Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2011, 06:31 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
While Obama is jumping with joy

I figured we needed the other side of the argument in this sub-forum...

Quote:
While Barack Obama spends his time running victory laps around the country over the killing of Osama Bin Laden, the American economy is careening toward a dangerous cliff. Royal Weddings, Obama?s multiple birth certificates, and absurd arguments about the NFL lockout dominate the news while daily Americans get poorer.

Obamanomics is a disaster. A greater disaster hasn?t been visited on the United States in our economic history because we are taking no substantial steps toward recovery. The real news, which should be screaming from every television and newspaper isn?t pro Obama, therefore, it is ignored.

Here are the stories on which we should be focusing. The US dollar has slumped to a record low against major currencies. Since we have devastated our manufacturing base over the last two decades, this will result in Americans paying substantially more for goods on the store shelves in retailers from Walmart to Costco.

The outlook for the recovery has diminished to almost zero. If you subtract the impact of inflation, many economists believe we are actually still in a recession. When I talk to my friends and neighbors outside of Washington DC, we unanimously agree we are still in recession.

Here are some statistics which will help you understand the pain. More Americans are on food stamps today than at any other time in history. That?s right?the most in history. The number of persons on food stamps is 44.2 million according a recent report from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Those not on food stamps feel a different pain when they buy groceries. We see unbelievably high prices at the grocery store. The cost of living in the U.S. rose at its fastest pace since December 2009 in the 12 months ended in March. Wheat, meat, vegetables and other grains are all surging in price.

But if you don?t have a job, it is hard to shop for groceries.

Bloomberg reported this week, ?Applications for jobless benefits jumped by 43,000 to 474,000 in the week ended April 30, the most since August, Labor Department figures showed today.? This is a serious darkening in the employment clouds just as the recovery was supposed to be broadening.

The unprecedented easy money policies from the Federal Reserve haven?t helped the real economy. Sure, they did pump enough billions of dollars into Wall Street Banks and Government Agencies to make sure the leather loafer wearing crowds in New York City and Washington DC are still swimming in cash. But for the majority of Americans, they have felt only the pain of higher food and energy prices from the misallocation of dollars.

This week, as we fueled a rental car near the San Diego airport, we paid fifteen dollars for three gallons of gasoline. At these prices, Americans are spending as much as $100 a week just to fuel the car to commute to work. Why hasn?t the president cleared the decks to deal with this energy crisis? It is a crisis when it costs as much to commute to work as you make in take home pay. Many Americans are already at this tipping point. Obama mutters on about windmills and electric cars. We need off shore drilling and increased production to ease this pain.

At least open the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to bring down prices in the short term.

While the nation shudders under unmanageable regulatory and monetary burdens, Obama is oblivious. Obama is flying from city to city collecting cash for his re-election drive. And don?t let us forget he is spending over a hundred thousand dollars to a teleprompter coach.

And we thought standing and delivering a prepared text in front of a teleprompter was a skill he had already mastered. How about a coach on how to manage the American economy? Obama?s priorities are obvious, and they aren?t on helping everyday Americans, but his buddies and himself.

---

?2011 Floyd and Mary Beth Brown. The Browns are bestselling authors and speakers.
Floyd?s latest book (with Lee Troxler) is ?Killing Wealth, Freeing Wealth,? from WND Books. Time magazine wrote of Floyd: "Brown has stature among devoted conservatives that almost matches his physical heft (6 ft. 6 in. and 240 lbs.)" See more at Floyd?s blog at Conservative Views and News | Floyd Reports | Educate, Inspire and Activate.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 05-07-2011, 07:02 PM  

I just wonder how many supporters are reaping some type of welfare or assistance which is why they love him so much?

Old 05-07-2011, 07:34 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
I figured we needed the other side of the argument in this sub-forum...
A greater disaster hasn?t been visited on the United States in our economic history because we are taking no substantial steps toward recovery.[/quote]

The situation we now face is by no means the worst in our history. At the height of the Great Depression (1932) the national unemployment rate was something like 25-30%.

Quote:
The US dollar has slumped to a record low against major currencies.
Which lowers the cost of American exports- but thanks to 30 years of Republican trade policy we don?t have any exports worth mentioning.

Quote:
More Americans are on food stamps today than at any other time in history. That?s right?the most in history.
Is this due strictly to the economy, or have eligibility requirements been reduced?

Quote:
The number of persons on food stamps is 44.2 million according a recent report from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
What is this 44.2 million as a percentage of the entire U.S. population? Has the percentage of Americans getting food stamps changed to any great amount?

Not really.

Record Number In U.S. Relying On Food Stamps - Page 2 - New York Times

In 1970 2% of the U.S. population received food stamps. Now it is around 10%. But the number was 9% in 1980.

Quote:
Those not on food stamps feel a different pain when they buy groceries.
Back in the late 1970s it was common for my mother and me to see people ahead of us in the checkout line at the grocery store buying steak with food stamps. My mother worked 40-50 hours a week as a bookkeeper and we could barely afford hamburger at the time. So don?t preach to me about any food stamps recipient?s pain and suffering.

And isn?t it ironic that the people who protest the loudest about Obama?s failure to help the economy are also the first people to complain when Obama suggests that we give out more food stamps or unemployment benefits?

Quote:
Bloomberg reported this week, ?Applications for jobless benefits jumped by 43,000 to 474,000 in the week ended April 30, the most since August, Labor Department figures showed today.? This is a serious darkening in the employment clouds just as the recovery was supposed to be broadening.
But yet this country has-what- 12,000,000 illegal aliens- namely because the GOP?s Wall Street allies want cheap labor so they can have higher profits.

Quote:
The unprecedented easy money policies from the Federal Reserve haven?t helped the real economy.
The FED?s policies have actually hurt people like me. I have around $100,000 in the bank and cannot even get 2% interest.

Quote:
Sure, they did pump enough billions of dollars into Wall Street Banks and Government Agencies to make sure the leather loafer wearing crowds in New York City and Washington DC are still swimming in cash. But for the majority of Americans, they have felt only the pain of higher food and energy prices from the misallocation of dollars.
I don?t necessarily approve of the Wall Street bailout. But don?t a majority of Americans own stock in Wall Street companies? What would have happened to America?s stockholders if there hadn?t been a Wall Street bailout?

Quote:
This week, as we fueled a rental car near the San Diego airport, we paid fifteen dollars for three gallons of gasoline. At these prices, Americans are spending as much as $100 a week just to fuel the car to commute to work.
With gas prices being what they are you?d think Americans would have sense enough to stop driving SUVs.

Quote:
At least open the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to bring down prices in the short term.
Which would last what- 3 months? And would have to be replaced at today?s absurd oil prices.

Quote:
While the nation shudders under unmanageable regulatory and monetary burdens, Obama is oblivious.
No, it was Reagan and Bush and Bush that were the real oblivious ones. If they had had any sense we would have had greater regulatory burdens- such as automobiles that get 50 miles to the gallon and which could be powered with alternative fuels. But then we could also have had efficient nationwide mass transit by now.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:38 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Hah I figured someone would be "that guy" and blame it all on the GOP. Now, anyone have any valid arguments?

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 05-07-2011, 07:49 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
Hah I figured someone would be "that guy" and blame it all on the GOP. Now, anyone have any valid arguments?
Only a fool would believe that the current mess is solely Obama's fault.

For the record I voted for McCain. When 2008 began I had no intention of voting for anyone. I have been registered to vote with no party since 10 GOP senators voted to acquit Slick in 2009. This means I cannot vote primary elections. But when I heard that Biden doesn?t know what communism is, I went ahead and cast an absentee ballot for McCain even though I already despised Palin- a mother who is neglecting her under-age children. And considering what Palin has turned out to be, I wish I had followed my first instinct and simply not voted at all.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:28 PM  
AK 47 toting Liberal!

