Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2012, 11:25 PM  

I had to sign a form to vote in our second primary. I asked the poll worker wouldn't it be easier just to produce an ID? I guess that wouldn't be politically correct. In NC it was determined that non-partisan elections might result in people accidentally voting for republicans, so the court ruled against it. See http://cnsnews.com/news/article/just...ic-party-label

Old 07-26-2012, 08:58 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
The partisan primaries are because people from one party would vote in the other party's primary to get a candidate on the ballot that had no chance of winning in the fall. Happened a lot in the South.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:24 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_news...aws-are-needed
Old 08-12-2012, 09:06 AM  

if a fraud is successful just how would they be able to analyze it? Something is missing from this picture!
Old 08-12-2012, 04:08 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
I guess I just don't understand how anyone can get by through life with absoltely no form of state ID ever. I am assuming they are poor. Do they have no way to prove who they are to get their gov't handouts? If it isn't required, then OMG no wonder we are in such a mess.... I guess if these so called "non-partisan groups" can get folks to the polls then why can't they get them to the places to get some form of ID? I just think that voter fraud is a much more likely problem than a handfull of people not being able to get an ID (which to me is still questionable).
The cases I hear are typically elderly people who either never had a birth certificate, or whose original certificate was destroyed or otherwise can't be obtained. Short of a court order, there's simply no way for these people to obtain an ID.

Personally, I think it should be handled like the post office handles certified mail. You go down to the post office with the little pink card and pick up your mail. If you don't have the card, you can hand them a photo ID.

So, the election board mails out voter cards to everyone registered to vote. No card? Hand them your ID. No ID? Hand them the card that was mailed out. If both an ID and a card are presented, the ballot cast on the card is deemed fraudulent and rejected. (With electronic voting, it wouldn't be difficult to throw out such a ballot)

I know I was rather upset a couple years back when I realized that my ID had expired. I had waited in line an hour for a clerk to tell me I needed another document, went home, got said document, waited another hour to be told my ID had expired. Yeah, my mistake. I was mad at myself.

If I discovered that on election day, I'd be *quite* pissed.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:52 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
The cases I hear are typically elderly people who either never had a birth certificate, or whose original certificate was destroyed or otherwise can't be obtained. Short of a court order, there's simply no way for these people to obtain an ID.

Personally, I think it should be handled like the post office handles certified mail. You go down to the post office with the little pink card and pick up your mail. If you don't have the card, you can hand them a photo ID.

So, the election board mails out voter cards to everyone registered to vote. No card? Hand them your ID. No ID? Hand them the card that was mailed out. If both an ID and a card are presented, the ballot cast on the card is deemed fraudulent and rejected. (With electronic voting, it wouldn't be difficult to throw out such a ballot)

I know I was rather upset a couple years back when I realized that my ID had expired. I had waited in line an hour for a clerk to tell me I needed another document, went home, got said document, waited another hour to be told my ID had expired. Yeah, my mistake. I was mad at myself.

If I discovered that on election day, I'd be *quite* pissed.
Yeah, I understand. Your idea there is not a bad one. I am willing to bet though that the ones against the ID requirement would be against pretty much anything that prevented them from stuffing the boxes. If they are so against the idea, counter propose another way to prevent the fraud.

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 08-14-2012, 03:44 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Yeah, I understand. Your idea there is not a bad one. I am willing to bet though that the ones against the ID requirement would be against pretty much anything that prevented them from stuffing the boxes. If they are so against the idea, counter propose another way to prevent the fraud.
The only issues I have with requiring ID are the edge cases - the people who think it immoral to mandate ID, and those who can't acquire a valid government ID due to lacking some of its requirements.

I mentioned "lack of birth certificate" - there's another one that I think is more important: "Lack of fixed address". You can't get an ID without being able to prove your address. This is a problem with the plan I proposed as well.

Everything in politics is a balance. For me to support mandatory voter ID, I'd have to know that it would stop more voter fraud than it disenfranchised eligible voters.

Can we make that claim?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:51 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
The only issues I have with requiring ID are the edge cases - the people who think it immoral to mandate ID, and those who can't acquire a valid government ID due to lacking some of its requirements.

I mentioned "lack of birth certificate" - there's another one that I think is more important: "Lack of fixed address". You can't get an ID without being able to prove your address. This is a problem with the plan I proposed as well.

Everything in politics is a balance. For me to support mandatory voter ID, I'd have to know that it would stop more voter fraud than it disenfranchised eligible voters.

Can we make that claim?
We cannot as we have no way of knowing who is committing the fraud unless we check their IDs.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:30 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
We cannot as we have no way of knowing who is committing the fraud unless we check their IDs.
This.

I have to ask... All the things that we DO require an ID for... I understand that most of them "aren't a right like voting so it's okay".. but are they more important than voting? If not then why do we require ID's for those things? Like flying, cashing a check, buying alcohol, cigarettes, GOING TO THE DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION..... All those things.... To make sure we are who we say we are. Is it not as important for voting? If it isn't necessary then why is it necessary for those other things?

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 08-15-2012, 10:42 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Voting is a right. It's not a privilege. To deprive someone of a right, the constitution requires due process.

Suppose I am mugged at gunpoint on my way to the polls, should I be denied my right to vote?

According to the constitution, I have not faced due process and have not been stripped of that right, so I should be allowed to cast my ballot.

Under Voter ID laws, I should be prevented from voting. Clearly, this is unconstitutional.

YelloJeep, none of the things you described are guaranteed rights. From a constitutional standpoint, all are privileges, and you can be arbitrarily denied any of them. Not so for voting.

How are absentee votes handled with voter ID requirements? Even if you require a copy of the ID, you can't guarantee that the absentee voter is the person who actually cast that ballot. Anyone with a phone camera can obtain a copy of an ID card.

I would remind you that the vast majority of soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines cast absentee ballots in their home state.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!