Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Mexico
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2010, 01:36 PM  
Jag

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Urban sprawl & public transportation in Albuquerque

Is there a tremendous amount of urban sprawl in Albuquerque? Do you have to own a car to get around. How is the public transportation? Is there a bus system?

Old 11-14-2010, 10:21 AM  

Tijeras, nm
If you live in ABQ proper there is plenty of public transportation. The buses go most everywhere. There is also the RailRunner that can get you to Santa Fe and Bernilillo.

Choose your location carefully and you could easily get by without a car.

Stay away from Central ave between Eubank and Louisiana, it can get a bit rough.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:54 AM  

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Buses are decent but for the most part not nearly good enough for a city its size. I wouldn't recommend anyone live here w/o a car.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:24 AM  

Tijeras, New Mexico
I would difficult to live in the Albq area without a car. The public transportation system is pretty basic, not like in the east coast cities.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:32 AM  
Moved NY => Abq 3/9/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
Is there a tremendous amount of urban sprawl in Albuquerque?
From a few visits and home shopping there, I believe this to be true for the core area of Albuquerque... The Sandia mountains limit eastern growth, the Native American reservation limits northern growth, the Air Force base limits southern growth, and the Rio Grand river to the west divides the city into about 80-90% of it to the east and 10-20% to the west. The west side can grow, but since the river is there as an obstacle for travel, I think the west will evolve into a more self contained area.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:08 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
The ABQ public transit system map can be found at http://www.cabq.gov/transit/document...ar08sysmap.pdf
Old 01-10-2011, 12:30 AM  
SW Explorer and Wanderer

Albuquerque, NM
Depending on your needs, and where you plan on living, you can get by without a car.
If you live in core areas, you have what you need within walking distance, or via public transit.
Also, being a large city, there are alternative transportation options like rideshare, or alternative rental services like zipcar.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:05 AM  

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
If you don't have or want a car then stay in Albuquerque. Because in most of the out lying areas the public transportantion is sub par. I live in Rio Rancho and just couldn't get along with out a vehicle.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New Mexico
Bookmark this Page!