Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Jersey
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2010, 05:09 PM  

Gibbstown, New Jersey
Recommendations for Camping in NJ?

Hey fella's. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for camping in NJ. I've been camping around, but not much in my home state. Looking for something without RVs and neighbors right ontop of you. Primitive is alright, and a little... hard to get to by 2wd is cool too.

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2010, 07:06 AM  

Bridgewater, NJ
Round Valley has primitive sites that are boat-in or walk-in only. We've camped there, it's an easy hike. The sites are pretty nice for primitive sites.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:51 AM  

Gibbstown, New Jersey
Looked it up and it looks pretty cool, thanks! Anybody else? I know the water gap has to have something... if you don't mind bears.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:02 PM  

Edison, NJ
We mostly do to PA or NY for camping- Bear Mountain is really nice
Old 10-04-2010, 08:35 PM  

Gibbstown, New Jersey
Yeah, we have a dog, and NJ campgrounds aren't usually too dog friendly, which is what pushes us more towards PA.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:40 PM  

Trenton, New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfund View Post
Yeah, we have a dog, and NJ campgrounds aren't usually too dog friendly, which is what pushes us more towards PA.
Yea PA and Up State NY is really where its at. I grew up in Jersey and a lot of the camp grounds are very neighborhood-like, with seasonal RV and stuff. If you want an adventure you could go to the Pines. Run down RT539 til you hit RT72, make a right on to 72 and turn off on the main fire trail about a half mile down on the left. There's thousands of small trails that spider off the main trail. Its not legal to camp out there but if you go deep enough (1-2 miles) back, you'll be way out of the rangers site. We did this for years when I was a kid. With the exception of an occasional quad or dirt bike in the distance, its dead silent and there are no street lights so you can see all the stars perfectly! I got caught only once in about 10 years of camping and that was because we stupidly set up camp less than a 1/4 mile from the ranger tower off 539 I had a pop top VW with a bright white roof. and we were in the middle of a huge clearing...Duh. The ticket wasn't much more than the cost of a night in an organized camp ground though. I wouldn't advise making a camp fire though. As you probably know wild fires are a problem out there.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:14 AM  

Bridgewater, NJ
There's a private campground up in NW Jersey we go to every year - Harmony Ridge. It's pretty nice, sites are reasonable, you get a lot of RVs but plenty of tent campers as well. The sites aren't all that private except for the tent sites on the back side, but it's a nice family atmosphere.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:30 PM  

Passaic, New Jersey
Ramapo Reservation this time of year should be very quiet.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:33 PM  

South Jersey, New Jersey
You can try Batsto on 206. It used to be the place to go. They have tent sites. they have jacked up the prices in the last few years though.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:46 PM  

Atlantic City, New Jersey
Wading Pines is a fun place if you have kids.

I like wharton or bass river. You are next to people but it is kind of secluded and there might not even be people next to you if you ask to have a site far from people.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Jersey
Bookmark this Page!