Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2012, 08:24 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Most places that allow you to carry (or "bear") a handgun require a permit.
That's not a federal requirement; that's a state requirement, if it exists at all. I can openly carry a handgun throughout Ohio and several other states without any sort of permit or even any sort of identification. I don't know how other states get away with requiring a permit.
Quote:
Also, if I "build" a full auto AR15 from a semi auto, it is breaking the law right?
Below is from the ATF site. It is from the FAQ section. Answer to the question "can an unlicensed individual build a machine gun?

Generally, no. However, if documentation can be provided, along with the Application to Make a Machinegun, which establishes that the weapon is being made for distribution to a Federal or State agency, an individual may be permitted to make the machine gun.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o)(2), 27 CFR 479.105(e)]
You're not allowed to build a nuclear weapon either. Constitutionally speaking, the supreme court has effectively decided that nuclear bombs and automatic weapons aren't classified as "arms". How does this distinction apply to the right to vote?

Old 08-30-2012, 08:27 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
I still want to know if someone who has no address or paperwork can get registered and then vote.
Sure. By convincing a judge that he's a citizen of voting age and ordering his name placed on the rolls. Which would happen after he had applied and been denied.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:11 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Sure. By convincing a judge that he's a citizen of voting age and ordering his name placed on the rolls. Which would happen after he had applied and been denied.
Wait, I thought that it was up to the government to prove they are in eligible to vote? On what basis would someone with no address or ID be denied?

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 08-31-2012, 03:49 PM  

It is called legislation from the bench, our freedom is constantly eroded by court decisions. Rights are diluted or cancelled little by little and those alert enough to notice can't afford to fight it or can't muster enough support to do so. Rights become privileges, then can be taxed or even cancelled at the whim of a government that forgets that it works for us.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:50 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Wait, I thought that it was up to the government to prove they are in eligible to vote? On what basis would someone with no address or ID be denied?
He shouldn't be, unless the registrar has reason to believe that he's ineligible to vote. In which case, he goes to court and files suit against the registrar.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:27 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Would anyone have a problem with thumbprint-based ID? (With appropriate exceptions for those who don't have thumbs; prohibitions on using the thumbprint database for any purpose other than election registration and voter fraud cases, etc.)

Or the option of either photo ID or a thumbprint? I mean, I can think of a few issues, but most are fairly minor.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:48 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Would anyone have a problem with thumbprint-based ID? (With appropriate exceptions for those who don't have thumbs; prohibitions on using the thumbprint database for any purpose other than election registration and voter fraud cases, etc.)

Or the option of either photo ID or a thumbprint? I mean, I can think of a few issues, but most are fairly minor.
Perhaps thumbprint or ID..... Of course, I think it would have to be optional. When you register if you have no ID you can submit your print into the database... But it shouldn't be required bu must be one or the other.

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 09-02-2012, 04:00 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Perhaps thumbprint or ID..... Of course, I think it would have to be optional. When you register if you have no ID you can submit your print into the database... But it shouldn't be required bu must be one or the other.
The possibility of a thumbprint "signature" blows nearly all of my problems with Voter ID out of the water. For most, it's pretty tough to walk out the door without at least one fingerprint. Now, I have been injured at times such that I've scraped away several fingerprints, or would have been unable to provide a valid fingerprint. But I've got the ID option, and in the exceedingly rare case that I can't provide either a fingerprint or a photo ID, a provisional ballot and an affidavit should be sufficient - I'd be unable to cast multiple ballots without the poll workers catching on.

One of the biggest problems with photo ID requirements is that they only address in-person voting, but the vast majority of what little fraud does occur is with absentee ballots. Something that reduces the rate of absentee ballot fraud makes a hell of a lot more sense than photo ID, and it's not very difficult to obtain a thumbprint for an absentee ballot. Thumbprint signatures would be a pretty good compromise. I have no doubt that my a lot of my fellow liberals would still complain about it. I also have no doubt that if a thumbprint signature option was presented by a liberal, certain conservatives would be screaming about invasion of privacy.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:22 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
I am in total support for showing an ID when you vote. No votre fraud? How is it that every year we hear of people voting at the polls in Florida then mailing a ballot? Why is it that we hear of dead people voting all over the country?

If I need to show id to protect my country then you need to show an ID to vote in my elections.

The same people who don't want voter id don't want military voting either.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:25 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurdoc34 View Post
The same people who don't want voter id don't want military voting either.
Citation needed. I'm a veteran. I don't want voter ID as it has been implemented. And, as it has been implemented, it doesn't fix the problems with absentee ballots, which is where the majority of what little fraud occurs is happening.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.