Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2012, 04:50 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
No, we shouldn't give them guns. Should we require that the produce ID in order to inherit them? Should we prohibit a person from being given a gift of a firearm because they don't have a government ID?

A government ID requires exact proof of age, address, citizenship. Why does a 40-something need to prove his age?

That's one point: the requirements for av government ID are not exactly the same as for voting eligibility.
Well, let me ask you this. When someone votes, do we care that they are who they say they are? Do we care that they are a citizen even?

Now, you may say that if they are registered then that is okay.. I do not recall what was necessary to register (it's been a little while).. But doesn't it require one or more things that someone may not be able to provide? (if you want to tell me what it takes to register that would help maybe?)

To register, I imagine you have to prove your age (since you have to be 18) and your citizenship (since the constitution requires you to be a citizen to vote), right? I don't know how someone does that without a birth certificate or something.... Which should in turn be enough for an ID. Right?

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 08-17-2012, 12:12 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Well, let me ask you this. When someone votes, do we care that they are who they say they are?
No, in fact, we don't. We take great effort to separate their ballot from their identity. We put up curtains and take multiple steps to ensure the privacy of the voting booth. We treat it as impolite to even ask someone how they voted. No, their exact *IDENTITY* is completely unimportant.
Quote:

Do we care that they are a citizen even?
Yes, absolutely. Their *ELIGIBILITY* is absolutely important.
Quote:

Now, you may say that if they are registered then that is okay.. I do not recall what was necessary to register (it's been a little while).. But doesn't it require one or more things that someone may not be able to provide? (if you want to tell me what it takes to register that would help maybe?)

To register, I imagine you have to prove your age (since you have to be 18) and your citizenship (since the constitution requires you to be a citizen to vote), right? I don't know how someone does that without a birth certificate or something.... Which should in turn be enough for an ID. Right?
Perhaps, perhaps not. When I go to the liquor store, the clerk isn't interested that I was born on 1 January 1972 (not my real birthday), he's only interested that I am at least 21 years of age, and he can determine that simply by looking at me. If I didn't have a birth certificate and could not obtain a valid one, I could appeal in person to the board of election and "prove" my age-eligibility simply by them looking at me. But that's insufficient for a government ID or passport; it's insufficient to prove my age for social security or other age-dependent programs.

How would voter ID affect absentee ballots? When I was serving in California, I was not eligible to vote in California, I was only eligible to vote in my home town in Ohio. How do I prove my identity to an Ohio elections board and cast a ballot when I'm stationed in California?

Old 08-17-2012, 01:30 PM  
American

In Indiana you show your ID to buy alcohol no matter how old you look. It's a new law...about a year old now I think. Even if they know you they have to check.

Well the bar I go to quit doing it but the store I go to still does. I thought I heard they might have repealed it but I'm not sure. I don't care either way. The only time I ever cared if I got carded or not was before I was 21....lol
Old 08-26-2012, 11:55 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadarrows View Post
In Indiana you show your ID to buy alcohol no matter how old you look. It's a new law...about a year old now I think. Even if they know you they have to check.

Well the bar I go to quit doing it but the store I go to still does. I thought I heard they might have repealed it but I'm not sure. I don't care either way. The only time I ever cared if I got carded or not was before I was 21....lol
Excellent point, only those not eligible, or those seeking their vote, would be against requiring IDs.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:40 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Excellent point, only those not eligible, or those seeking their vote, would be against requiring IDs.
Or those who don't have an ID, those who don't want to get an ID, etc.

Voting is a right. It's not subject to the restrictions placed on privileged items.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:30 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Or those who don't have an ID, those who don't want to get an ID, etc.

Voting is a right. It's not subject to the restrictions placed on privileged items.
Yet, one has to register to vote?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:20 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T
Yet, one has to register to vote?
Yes. You seem to think there is a contradiction there. Please explain.

Perhaps it would help to remember that when a person claims his ID is stolen and you refuse to sell him liquor, you infringe on his privilege. When he says his ID is stolen and you refuse to give him a ballot, you've infringed on his right.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:23 PM  

Greenville, SC
What information is required to register to vote?

Old 08-27-2012, 11:31 PM  
AZ Resident

Surprise, Arizona
The National Mail Voter Registration Form requires:
1. Name
2. Home Address
3. Mailing Address
4. Date of birth
5. Telephone number
6. ID number (drivers license number or SSN, there could be more options depending on state. If either are not available, the state will issue a number.)
7. Choice of party
8. Race or Ethnic group
9. Signature
Old 08-28-2012, 11:16 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild View Post
The National Mail Voter Registration Form requires:
1. Name
2. Home Address
3. Mailing Address
4. Date of birth
5. Telephone number
6. ID number (drivers license number or SSN, there could be more options depending on state. If either are not available, the state will issue a number.)
7. Choice of party
8. Race or Ethnic group
9. Signature
So, basically there is nothing required to actually prove who they are? Is that correct?
Also, if they are homeless with no phone they could give a name and birthdate verbally and register (leading to a vote in that district)?
I am assuming that an address is not required because then it may deny a homeless person's rights..

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.