Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2011, 03:25 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Warren launches website, exploratory committee

The Associated Press: Warren launches website, exploratory committee

Warren launches website, exploratory committee
By ANDREW MIGA, Associated Press ? 4 hours ago

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) ? Consumer advocate Elizabeth Warren on Thursday launched an exploratory committee and a website for a possible challenge to Republican Sen. Scott Brown, a top Democratic target in 2012.
Warren will use the committee and the website to begin raising money and lining up volunteers. A Massachusetts Democrat familiar with Warren's plans said the paperwork was filed Thursday for the exploratory committee. The Democrat was not authorized to speak publicly and requested anonymity
Warren, a Harvard Law School professor, is meeting with activists and party officials across the state and plans to decide after Labor Day whether she will run. Top national Democrats desperate to take back the seat long held by the late Edward M. Kennedy have been urging Warren to join the primary field.
A favorite of consumer groups and liberals, Warren got a boost from the abortion rights group EMILY's List, which raises money for female Democratic candidates.
"The EMILY's List community has been telling me loud and clear that they want Elizabeth Warren in the race to beat Scott Brown," Stephanie Schriock, the group's head, said in a statement. "Today, they got a little bit closer to getting their wish."
Supporters say Warren's image as a crusader on behalf of consumers against well-heeled Wall Street and corporate interests and her national profile would make her a strong candidate, even though she's never run for public office.
Warren was chosen by President Barack Obama last year to set up the new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, but congressional Republicans opposed her becoming the bureau's director, and Obama in July decided not to pick her to head the new agency.
Elizabeth's new website;
Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts Exploratory Committee | Splash

The Huffington Post: Elizabeth Warren's Farewell Note: 'I Leave This Agency, But Not This Fight'
Warren launches website, exploratory committee-ma-sen-democrats-want-elizabeth-warren-run-senate.jpg 

Warren launches website, exploratory committee-elizabeth-warren-considers-senate-run..jpg 

Warren launches website, exploratory committee-ewsite2.jpg 

Warren launches website, exploratory committee-yes-she-can.jpg 

Old 08-18-2011, 03:37 PM  
Traveler

I'm very familiar with Mrs Warren. She's been on Bill Mahers show a few times asnd I've been impressed by her quiet yet committed demeanor. She is extremely intelligent and for the common man! I hope she wins myself.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:15 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
I'm very familiar with Mrs Warren. She's been on Bill Mahers show a few times asnd I've been impressed by her quiet yet committed demeanor. She is extremely intelligent and for the common man! I hope she wins myself.
The Wingnuts are terrified of her.
Warren launches website, exploratory committee-34778_414227913686_38471053686_4716131_342645_n.jpg 

Old 08-18-2011, 10:04 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
it amazes me the backlash against people fighting for basic consumer protections, and in many cases against just simply properly informing customers of fees is considered somehow anti-business. I say if your business has to rely on a non-informed customer then the business has no business being in business.

with mandatory binding arbitration in just about type of agreement and practically inescapable people should be absolutely 100% outraged, if people only paid attention............
Old 08-19-2011, 03:25 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
it amazes me the backlash against people fighting for basic consumer protections, and in many cases against just simply properly informing customers of fees is considered somehow anti-business. I say if your business has to rely on a non-informed customer then the business has no business being in business.

with mandatory binding arbitration in just about type of agreement and practically inescapable people should be absolutely 100% outraged, if people only paid attention............
Pardon me for saying it but main stream media outlets hide this sort of stuff. One needs to watch link TV or listen to NPR or read the week for stories that genuinly impact us all. Typical mainstream America is too busy watching Dancing with the stars and QVC!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:40 AM  

It's more government that many of us don't want. In a nanny-state the government controls more and more. After all the leaders seek position, influence, power and wealth.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:55 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
It's more government that many of us don't want. In a nanny-state the government controls more and more. After all the leaders seek position, influence, power and wealth.
Gosh Eddie, I see who's side you're on! You'd probably side with corporations and do away with the EPA too! Me? 'll take someone who's in my court, thank you!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:11 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I say if your business has to rely on a non-informed customer then the business has no business being in business.

This often seems much more a battle against ignorance than one of politics. If people actually understood what tools of charlatans they've become they might grab pitchforks.

Is it so friggin hard to dig behind the lies?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:13 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
Gosh Eddie, I see who's side you're on! You'd probably side with corporations and do away with the EPA too! Me? 'll take someone who's in my court, thank you!
He likes that flavor of pablum. Go figger
Old 08-20-2011, 08:56 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
there are reasons, very legitimate reasons agencies were created. companies used to pollute like crazy, products were often very dangerous, and workers were abused and worked to death. you really don't think that if these government departments were to go away that companies would not revert back to save a few dollars? seriously?

If you have a problem with a regulatory body to make things FAIR for consumers by creating a standard method to inform them of the costs and risks you not only have ethical issues but hate business overall. Yes as it is now banks and credit card issuers can sneak in fees and get more profits, however if a less-shady method of doing business is created then more business would be done.

for example if it was up to you to research entirely on your own whether each and every toy your child wanted contained lead/BPA/asbestos/mercury/lead etc would buy more toys or less toys? I enjoy being able to go into a store and being able to buy with some level of confidence that what I buy in the store isn't extremely hazardous to my health and I think I should be able to buy a mortgage or get a credit card with the same kind of expectations without having a contract lawyer with me.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads