Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2012, 02:06 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Voter ID

http://news.yahoo.com/great-great-gr...ortBy%3Doldest

Old 07-23-2012, 02:17 PM  

Greenville, SC
Okay? So what's your point exactly? Do you think it is crazy to require an ID or what?

An ID is required for lots of things as they should be. Why isn't anyone saying anything about that? I'm not quite sure what is required if you don't have an ID. Nothing at all? If that's the case then why even vote. There is absolutely no integrity to the system!

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 07-23-2012, 02:42 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Just posted it for discussion. Both points of view are in there. It will prevent some low income people from voting and some elderly.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:50 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
Just posted it for discussion. Both points of view are in there. It will prevent some low income people from voting and some elderly.
I don't understand how it would prevent either from voting. I think that's a load of cr@p. If they can have enough identification to claim any type of benefits or live somewhere then they can get an ID to vote. If transportation is the issue then how do they get to the polls in the first place???? Frankly, I think voter fraud is a much larger much more apparent issue than the few who may not be able to vote (which is questionable anyway.).

I'm pretty sure that to do just about anything you have to be able to prove that you are who you say you are. Loans, leases, rental agreements, state aid, ANY type of gov't aid.... Oh, and that article says something about Texas accepting CWP licenses but not student IDs... So what? The CWP is state issued right? And the student ID may not be.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:44 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Many cities have nonpartisan groups who give free rides to the polls. In my area, to get a free state ID, you must spend $25 to get a copy of your birth cetificate. So it would cost them $25 to vote. And there is only one place in this county to apply for a birth cert and it must be done in person. There is no public transportaton, and some areas in the county are 40 miles from the place to get the certs. If these problems could be addressed, I would have no problem with requiring ID. But this makes voting costly and dificult for the poor.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:01 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Many cities have nonpartisan groups who give free rides to the polls. In my area, to get a free state ID, you must spend $25 to get a copy of your birth cetificate. So it would cost them $25 to vote. And there is only one place in this county to apply for a birth cert and it must be done in person. There is no public transportaton, and some areas in the county are 40 miles from the place to get the certs. If these problems could be addressed, I would have no problem with requiring ID. But this makes voting costly and dificult for the poor.
I guess I just don't understand how anyone can get by through life with absoltely no form of state ID ever. I am assuming they are poor. Do they have no way to prove who they are to get their gov't handouts? If it isn't required, then OMG no wonder we are in such a mess.... I guess if these so called "non-partisan groups" can get folks to the polls then why can't they get them to the places to get some form of ID? I just think that voter fraud is a much more likely problem than a handfull of people not being able to get an ID (which to me is still questionable).

Old 07-24-2012, 05:47 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
Check the statistics. Voter fraud is practically nonexistant. If you look, all these voter ID laws were started by Republicans, because most of the poor and elderly vote Democratic.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:34 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Check the statistics. Voter fraud is practically nonexistant. If you look, all these voter ID laws were started by Republicans, because most of the poor and elderly vote Democratic.
So, let me get this straight... You honestly think that with all the efforts, smearing, dirty politics (all sides), and the cut-throat stuff that goes on with elections..... That a voting system that requires virtually no proof of who is voting there is virtually no voter fraud. I would have to say there is likely much more of it than we think. Maybe the stats say otherwise, I don't know... I don't know of stats that would reflect a high fraud rate unless the fraud is uncovered. Which I'll bet there is alot that goes on unnoticed.

I guess my next question is why require ID's for anything?? Doesn't it exclude poor or elderly from anything that requires an ID? I just think it is a bogus argument because it is being used on voting and not other things.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:34 PM  
American

If you don't need an ID for food stamps we may have found the problem.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:40 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadarrows View Post
If you don't need an ID for food stamps we may have found the problem.
Yeah, no kidding! Maybe we need to look at that too! Someone will come up with why that is a bad idea too....

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!