Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2010, 03:46 PM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko View Post
Food supply, no store in the country has more than 1, maybe 1.5, days of food on hand. Shelves are restocked every other day if not daily. Most folks do not have more that 3-4 days worth of food on hand. What we experienced in FL during every hurricane scare is that the shelves would empty within 4-6 hours of a warning of a direct hit.

Most of America will not last 4 days at the most before panic sets in, hysteria within 5-6 days.
Hopefully, that won't happen, but it is possible. It's more likely to happen in localized areas near large urban centers if it happens at all.

Having a six-twelve month supply of food and other you like to eat and other consumables is smart. A zombie apocalypse isn't the only reason you might want such a store. Losing a job, having unexpected expenses, a storm or natural disaster might mean getting to the store is difficult or impossible. Just rotate out what you store.

Why go without if you have the room to store stuff?

Personally, I keep a little over nine months of food stored which covers the non-growing season in my region and then some.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:08 PM  

I'll be going to my Sister in Law's house. She is Mormon and she has her mandatory year's worth of food in her garage.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:23 PM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
Hah, I agree that this administration is slow! However, in Denver, CO at least, my aunt is the disaster reaction task force president, and their official time for federal relief was either 2 or 3 days, at the most.But who doesn't have supplies for a week at their house?

Quote:
A recent report produced by the U.S. Army War College?s Strategic Institute warns that the United States may experience massive civil unrest in the wake of a series of crises which it has termed ?strategic shock.?

The report, titled Known Unknowns: Unconventional Strategic Shocks in Defense Strategy Development, also suggests that the military may have to be used to quell domestic disorder.

?Widespread civil violence inside the United States would force the defense establishment to reorient priorities in extremis to defend basic domestic order and human security,? the report, authored by [Ret.] Lt. Col. Nathan Freir, reads.

?Deliberate employment of weapons of mass destruction or other catastrophic capabilities, unforeseen economic collapse, loss of functioning political and legal order, purposeful domestic resistance or insurgency, pervasive public health emergencies, and catastrophic natural and human disasters are all paths to disruptive domestic shock.? it continues.

?An American government and defense establishment lulled into complacency by a long-secure domestic order would be forced to rapidly divest some or most external security commitments in order to address rapidly expanding human insecurity at home??

?Already predisposed to defer to the primacy of civilian authorities in instances of domestic security and divest all but the most extreme demands in areas like civil support and consequence management, DoD might be forced by circumstances to put its broad resources at the disposal of civil authorities to contain and reverse violent threats to domestic tranquility. Under the most extreme circumstances, this might include use of military force against hostile groups inside the United States.? Lt. Col. Freir concludes.

See Pages 31-32 (PDF) for quoted sections
Army ‘Strategic Shock’ Report Says Troops May Be Needed To Quell U.S. Civil Unrest

Trust me, you won't want the fed anywhere near you, family or not.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:48 PM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
Quote:
You're saying most folks go big grocery shopping every 3-4 days? That's pretty absurd. I know we go maybe once a month or two. Now given, we shop in bulk at Sam's, but even when we didn't I know we never went more often than once every 3 weeks.

Are we talking about nuclear fallout here, or just an earthquake?

Ask people around you how often they stop a the store for suppliments to thier bi-weekly shopping? Unless you live in remote areas, it's my experience that most will go to the store at least twice per week for fresh staples. Not to mention the cost of groceries and sundries. The average family of 4 has to spend at least $200 weekly, not everyone can afford to let go of $800 at a pop.

No, we don't have to be in the midst of a nuclear fallout, we are teetering on the brink of financial catastrophe.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:42 PM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
YouTube - Glenn Beck Part 2 - What Happens Next? 11/5/2010

This show in it's entirety is a must see. This segment explains where we are and where we are headed. Watch with an open mind. The author is asked by Beck how soon day one is on the horizon, the author suggests it has come and gone already. The 15 days do not necessarily have to be successive.

No, I don't have my nose up Beck's rear, I'm not a follower of anyone, he's just one of a dozen or so daily sources of info.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:22 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Army ?Strategic Shock? Report Says Troops May Be Needed To Quell U.S. Civil Unrest

Trust me, you won't want the fed anywhere near you, family or not.
I was moreso talking about a localized event, such as an earthquake or flood - not something that needs martial law, per say.

Oh I didn't mean like she'd come over here to help me personally in Honolulu - she's just a reliable source of information. And I'm in the Marine Corps, and I live on a military base here on Oahu, so I think I'd find myself surrounded by "the fed" hah.

Quote:
Ask people around you how often they stop a the store for suppliments to thier bi-weekly shopping? Unless you live in remote areas, it's my experience that most will go to the store at least twice per week for fresh staples. Not to mention the cost of groceries and sundries. The average family of 4 has to spend at least $200 weekly, not everyone can afford to let go of $800 at a pop.

