Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2011, 02:22 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Haven't been to a parade since the "50's". The Prez was at the Naval Academy yesterday.

the five largest oil companies raked in profits of $32 billion in the first quarter of 2011?while Americans are paying four bucks a gallon at the pump.

they're demanding their tax cuts continue

Old 05-19-2011, 03:34 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyguy60 View Post
MTV, The internet, Hollywood stars becoming the ones who teach our kids morality, dishonesty among professionals, greed among the clergy, all of which has lead to a moral breakdown. A lot of people have said the President was wrong for not going to the ceremony for the police and instead played golf that day. What do most Americans do on Memorial Day? Attend Parades, ceremonies to honor the service of Veterans, or will they bar-b-que at local parties and back yards while drinking their best brew? When I was a kid we went to parades. Sure we had outings and picnics too, but first we gave respect to those who the holiday was designated for, the Veterans! Where will you be Monday?
My mother always worked Memorial Day so except for the time in 7th grade when Memorial Day wasn't a school holiday, I always spent the day at home alone. For all practical purpose the day should be abolished. The Vets for whom the day means something are dying off (a thousand a day as of just a few years ago). In 20 years time the day won't mean anything to the Vets of Iraq or Afghanistan- the memory of Abu Ghraib is too strong.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:23 PM  
Palm Coast is the place t

Memorial day forgotten?

I certainly would hope you are wrong although I do not think you are. The day will mean nothing? What people today do not get is that it is the history and what forefathers did that allow you to be who you are. There is no national identity that we can all point to and say, "That's me too!" Memories of wars that truly were fought to protect our nation are in fact being forgotten. I find it strange that the young people today are not educated in the fact that the history you forget you will be repeating if the future. Young people today are in fact being raised by TV and celebrity personalities. Charlie Sheen is a good example of this. The idiots of today will give it away and those of us that have lived the dream will have long been gone to worry about it. I am not sorry one bit that the new generation will live in a country controlled and owned by others that will not treat American Patriots well. The patriots will be seen as enemies of the state and will be killed so they will not be able to "infest" the new generation with ideas of equality and human rights. I would venture to guess that most opposition to being a patriot is from people who look at Americans that have it all and they have nothing. It took hard work to have it all something the new generation thinks it is owed not something to be earned.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:12 PM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaja View Post
My mother always worked Memorial Day so except for the time in 7th grade when Memorial Day wasn't a school holiday, I always spent the day at home alone. For all practical purpose the day should be abolished. The Vets for whom the day means something are dying off (a thousand a day as of just a few years ago). In 20 years time the day won't mean anything to the Vets of Iraq or Afghanistan- the memory of Abu Ghraib is too strong.
You are kidding right? Please take a look at what Memorial day has EVOLVED into and its meaning today.
Quote:
First enacted to honor Union and Confederate soldiers following the American Civil War, it was extended after World War I to honor Americans who have died in all wars.
Dont you DARE say that for practical purposes this day should be abolished. Too many of my brothers and sisters carried the torch before, with, and after me defending these liberties (albit screwey at times) that we enjoy as Americans.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:03 PM  
Ric

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaja View Post
What 3 U.S. corporations do you think have had the most detrimental impact on American society?

For me it is:

1. Walmart
2. Home Depot
3. McDonald?s

But I am open to suggestions for the #3 slot. There may be a company that has been worse than McDonald?s.
I would agree.
Walmart, I havent stepped foot in a meximart in over 5 years.
Home depot, its just another meximart, think Ive been in home depot once in the last 3 years, Id rather shop at ACE.
McDonalds, again, just another place the non english speaking either work or visit..

NO, I will NOT press 1 for english.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.