Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2011, 02:23 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
"Would you please raise my taxes?"

Obama defends push to raise taxes on rich: Associated Press Business News - MSN Money

Obama defends push to raise taxes on rich
September 26, 2011 3:03 PM ET

Quote:
By ERICA WERNER

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (AP) - President Barack Obama on Monday defended his push to tax the rich more to help jolt the economy and rebuild it for the long term, saying the income of well-to-do people has soared while the middle has struggled with no room to spare.

At a town hall, one man set up the president to make his point, saying: "Would you please raise my taxes?" The questioner said he was unemployed by his own choice, having done well at a nearby start-up search-engine company in Silicon Valley, and was willing to pay more.

Obama said he did not want to punish the rich, but rather to return income tax rates to the level of the 1990s.

"During that period, the rich got richer," the president said. "The middle class expanded. People rose out of poverty."

Obama is in a deadlock with Republicans in Congress, including leaders of the House, over raising taxes as part of a formula for helping a staggering economy. He has put forward a debt-reduction plan that would raise $1.5 trillion in new revenue, including about $800 billion over 10 years from repealing the Bush-era tax cuts for couples making more than $250,000.

Obama spoke during an event hosted by LinkedIn, the career-focused social networking site, midway through a three-state Western swing. The event was at the Computer History Museum, near LinkedIn's Silicon Valley headquarters.
"Would you please raise my taxes?"-amnesia-jacuzzi.jpg 

Old 09-26-2011, 02:44 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
The bush era tax cuts being cut will raise taxes on every person in America, not just 250k'ers. Deceptive wording.

Classic Barry. Treat the symptom, not the cause. Just tax the crap out of us.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-27-2011, 01:13 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
The bush era tax cuts being cut will raise taxes on every person in America, not just 250k'ers. Deceptive wording.

Got proof or just an opinion?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:11 PM  

Nashville, TN
Blucher. How much extra do you voluntary pay on your tax return if I may ask. Since you are all in favor of raising the taxes on the rich, surely you will lead by example and be the first to write a check to fund all these new entitlement programs...cause guess what, you will now be in the new rich category. Congratulations!

Oh, and I do like your sig line, I love that show. My favorite line was when Sheldon said "If there ever was going to be a Church Of Sheldon, this is when it began"
Old 09-27-2011, 06:29 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
even the CBO agrees that tax money given to the average person will have a greater improvement in the economy then giving it to the rich
Old 09-27-2011, 06:32 PM  

Nashville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
even the CBO agrees that tax money given to the average person will have a greater improvement in the economy then giving it to the rich
Was that their reasoning behind the solar company loans?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:03 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
Blucher. How much extra do you voluntary pay on your tax return if I may ask. Since you are all in favor of raising the taxes on the rich, surely you will lead by example and be the first to write a check to fund all these new entitlement programs...cause guess what, you will now be in the new rich category. Congratulations!
Not much to spare these days but I squeeze out a few pennies to support sane politicians. Living on less than 13K/year gets a mite creative at times.

I never begrudged a dime I've paid over 50 years of paying in.

Quote:
Oh, and I do like your sig line, I love that show. My favorite line was when Sheldon said "If there ever was going to be a Church Of Sheldon, this is when it began"
The Rosary Channel should be taking notes, that was Sheldon at his best being Sheldon.

I've never cared much for TV so I really don't have a method for recalling early Thursday evening programming. I caught most of last week show but I don't know what time it came on nor if that's the slot for the season? 7PM?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:05 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post

Great sig Jake and it needs to be RED.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:10 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
Was that their reasoning behind the solar company loans?
Given the timing any boost to that industry should have been money in the bank. Someone will buy up the manufacturing equipment and probably ship it to a cheap labor market and prosper. Chevron just opened a green gas station that makes a profit off the extra energy produced.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:22 PM  

Nashville, TN
I really think the only reason I watch it is to see the blonde bounce around in tight shirts. Bout the only thrill left for oldogs.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.