Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Mexico
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2010, 01:36 PM  

Best time to Fly Fish Northeast New Mexico

When is the best time to fly fish Northeast New Mexico, considering weather, crowds, and fish bite? And where would you recommend?

Old 12-22-2010, 12:48 PM  

Not sure about "Northeast" NM, but northern NM and into Southern CO is great in June.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:10 PM  

northern NM has a lot of different areas, best bet is to pick an area and then call the local fly shops and see what hatches will be going on while you're here. The San Juan is still fast and muddy in the spring and it can be a frustrating river even in the best conditions, picky trout.

Jemez has some great fishing for Native Browns, just have to sneak up on them and present them with something they like... just look around and the hatch will tell you what to fish. Timing for the Jemez is great spring to fall, with late spring early summer being the best maybe.

Pecos is great as well, but park and hike up river to get away from the crowds, again spring to fall and hit the local fly shops for advice in whats hitting while you'll be there.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:51 PM  

Though not fly fishing I love fishing the river in the gilla, or neer ruidoso. I just use salmon eggs, an let the current take it a good ways down the river reeling in slowly until I get one. I would consider fly fishing around April or May.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:58 AM  

Mexico is all time good place for the fly fishing. It gives great experience specially at winter.
Mexico horse

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Mexico
Bookmark this Page!