Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2010, 09:19 PM  

Blue Point, New York
Hi, it seems a couple of you have spoken (typed) for Taconic State Park (Copake Falls).....I DEFINITELY AGREE!!!! The place I camped at has the "ore pit pond" that is an old....you guessed it... ORE PIT......that is now filled in with water. They have a raft you can swim out to which is reminiscent of a beach club I belonged to as a child. If you keep your eye out for little blue and green-ish colored "rocks" on the ground.....what you are actually finding is called "slag". When they used to mine the ore out of the pit....they'd melt/smelt it and bring it to a liquid phase.....the impurities would rise to the top and be poured off (called "slag")....which just happens to be pretty! I took a bunch home to show my science students as a man-made version of the igneous rock "obsidian".

Also, the quick hike to Bash Bish falls is great..............you have to avoid the Massachussetts State rangers if you want to swim up into the waterfall.....quite hard to fight the current.....but awesome none-the-less.

-----------------Is that the only places we have all camped? Surely there are more!?

Old 01-04-2011, 11:15 AM  

New Paltz, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhiv4 View Post
-----------------Is that the only places we have all camped? Surely there are more!?
I have camped in few other places around the Hudson Valley, while in Scouts, but lots of those places where private property. OP was looking for places not far from NYC.

As of late my two places that I have been doing "dump camping", ( as in drive in, park and "dump" everything have been North lake in Catskill park and Lake Taghkanic park. Both are about an hour from home and both are pretty nice.

For backpacking/camping I have been going out in the Adirondacks to a spot called Pharaoh lake. Not a bad hike,(5.5 miles) but far enough off the path that you need everything with you should you get in trouble. We go there waaayyyy before the summer season starts. There has been times there's still snow in spots.

When I get a chance I'll post up a few pictures.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:42 AM  

New Paltz, New York
Here's a couple of those pictures.
http://

Already in the works for this years trip. Can't wait!
Old 02-16-2011, 07:18 AM  

Try the Thousand Islands Region. I've camped Wellessley Island State park, Kring Point and Long Point State Park. Awesome places to camp.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:23 AM  

Some of the best car camping is going to be in the adirondack region,

you have rollins pond, which is very popular. You can rent canoes and bikes.

or you could go to glens falls, the KOA.

Check em out

Yard
Old 03-09-2011, 05:38 PM  

New Paltz, New York
Not sure about anyone else, but my first trip for the year is in about 5 weeks. Anyone else planning a trip soon?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:51 AM  

Hopewell Junction, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Lake Taghkanic Stat Park is pretty nice but it's closer to Catskills on the east side of Hudson river. I also like North Lake in the Catskills. Closer to you is Bear Mtn. State park that has some camping as well. There's lots of other small county parks to go but it comes down to what kinds of sites are you looking for. If it's family camping I'd say go with Lake T or maybe North Lake, but again these are a little more of a drive from the city, but they are very nice IMO. If it's more then just driving into a site, then I vote for heading to the Adirondacks. For that type camping I travel 2 1/2hrs. to get to my spot. And if you're wondering my avatar is my spot.
Joe, where exactly is that camping spot in the adirondacks? I'm interested in island camping
Old 04-19-2011, 05:53 AM  

Hopewell Junction, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Not sure about anyone else, but my first trip for the year is in about 5 weeks. Anyone else planning a trip soon?
Yes, going out in May to lake georde usually, but would like to get some info on adirondack spots?
Old 04-19-2011, 12:21 PM  

New Paltz, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksm279 View Post
Joe, where exactly is that camping spot in the adirondacks? I'm interested in island camping
That's Pharaoh Lake Wilderness area in the Adirondack park. But that island is on Pharaoh with no boat launch per say. The lake is a couple miles hiking you'd need to portage your boat/canoe. It's about 4miles in from parking area. You need to hike everything in besides your boat/canoe.
And as of last week there was still 2ft of snow up there and a foot of ice on the lake!

For islands I'd go to Lake George. Which looks like what you posted with a typo as a guess.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:21 PM  

New Paltz, New York
Just looked in a state campsite guide for island camp sites and see there's also Lincoln Pond, Alger Island, Indian Lake Island and Tioga Point. All of which are in the Adirondack Region.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York
Bookmark this Page!