No, we don't have to be in the midst of a nuclear fallout, we are teetering on the brink of financial catastrophe.

$200 weekly? I, myself, have a family of four, and we go big shopping about once a month, and it's about $400 of bulk shopping here on Oahu, with one of the highest costs of living in the US, so I'm gonna have to call you out on that...

But, you are right, we do go little shopping in between, generally every two weeks or so - for us, though, it's generally for non-survival-essentials, such as diapers and wet wipes.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 11-05-2010, 06:54 PM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
Quote:
I was moreso talking about a localized event, such as an earthquake or flood - not something that needs martial law, per say.

Oh I didn't mean like she'd come over here to help me personally in Honolulu - she's just a reliable source of information. And I'm in the Marine Corps, and I live on a military base here on Oahu, so I think I'd find myself surrounded by "the fed" hah.

$200 weekly? I, myself, have a family of four, and we go big shopping about once a month, and it's about $400 of bulk shopping here on Oahu, with one of the highest costs of living in the US, so I'm gonna have to call you out on that...

But, you are right, we do go little shopping in between, generally every two weeks or so - for us, though, it's generally for non-survival-essentials, such as diapers and wet wipes.
Well then, you are in that unique postition. You will have decisions to make. I was speaking in general terms. And I do understand how you have a different perspective.
You must be doing something right.....I just asked the wife....she says about $200 weekly. Now as I mentioned, this includes, trash bags, tooth paste, shampoo, laundry soap, and other personal and household items (sundries) that most by at the grocery store.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:40 AM  

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
There is nothing wrong being optimistic. Since I just read the book "Aftershock", which happens to be the first book I have opened in 25 years, I just want to be prepared. Also, living in earthquake country, and working for the Red Cross, I know it will be at least a week before we receive any federal assistance in the event of a major earthquake.....and with this Administration, maybe a month?

There's nothing wrong about being prepared, but a person who has 50 guns can't carry all of those while fleeing one's home, and you can't stay and fight it out because there could be at least 100 to 500 people standing outside your home firing into your house, raiding the doors and windows and killing you before you could fire more then 50 to 100 rounds and killing maybe 20 or 30 before they got you!!! Then they'll have your guns and ammo so they can commit more mayhem thanks to you and your gun and ammo collection. I don't care if your a former Navy Seal or Army Ranger, you won't last more then a hour in a mob attack scene.

Major earthquake? You gotta be kidding? I lived in Northridge California when the the Northridge earthquake struck in 94 and we never saw anyone with guns raiding others, nor did anyone break into our house or anyone elses house we knew of. There was some theft of property in abandoned homes but insurance covered that stuff anyways. And Federal aid, mostly water, didn't take a week to get to the worst areas, water was there the day of the quake.

The Hurricane Katrina was different in that the Governor of LA DID NOT file a request for to declare a Federal Disaster Emergency. The Mayor of New Orleans tried to get Blanco to do something but got no where and so he contacted Bush directly, but was powerless without the Governor, so after two days Bush overstepped the Governor (and overstepped State laws) and issued orders for the national guard after repeated pleas to the Governor Blanco failed to have the proper paperwork filed, then after more pleas to get the request in Bush had to once again overstep state law and forced billions of dollars of federal aide to the state. Blanco NEVER DID file the proper paper work that is required by all states to do prior to receiving federal aid for a state disaster. These state laws were put into force to prevent the federal government from meddling in their affairs, but Bush was receiving media flack for not doing his job because the media wanted to blame Bush for everything and anything that went wrong even if it wasn't his fault; the media never once indicated any blame on Blanco, a Democrat, for the delays, but it was entirely her fault. Technically Bush should have never responded till the request for federal aid was received, but Bush was a better man. Then to add insult to injury, Blanco, and her administration stoled and misappropriated most of the Federal money that was sent and no one to this day knows what happened to the money nor made a big a deal about it!!! Search "Louisiana Road Home Program" for articles on this.

Then the Media blamed Bush for the dikes/levees that broke allowing for water to surge through the city. Problem with that is the dikes were built in the 30's during Roosevelt administration by the Core of Engineers. It came to light after they built them that the dikes were 18 inches to short, Roosevelt and his administration said to ignore it and let it be. So it was Roosevelt and every single administration, as well as every single state administration after that that never fixed a problem they knew about since the 30's.

But I digest..., The Hurricane was a different problem due to delays brought on by the State Governor that allowed the situation to get out of hand. People there went on killing rampages and stealing anything and everything. And now with money difficult to obtain to repair all the damage it's a waisted city that could have survived had Roosevelt demanded that the levees be made correctly.