And just think, if the last president had been as smart and as collected as Obama, we would have, what, an additional 3 trillion dollars right now, because we wouldn't have gotten into Iraq. If presidents from Reagan to Bush to Clinton and to Bush, hadn't made it a windfall for American corporations to ship our jobs overseas, we'd sure be better off right now. Factor in Corporate greed, like companies paying subsistant wages, and bringing in illegal workers, combined with republicans peeling away workers rights and yet even lower wages, Well it's no wonder that Obama is having so much trouble turning things around. I believe that if Obama had followed after Clinton, with those great employment numbers and the ND paid down and actually a bit in reserve for W to totally piss off on a stupid war...........Bagh! You want more jobs in this country, tell Corporate America to bring them back to this country and share the wealth a bit. Stingy bastads! Tired of people on welfare....Tell those lazy babby boomer parents that they did a horrible job instilling decent values in their offspring, and to quit having kids. This is also part of the problem, in that the resources are getting sucked up faster than the poor earth can replenish them. How's that for a starter on placing the blame?
Old 05-07-2011, 08:28 PM  
fustrated genius

Obama deserves credit and his "victory laps" over the bin Laden thing. Also, he handled the American ship hostage thing very well by OKin' the seal team snipers to take out the pirates. Is it enough to get the votes after cramming Obamacare down our throats sideways? THAT's the question, not who's to blame for the economy either, what is he doing about it? Oh well, maybe he can get a few more Bin Laden type people before re-election time, who knows.

I like his "speak softly carry a big stick" policies
Old 05-07-2011, 08:31 PM  
AK 47 toting Liberal!

By the way, Blame corporate greed and minipulation of our government in the form of lobbying for that petty change in your pocket. The government is broke, but corporate America has billions and getting bonuses all the time. Oh I know, they deserve it right?
Old 05-07-2011, 08:35 PM  
AK 47 toting Liberal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
Obama deserves credit and his "victory laps" over the bin Laden thing. Also, he handled the American ship hostage thing very well by OKin' the seal team snipers to take out the pirates. Is it enough to get the votes after cramming Obamacare down our throats sideways? THAT's the question, not who's to blame for the economy either, what is he doing about it? Oh well, maybe he can get a few more Bin Laden type people before re-election time, who knows.

I like his "speak softly carry a big stick" policies
Well put. Obama can't control the corporations and force them to hire people. He can't force corporations to lower their enormous profit margins. Unless you want to be able to blame the guy for being communist. You guys just hate our black president because he wants everyone to have what you have, but the elite wealthy don't want just everyone to have what they have. The country club has a limit on the number of members!
Old 05-07-2011, 08:38 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
And just think, if the last president had been as smart and as collected as Obama, we would have, what, an additional 3 trillion dollars right now, because we wouldn't have gotten into Iraq. If presidents from Reagan to Bush to Clinton and to Bush, hadn't made it a windfall for American corporations to ship our jobs overseas, we'd sure be better off right now. Factor in Corporate greed, like companies paying subsistant wages, and bringing in illegal workers, combined with republicans peeling away workers rights and yet even lower wages, Well it's no wonder that Obama is having so much trouble turning things around. I believe that if Obama had followed after Clinton, with those great employment numbers and the ND paid down and actually a bit in reserve for W to totally piss off on a stupid war...........Bagh! You want more jobs in this country, tell Corporate America to bring them back to this country and share the wealth a bit. Stingy bastads! Tired of people on welfare....Tell those lazy babby boomer parents that they did a horrible job instilling decent values in their offspring, and to quit having kids. This is also part of the problem, in that the resources are getting sucked up faster than the poor earth can replenish them. How's that for a starter on placing the blame?
And if Slick had known what he was doing foreign policy wise, we wouldn?t have had a 9-11 and therefore no war in Iraq or Afghanistan.

And we only had a budget surplus in 2000 because the Republicans took over both houses of Congress in 1995.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!