Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2011, 03:18 PM  

/: im with blucher on this one, i dont see anything wrong with being required to report the truth, and nothing but the truth. We have plenty of fiction entertainment to watch, *cough*realityTV*cough*, I dont see why our news stations cant exceed those standards.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:31 PM  

Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
As an op-ed or opinion piece I agree but a lie under the guise of being news is a clear cut deception.

Nothing complicated or over bearing about requiring a network to tell the truth.

Buyer beware economy. If you treat something as truth, you should do your own research other wise the truth is meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redframes View Post
/: im with blucher on this one, i dont see anything wrong with being required to report the truth, and nothing but the truth. We have plenty of fiction entertainment to watch, *cough*realityTV*cough*, I dont see why our news stations cant exceed those standards.
The "truth" is subjective and rarely shared by people of opposing view points. It's the responsibility of the watcher to determine what is correct.

If we pass legislation mandating truth, it is a direct violation to our right to free speech.

Voltaire has two good quotes here.

"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices."

We give them the power. It is our responsibility both as Americans and consumers to fix this. Not the Government.

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

and there in lies the double edged sword which is our freedom of speech.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:58 PM  

Detroit, michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
Buyer beware economy. If you treat something as truth, you should do your own research other wise the truth is meaningless.

ALWAYS do your own research

The "truth" is subjective and rarely shared by people of opposing view points. It's the responsibility of the watcher to determine what is correct.

The "truth" is RARELY subjective; The planet is spherical, the Sun rises in the East, rain falls from clouds.
The truth can never be subjective or it is simply NOT the truth but speculation and/or ideology.

If we pass legislation mandating truth, it is a direct violation to our right to free speech.

The next leap is that our Representatives too are allowed to lie. Free speech and all.

......We give them the power. It is our responsibility both as Americans and consumers to fix this. Not the Government.

Agreed.
The biggest obstacle I see is that the majority of Americans do not care about politics and does not participate.
Ergo, special interest groups put their money to use and we are stuck with their interests being represented instead of ours.

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

and there in lies the double edged sword which is our freedom of speech.
While the cats are away the rats will play
Old 03-17-2011, 07:07 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
When a piece of news interests me I surf the web for the full picture.
There's a lot of BS in news broadcasts up here as well.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.