But all of this was Bush's fault.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:35 AM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
There's nothing wrong about being prepared, but a person who has 50 guns can't carry all of those while fleeing one's home, and you can't stay and fight it out because there could be at least 100 to 500 people standing outside your home firing into your house, raiding the doors and windows and killing you before you could fire more then 50 to 100 rounds and killing maybe 20 or 30 before they got you!!! Then they'll have your guns and ammo so they can commit more mayhem thanks to you and your gun and ammo collection. I don't care if your a former Navy Seal or Army Ranger, you won't last more then a hour in a mob attack scene. Major earthquake? You gotta be kidding? I lived in Northridge California when the the Northridge earthquake struck in 94 and we never saw anyone with guns raiding others, nor did anyone break into our house or anyone elses house we knew of. There was some theft of property in abandoned homes but insurance covered that stuff anyways. And Federal aid, mostly water, didn't take a week to get to the worst areas, water was there the day of the quake.

The Hurricane Katrina was different in that the Governor of LA DID NOT file a request for to declare a Federal Disaster Emergency. The Mayor of New Orleans tried to get Blanco to do something but got no where and so he contacted Bush directly, but was powerless without the Governor, so after two days Bush overstepped the Governor (and overstepped State laws) and issued orders for the national guard after repeated pleas to the Governor Blanco failed to have the proper paperwork filed, then after more pleas to get the request in Bush had to once again overstep state law and forced billions of dollars of federal aide to the state. Blanco NEVER DID file the proper paper work that is required by all states to do prior to receiving federal aid for a state disaster. These state laws were put into force to prevent the federal government from meddling in their affairs, but Bush was receiving media flack for not doing his job because the media wanted to blame Bush for everything and anything that went wrong even if it wasn't his fault; the media never once indicated any blame on Blanco, a Democrat, for the delays, but it was entirely her fault. Technically Bush should have never responded till the request for federal aid was received, but Bush was a better man. Then to add insult to injury, Blanco, and her administration stoled and misappropriated most of the Federal money that was sent and no one to this day knows what happened to the money nor made a big a deal about it!!! Search "Louisiana Road Home Program" for articles on this.

Then the Media blamed Bush for the dikes/levees that broke allowing for water to surge through the city. Problem with that is the dikes were built in the 30's during Roosevelt administration by the Core of Engineers. It came to light after they built them that the dikes were 18 inches to short, Roosevelt and his administration said to ignore it and let it be. So it was Roosevelt and every single administration, as well as every single state administration after that that never fixed a problem they knew about since the 30's.

But I digest..., The Hurricane was a different problem due to delays brought on by the State Governor that allowed the situation to get out of hand. People there went on killing rampages and stealing anything and everything. And now with money difficult to obtain to repair all the damage it's a waisted city that could have survived had Roosevelt demanded that the levees be made correctly.

But all of this was Bush's fault.
My collection became a liability to me, realizing that I could not manage that amount and also that I did not have enough ammo per rifle.....I sold. The real point in having multiple firearms is to have enough to supply friends, family, and neighbors.

Survivors will be mobile. Staying in your home will be a death sentence if you are in a metro. Fleeing to the countryside may also be a death sentence, those of us in the country will immediately set up perimeters and protect them, at all costs.

I put my money where my mouth is, I moved my family out of the metro 3 years ago for this very reason, I also chose a stretegic location for this reason.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:57 AM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
New Orleans is a good case study.
All the services that most come to expect WILL NOT be in place during a major event. No police, no fire, no med aid early on, triage will be set up by volunteers several day after, much like it was in Haiti, but initially you will need to fend for yourself.

Further, just as police and fire fled to care for their own in NO so will it be on a national level. Consider jail and prison staff, most will flee their posts and officials will have to release the prison general population or let them die in their cells, nationally there will be about 2-3 million prisoners released with only a skeleton staff or military to care for the remaining high security prisoners. The public at large will have to deal with these people.

Something most don't think about, Gangs. Gangs like MS13 have infiltrated the military over the last decade for the purpose of being trained to fight, also prisons are a training ground for gangs. These folks are waiting for a major event to take place as to be able to fight for and take turf and power, you will be in the crossfire and they will you us for resupply.

Look to the south, 28K dead in Mexico in the last four years. These men, fighters, are very well trained, very well supplied, well beyond the fighters in the ME. The first thing they will do is move into the southern states and take control. 28K dead in the first week should be expected.

US mil does not have the numbers to control the US general population and will be effectively impotent, even at 100% deployment in the states. This is impossible to accomplish even with all things in the govs favor. The one thing that they have is air superiority, air strikes cannot be ruled out, however, this will basicly be counterproductive and selfdefeting, but possible and will problably be used in a limited effort.

In the midst of all this the one thing to watch for is countries like Russia to aid support not to the gov but to the Patriot, they will want a piece of the US when the dust settles.

The one thing that is certain is chaos. Death, disease, control for power, starvation, dehydration, lack of services, lack of electricity and communication...

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads