Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Mexico
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2010, 03:24 PM  
SW Explorer and Wanderer

Albuquerque, NM
be very aware of the origin of what you buy.
there has been a huge influx of counterfit product, both mass produced real semi precious turquoise imported from overseas, as well as fake plastic or resin product that very closely resembles the real thing.
In fact, the problem is so bad, that they're considering laws at both the state and federal level to require country of origin and content to be marked, similar to how its done on metal jewelry.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:34 AM  

Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt View Post
be very aware of the origin of what you buy.
there has been a huge influx of counterfit product, both mass produced real semi precious turquoise imported from overseas, as well as fake plastic or resin product that very closely resembles the real thing.
In fact, the problem is so bad, that they're considering laws at both the state and federal level to require country of origin and content to be marked, similar to how its done on metal jewelry.
That's crazy! How do you tell the difference? I'm sure that the plastic must be lighter in weight, but I don;t know for sure.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:47 PM  

Santa Fe, NM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAlady View Post
I pass through Santa Fe on business several times a year and I want to purchase some turquise jewelry, anyone know of a reasonably priced shop?
Thanks!!
May not be a lot cheaper but you should shop at the pueblos. Money goes directly to the artist in most cases and most of them could use the money. Also, ask if prices are negotiable. They might be and the Santa Fe galleries def. are not gonna negotiate.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:11 PM  

Salem, OR
Either way be kinda careful what you buy and where. The roadside stuff is iffy everywhere. Some reputable shops in Gallup sell excellent stuff at a deep discount to Santa Fe and Albq. As far as annoying drunks go there are often some to be found in Santa Fe too. Quite possibly I've been one of them a time or two.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:12 AM  

El Paso, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAlady View Post
I pass through Sante Fe on business several times a year and I want to purchase some turqouise jewelry, anyone know of a reasonably priced shop?

Thanks!!
If you have to go south, like to get to 40, try taking the "Turquoise Trail," on the east side of the mountains. There are several small towns, like Madrid, that have great little shops. I got some really great deals in Madrid.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 AM  

Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshartt View Post
If you have to go south, like to get to 40, try taking the "Turquoise Trail," on the east side of the mountains. There are several small towns, like Madrid, that have great little shops. I got some really great deals in Madrid.
Awesome! Thanks for the suggestion. I think I have a trip set in a couple months
Old 11-22-2010, 07:09 PM  

Pocatello, Idaho
Oh yeah. don't be taken by anyone who keeps their turquoise in a building or "store" thats all high priced trash. Get the REAL traditional stuff from the people who make it. Stop by Laguna in the summer or Gallup any saturday during the summer and pick it from the real jewelry makers.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:14 PM  

I know this is late, but check out Cerrillos, NM just south of Santa Fe on highway 14. There's a shop here that sells handmade jewelry made with the Turquise imned here in Cerrillos, reasonably priced.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Mexico
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads