Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Jersey
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2010, 09:12 AM  

New York City, New Jersey
Driving in NJ and Dealing with NJ Drivers...

I've only lived in NJ for just over a year, and only been in the tri-state area for about 7 total, but can easily say that NJ is one of the worst places to drive.

Best example: JUGHANDLES! I mean come on, WTF is up with these things? Nevermind that google maps gets it wrong half the time, and that the signs for your turn are often after the turn, and mostly obscured by trees or even other signs, but the mere fact of having to turn right to turn left is just plain confusing.

And while I'm on the subject, there's a reason why until recently, nearly every major US insurance carrier refused to write new policies in NJ. People here do NOT know how to drive! Or at the very least they feel that they are the kings of the road and the rules do not apply to them. Best example: residential neighbor hood speed limits. I live on a pretty major street that has a 35mph speed limit (which, for the record, is way too fast for how close the houses are to the street and how many commercial trucks drive down it, but that's for another thread). Every time I drive down my street, I am going either speed limit or within 5 miles per hour over it. And sure enough, EVERY time, there is some idiot tailgating me and looking visibly pissed that I'm not going faster. We've been rear-ended twice waiting to turn into our driveway.

So now that I've vented, tell me about your NJ driving experiences...

Old 11-17-2010, 09:31 AM  

Stillwater, New Jersey
NJ drivers can be dicks, no doubt. But I don't think anything compares to how scary PA drivers can be. Just cross the river from my house and take a look at the roads there. I mean, I can't figure out why anyone would design them the way they are. All the acceleration lanes on the highway are ridiculously short and everyone on the highway is driving at least ten over the speed limit.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:26 AM  

Southampton, New York
I lived for years in Fort Lee, NJ. By the time I left it had become a congested, traffic-snarled extension of the George Washington Bridge. Every Rockland Co. and Northern NJ commuter came through the streets to avoid the delays at the bridge approaches.
It seems that knowing they would be late for work, or after a difficult day and on their way home, most drivers had exceeded their frustration threshold and seemed like "bad drivers". I tried (and still do try) to understand how awful they must feel and cut them a little extra slack.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:57 AM  

Ridgefield Park, NJ
I spent 6 years down in South Carolina/Georgia and NJ are a treat by comparison. Yes we may ride in the fast lane and are probably tailgating if you are going to slow but you never run in to an instance where you are stuck with on a four lane highway with a blockade of 2 cars doing 10 mph under the speed limit as often as you do down there.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:05 PM  

Medford, New Jersey
I agree that PA drivers are more terrifying than those of us from NJ
Old 11-18-2010, 09:39 PM  

People in jersey always ride the left lane. IT'S FOR PASSING!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 03:20 PM  

Clinton, New Jersey
I lived in the Boston area and let me tall you Boston is Worse worse worse.

I moved here to NJ from a few years northern maine
It was a shock.

I still remember after 20 years my first toll booth.
There was a camaro IROC in front of me the nickey newark in the thing opened his door. He held in his hand, down low near his rocker panel , a bag in which he'd been collecting his trash and litter then he dumped it, casually shook it and kept the bag.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:25 PM  

Brick, New Jersey
if you dont know how to work a circle or a 4 way stop you should be taking public transportation in NJ
Old 12-06-2010, 08:14 PM  

Somerville, NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStinkyWhistler View Post
NJ drivers can be dicks, no doubt. But I don't think anything compares to how scary PA drivers can be. Just cross the river from my house and take a look at the roads there. I mean, I can't figure out why anyone would design them the way they are. All the acceleration lanes on the highway are ridiculously short and everyone on the highway is driving at least ten over the speed limit.
I agree, but the *worst* thing is NJ drivers on PA roads.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:25 AM  

Medford, NJ
all I have to say is North Jersey drivers are A LOT different then SJ drivers. Might as well be two different states

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Jersey
Bookmark this Page!