Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Mexico
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2011, 09:52 AM  

Tijeras, nm
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Nice! We usually roast them much like you would a turkey.
It's a very rich and artery clogging meal, but it tastes soooo good
Is NM a wintering ground for our geese?
It is to some degree. They come down from your neck of the woods in 3 flyways, the central, atlantic and the pacific. We are in between 2 of them so we get a handful.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:53 AM  

Tijeras, nm
Quote:
Hey, why're you shooting our geese, eh?

I've had a few tasty geese. They are great eating

I just got this.... I'm slow, what can I say...

Old 02-08-2011, 09:56 AM  

Tijeras, nm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Hey! Stay focused! This isn't the food channel. No food rhetoric unless it involves chilies.
Of course there was green chile in the rice!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:01 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Pictures or it didn't happen

I've been hearing about this green chile on a couple of forums from the SW. What exactly is this stuff?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:45 PM  

Tijeras, nm
Quote:
Pictures or it didn't happen

I've been hearing about this green chile on a couple of forums from the SW. What exactly is this stuff?
err ahhh.... The dog ate my camera..

Green and red chile are peppers grown primarily in NM. I have lived all over the country and never heard of it until I moved here 5 years ago. They are used in food and in decorations.

The chile capitol of NM is in Hatch.

Do a google search and you will come up with some neat stuff. Note the spelling "chile" as opposed to "chili"
Old 02-09-2011, 05:57 AM  

Roswell, NM
What most are saying is fine and well and if your coming through here for a VERY short time it's worth the trip. Possibly living up North (Albuquerque, Santa Fe, etc.) might alright but stay away from the S.E. - we live in Roswell and this place is like being in a flippin' nightmare. There's no "city" for 200 miles in any direction, the place seems to be the land that time forgot (I will give you a very simple example - go to craigslist.com and take a look around - you'll do good to see things in the Auto Sales section, however when it comes to area's like Barter where most cities have a minimum of 25 plus postings a day your good to find 3).

A poster listed some info about some of the world greatest fly fishing - well I have to disagree. I'm from Colorado (and trying to get back everyday). I also served a decade in the Army and can tell you there are much better places to Fly fish, however I will agree that country isn't bad on the eyes.

I'm working on my thesis for a graduate degree in Behavioral Science (online of course since you have a couple choices for Colleges down here - Eastern New Mexico University, and State which is also down south. And my Thesis argument is simple, to the point, and catches ones attention:

"One can find out about the quality of living by visiting Walmart"

My theory is this - if you can find Hard Liquor, and Beer its proof that one either needs to stay drunk to deal with area or move on to a better educated state who understands the risks alcohol on the Human Body.

Also notice that most postings only discuss the food - now that is something I can agree with however try and find a decent Steak House in my area is like slamming my shin in the door jam time and time again. There's a place called the Cattle Baron which is "supposedly" the best steak house in Roswell and the only thing good there is the Salad Bar which is all you can eat. Who would have thought - an All you can eat Salad bar in a "high end steak house.

Six simple words - Stay away from the South East!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:07 AM  
Moved NY => Abq 3/9/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccauley1972 View Post
stay away from the S.E. - we live in Roswell and this place is like being in a flippin' nightmare. There's no "city" for 200 miles in any direction
Six years ago, my 1st time in NM, I drove from Abq to Roswell. He's right about the 'nothing around'. You know how on a highway a sign will say "Nextburg 25, Otherburg 53, Far Town 75"? Well the sign a ways south of I-40 on the way to Roswell says "Roswell 97", thats it!, and you've already been driving a while before the sign.

P.S. It IS possible to set the cruise control on a rental car at 95 MPH.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:35 PM  

Tijeras, nm
Nothing around? Sounds like paradise to me. As far as colleges go, my son attends ENMU and he and I have nothing but goods things to say about it.

to each his own....
Old 02-10-2011, 12:09 AM  

Roswell, NM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark70669 View Post
Nothing around? Sounds like paradise to me. As far as colleges go, my son attends ENMU and he and I have nothing but goods things to say about it.

to each his own....
You are absolutely correct when you talk about ENMU - I can say that there is very inexpensive tuition (dare I say cheap when comparing it to my College Education, and today I decided I'm going to give it a try during the Summer of 2011 since I'm stuck here until at least then.

Here is the upside to ENMU - I've already spent a very large portion of my Federal Aid along with my GI Bill to obtain my Undergrad and only need to finish my Thesis for my Grad. Now my school is not an Ivy League school but my out of pocket (FAFSA and GI Bill) has gone beyond $100k. By attending ENMU I've found that I can still complete 2 additional Undergrad's with the remainder of my FAFSA, 3 more Grad, and well I will need to go north to UNM for a Pilled Higher and Deeper (PH.D).

So please forgive me for COMPLETELY putting down this land that God and Time has forgotten - the education is cheap. My only concern, which I can report on relatively soon, is second hand. I apologize if I offend anyone, however after spending the kind of money I have for top notch private school education I have very high expectations when it comes to Secondary Education.

Now for a positive I inadvertently left out - I'm a competitive Dart Player and this town has a VERY small Dart League, however coming from Denver with a league of well over 1,000 players I would gladly put up our players - top to bottom against their top notch players. See there's nothing else to do here except follow your passion or gain a hobby. I've been competitively playing playing for over 10 years and have traveled the nation to play against the "so-called" best. Perhaps its the direction of the sun relative to the equatorial southern exposure that makes players so good, but I'm putting my money on the fact that there's nothing else to do here but practice what you love. Golf is Cheap (courses suck - but then again - a bad day playing 18 holes is betters than dealing with the Wife and Kids at home - LOL), So I guess there are a few good things here - just too far out in podunk town for a city boy like me.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:00 AM  

Ruidoso, NM
One good reason...but there are many!!

Carlsbad Caverns are awesome!!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Mexico
Bookmark this Page!