Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2011, 05:39 AM  

Greenville, SC
Your thought on these famous phrases....

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic"------Benjamin Franklin.

or

"You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."*
* Adrian Rogers, 1931 (?)

Old 02-09-2011, 10:22 AM  

Greenville, SC
Let me reqhrase the question.

What do you think these statements mean for todays society in the United States.
Do you find them valid?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:28 AM  

Austin
1. That sounds about right. That being said, Universal Healthcare is not legislating people's money away from them any more than the unpopular wars we are currently fighting.

2. You can't multiply wealth by dividing it? So then diversifying your stocks is a bad idea? Don't put all your eggs in one basket isn't true?

I have a feeling this is going to turn into a "Don't take my money to keep poor people alive" argument is it not?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:42 AM  

Greenville, SC
Ah, we meet again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
1. That sounds about right. That being said, Universal Healthcare is not legislating people's money away from them any more than the unpopular wars we are currently fighting.
I said nothing about Universal Healthcare... You did.
I cannot argue about the wars, really.

Quote:
2. You can't multiply wealth by dividing it? So then diversifying your stocks is a bad idea? Don't put all your eggs in one basket isn't true?
I think the author of the statement was referring to the government dividing one's money amongst other people not creating wealth.
I think we both know that an individual dividing their own money amongst investments can be benificial. And not the same thing.

Quote:
I have a feeling this is going to turn into a "Don't take my money to keep poor people alive" argument is it not?
I have said nothing. I have merely quoted what I think are some pretty accurate quotes.

Quote:
That sounds about right.
Do you really think that sounds right?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:56 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post

What about the disabled? What also, about the corporations we just bailed out? What about things like farm subsidies.....?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:52 AM  

Greenville, SC
What ABOUT the disabled?

I am against corporations being bailed out and farm subsidies. Any subsidies, really.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:13 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
What do you do for work, YelloJeep, if you don't mind me asking? I'm willing to bet you run into government subsidies, in one form or another, every single day of your life.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 02-09-2011, 12:33 PM  

Greenville, SC
I work in manufacturing. Engineering.

I do not doubt that you almost cannot turn around without running into some form of subsidies.

Just a note: I do not consider taking less money from an entity a subsidy. I also understand why the subsidies are there. It does, however, prevent things from running their course. (usually) Distorts economic reality.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:05 PM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
What ABOUT the disabled?
Someone has to take care of them! I mean if they can't work.....
Old 02-09-2011, 10:23 PM  

I was permanently disabled while at work and forced to retire. I haven't received anything from anyone. My only benefit is a blue Permanent Handicap card, which is in my car.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!