Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Jersey
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2010, 09:00 PM  

Tabernacle, New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBTurboT View Post
I think Christie is on the right track. He isn't hurting teachers, just going after the Unions. It's about time all these bloated pigs that run them get their own. I'm pretty sure we'll be better off than when the last corrupt Governors were in. Now if Sweeney and that other one, Sheila Oliver would cut the crap and listen to the people rather than play politics we may get somewhere. Next we need to get rid of Lautenburg and Menendez. Two more spending libs. I just like how Christie says it like it is, rather than a feel good go around the subject talking point answer like every other politician gives...
I couldn't agree more.
All the moaning from teachers just makes them look foolish to anybody who takes the time to read into it.

This is the first time in a long time, that this state has a governor worth being proud of.

My favorite thing about him, he gives straight answers, and he doesn't take any sh*t from anybody.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:40 AM  

Bridgewater, NJ
Christie didn't lay off teachers, he cut state aid to schools. Aid. That's what it's supposed to be. Each munincipality is supposed to run their own schools with their own money.

You know who laid off teachers? The bloated, top-heavy school administrators who were miffed that they didn't get their nice, fat, porky budget. So what did they do? Laid off teachers. Why? Because that makes Christie look like an evil, heartless ******bag. And it paves the way for more local gouging when it comes time to vote on school budgets.

Teachers may or may not have an easy job, be overpaid, etc. But arguing about that is stupid. It's a red herring. The teachers are being used as pawns in a political game, and our kids are suffering.

No matter how you slice it, you can't blame Christie for tugging hard on the reins of a horse that's running out of control. If you don't believe me, take a look at your local school budgets. Mine grew by millions of dollars in the heart of the recession, during a time when the price of all goods and services dropped dramatically and fewer kids were enrolled because parents lost their jobs and had to move.

Seriously, take a look at your local school board's spending over the past few years, and ask yourself if they really needed to lay off teachers.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:44 AM  

Absecon, NJ
I think Christie has good therories about reigning in spending but his methods are flawed. His tool kit if passed would essentially end collective bargaining. The towns would have the authority to make up any concessions they gave (ie raises) through mandatory furlough etc. It was too hastily conceived and needs refinement if that is the avenue they want to pursue.

I think Christie lost focus during his pissing match with the unions and now it has become a personal vendetta for him. Look at the debacle with the 400 million federal aid grant and Schundlers subsequent comments about his feelings on the perception of comprimising with the unions. He'd rather lose that money than look like he is working with the NJEA... c'mon who really lost here.

And what happened to his crusade against public corruption..that seems to have ceased.

Another thing that has bothered me by his targets are they are not uniform. Municipal employees bear the brunt while state workers have far less damage. The state police makes one of the highest salaries yet only pays around 5 % towards their pension while most others pay around 8% for the same benefit.. doesn't seem to fair.

That's my rant. BTW, I voted for Christie last time.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:53 AM  

Philadelphia, NJ
Of course the education system is a big issue, but did anybody notice the removal of State Vehicle safety inspections? I love the idea of no inspections. It sounds like there is no evidence that inspections actually contribute to safety on the roads. Saves the state money. Saves me time.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:01 PM  

Clinton, New Jersey
personally, knowing NOTHING about politics, I kinda like how he's handling things. There are things that he will do that will suck (everything with the teachers), but in all reality, I dont think anyone else has the guts to take the bull by the horns. Maybe he is ruining his reputation, but I'm sure the welfare of the state is a smidge more important than that right now. And in the end, if his tactics work, no matter how much people hate him, they will have to give him credit. I just hope for everyone's sake he's doing the right thing for us!
Old 10-15-2010, 09:03 AM  

Randolph, NJ
Chris Christie is a creep only trying to use his bullying tactics to get himself into the national news to help him find support for his one day presidential run. (God help us all) The way he is treating state workers, police, fire, and teachers is disgusting.

He single handedly cost the students of NJ $400 million on federal money that could have been used to replace the huge amount that he cut from schools last year. The reason for this is he didn?t want to appear to have worked cooperatively with the teachers unions.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:52 PM  

Bayville, New Jersey
I voted for him and at this point I have no regrets. I do think he should cut down on some of the out of state town hall meetings he is having and concentrate all of his energy on fixing all that is wrong here.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:16 PM  

Mount Holly, NJ
I hate him. Not a fan of gutting police to save a buck...
Old 10-28-2010, 06:59 AM  
Love the Outdoors

Montville, NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostriz View Post
I think Christie has good therories about reigning in spending but his methods are flawed.
+1 to that. Limiting government spending is a great goal that is hard to achieve, but I don't think he has handled it that well so far.

Quote:
I think Christie lost focus during his pissing match with the unions and now it has become a personal vendetta for him. Look at the debacle with the 400 million federal aid grant and Schundlers subsequent comments about his feelings on the perception of comprimising with the unions. He'd rather lose that money than look like he is working with the NJEA... c'mon who really lost here.
Yeah, this one hurt everyone and was childishly stupid.

Quote:
And what happened to his crusade against public corruption..that seems to have ceased.
To me this is the biggest nut to crack in NJ politics. It just stinks. I hope he cleans things up as best he can. I'm afraid it is very deep-rooted.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:10 AM  

Denville, NJ
Christie's Doing OK

Look, the government in this state has not addressed essential issues for years and with state revenues down we are in a huge financial crisis.

All the things he's doing have been recognized and talked about...so none of it is new. It's about time someone stepped up and had the guts to really do something to force needed change. We're at the point where sweeping change is needed.

I've worked with some private schools in the past and they run programs superior to public schools for about half the cost per student. Just think how your tax rate would drop if we could cut school taxes by that much. Someone else said this in a previous post...Christie's not firing teachers. It's the administrators who are making those choices. Hopefully, they're letting the worst teachers go (although I doubt it because the unions have prevented ANY type of teacher assessment short of a conviction for Pedophilia).

Same thing with bloated state and municipal payrolls.

It's a shame that things have gotten so bad, but that's human nature. Things never change until the S*** hits the fan. Thank goodness someone stepped up, even though he's alienating a large portion of voters and the uber powerful unions.

This isn't a Republican vs Democrat thing either since both Whitman and McGreevey/Codey/Corzine essentially borrowed money rather than make hard choices and risk upsetting voters).

I can't remember any governors I respected since Byrne and Kean. Mebbe that's because I'm older and wiser now...I just dunno. However, I'm hoping that Christie sticks to his guns and isn't beaten down by the entrenched power structure.

Unfortunately, change is messy and some eggs will get broken in the process. There is no perfect plan and some unintended crap will happen. But we have to look at the whole picture and not cherry pick the things we don't like.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Jersey
Bookmark this Page!