kind of disgust me.

Raising kids in this day in age is getting more and more daunting - it makes me feel bad to know that my kids are going to inherit a worse America than I did. That's one major reason that I favor living in the country rather than living in the city -it seems that most of the country folk still remember how the country used/ought to be run...

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!