Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2010, 07:55 AM  

Zeituni Onyango

Obama's Aunt: US Obligated to Make Me a Citizen

As Congress prepares to re-initiate the stalled immigration reform debate this week, one very personal immigration issue looks poised to hit the president close to home.

President Barack Obama's aunt, Zeituni Onyango, says she's done nothing wrong by illegally living in the United States for years and is therefore deserving of amnesty.

"If I come as an immigrant, you have the obligation to make me a citizen," Onyango, 58, told Boston's WBZ news.

In her first interview since Obama was elected president, Onyango described how she came to America in 2000 from her native Kenya, fell ill and was hospitalized. Upon her release, Onyango told WBZ, she was out of money. So rather than return to her homeland, she continued to live in the country in violation of immigration laws.

Sponsored Links After stints in a Boston homeless shelter, Onyango was eventually put in public housing and began receiving disability payments. In 2004, an immigration judge ordered her to leave the country, but Onyango remained. However, she noted that her story was less about intentionally flouting federal immigration policy and more about its ineffectiveness.

"I didn't take advantage of the system," Onyango said. "The system took advantage of me."

Onyango says that she received no help from Obama as her case was reviewed by Judge Leonard Shapiro, who ruled in May that Onyango could remain in the United States.

Read more at WBZ-TV.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:06 PM  

Austin
Grant her asylum till her case is reviewed. If you live in America, and you have already have naturalized or citizen family here, you are typically granted citizenship. Who she is, is only important to those who don't like her nephew.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:26 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
If you live in America, and you have already have naturalized or citizen family here, you are typically granted citizenship.
This is completely incorrect!
Old 09-23-2010, 01:14 PM  

Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
This is completely incorrect!
Care to explain and cite precedence?
Old 09-24-2010, 05:28 AM  

Nashville, TN
An illegal Mexican alien I know, married an American woman and at one time was issued a Tennessee drivers license, lost it because of unpaid tickets, and a accident with no insurance. Later was picked up for driving with no drivers license, jailed for a period of time, then deported. 6 months later he came back, was once again picked up and now is being held in federal jail. Seems being married doesn't qualify for being left here. Is it some how who your blood line is tied to?

So, Funectial, if I understand correctly, its ok to just violate the immigration laws but its not ok for the Mexican I know to not pay speeding tickets? Which by the way were many.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:27 AM  

Austin
Not at all. What I'm saying is if you are a non citizen with family who are citizens in the US, your chances of being naturalized have greatly improved.

It's not "OK" to violate immigration laws, but if you can't eat, and you can't work, do you strive to better you existence, or lay down and die?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:57 AM  

I have attached a Youtube segment into the original post. This lady should be thrown out of the country ASAP!
Old 10-27-2010, 12:59 PM  

Austin
Well she now has valid political asylum, so that might be tough.

I don't like her attitude, there's no disagreement there, and I don't like being told what to do by some one who hasn't contributed. I also don't like the fact that she was told to leave and didn't.

The clip though ask something to the effect of "Why doesn't Obama help?" which I have to now turn to you. How would Obama help?
Old 10-27-2010, 01:16 PM  

My opinion it is past his ability to help, but once again, the new attitude is "why should I work, let the government help me."
Old 10-27-2010, 01:47 PM  

Austin
The actions of one are not the actions of all, I feel honesty she is the exception, making all the other illegal immigrants who work and keep there heads down look bad.

But what is you solution?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!