Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Hampshire
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2011, 08:08 AM  

Londonderry, NH
Rail service

Does New Hampshire need Rail Service ?

Old 02-22-2011, 03:51 AM  

Bradford, NH
What do you mean by "rail service"?

There is currently no commuter/passenger rail service in NH. The closest would be the Vermonter running through White River Jct, VT. There's also the Amtrak Downeaster which runs along the coast. There has been talk of widening the I93 corridor, but that's a very charged issue...
NHRRA: New Hampshire Railroad Revitalization Association
Rebuilding I93: Salem to Manchester (NHDOT) — Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.)

As far as freight, this link gives a good overview:
Rail | Rail and Transit | NH Department of Transportation

Old 02-26-2011, 05:42 PM  

I know they've been talking about extending the MBTA commuter rail north to Nashua and Manchester for some time now. I personally would love this. Unfortunately it seems NH doesn't want to fund it.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:59 AM  

Bradford, NH
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
I know they've been talking about extending the MBTA commuter rail north to Nashua and Manchester for some time now. I personally would love this. Unfortunately it seems NH doesn't want to fund it.
I think a lot of the controversy is WHERE the $$ would come from... i.e. I think they were going to take the money from the HIGHWAY funds. This would be taking away the ability to repair the roads, fix bridges, etc... There's also the argument of "why are we paying for it if we're not using it", or why are our AUTO tolls going towards RAIL?

Honestly, if you want to make a good investment, invest in real estate in the 93 corridor north of Concord... and sit on it. I think it's inevitable that the rail will EVENTUALLY go through... You'll have rail from MASS > Nashua > Manchester > Concord (? >White mountains?). At any rate, the I-93 corridor is a pretty good place to live b/c of the easy access to Boston & the White Mountains AND the lakes region... Think about it, if you lived north of Concord, you would commute to just south of Concord (maybe Manchester), then take the train to Boston. Big NON-TAXED $alary for working in Boston, a very nice place to live, and a stone's thow from the nicest vacation spots in the northeast! I dunno, that's just my take!

That's why I DON'T live on the I-93 corridor! I like the country and the country atmosphere. I think the urban sprawl is unfortunately inevitable, though. Hey, less than 70 (50?) yrs ago there were NO INTERSTATES!!! I know a lot of the "old folks" were disgruntled b/c it ruined the country now that everyone could commute and live in the country.

From what I understand, there are several things that will increase rail freight traffic.

1) Disintegrating roadway infrastructure... The highway system has been taxed and overtaxed by heavy trucks pummeling the roadways and destroying the pavement. It takes time and $$ to repave/rebuild. There are also a LOT of trucks on the road which are causing congestion.

2) Rail is more efficient and "green".

3) The recent increase in size of the Panama Canal will now allow larger vessels through the Panama Canal; thus, allowing the ships to continue directly to the East coast (where new ports are being build in VA... you guessed it - with plenty of RAIL access!)

Just my $0.03 ;-)
Old 03-09-2011, 03:53 AM  

Bradford, NH
NorthEast High Speed Rail...

The April 2011 issue of Trains Magazine is about High Speed Rail. One of the articles, "Speed: It's All Relative - by Bob Johnston" has a map of the US and an inset of New England. It shows the following routes and statuses:

Concord > Boston - Up to 110 mph, planning
Boston > Kinston > New Haven > NYC > Philadelphia > Richmond - Over 110 mph, planning
St. Albans (VT) > (White River JCT, VT)? > Springfield (MA) > New Haven - Up to 110 mph, construction
Portland (ME) > (North along coast ~ 50 mi?) - up to 110 mph, construction
Portland (ME) > (Due North ~100 mi?) - Up to 110 mph, planning

The future's so bright, I need to wear shades!
I just hope it happens in MY lifetime!

~ Jon G.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:31 PM  
Realtor

Portsmouth, NH
NH Rail service

In my opinion New Hampshire doesn't need rail service because I see a huge lack of riders right now.

Gotta have paying customers to make something like that economically viable.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Hampshire
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads