Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2010, 09:07 AM  

New Paltz, New York
New York, History in your backyard.

So what events in history have happened in your neck of the woods?
I can say that I live near the village with the oldest street in America and grew up near the oldest winery in America. I'll post up more later.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:23 PM  

12550, New York
A couple miles from my house is the Gomez Mill house. IIRC, it was used to help slaves obtain freedom as a part of the underground railroad.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:59 PM  

New Paltz, New York
I know where that is. IIRC it's on 9W not far from the Ulster/Orange county line. Have not been there though.
Anyone else? Here's a couple more close to home: Spot where the colonists blocked the Hudson river during the American revolution. Closer to home is the last Encampment of the Continential Army. The first section of Appalachian trial started in Bear Mtn. State park.

I'll try for a couple more later.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:25 PM  

12550, New York
Yeah, right by the Orange Ulster line in Marlboro. Marlboro used to be full of loyalists and there are many old houses by the river that are still standing. They used to paint a red X on the chimneys. That would signal the British not to shoot cannons at those houses. That is what my history teacher told us at least.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 AM  

New Paltz, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
Yeah, right by the Orange Ulster line in Marlboro. Marlboro used to be full of loyalists and there are many old houses by the river that are still standing. They used to paint a red X on the chimneys. That would signal the British not to shoot cannons at those houses. That is what my history teacher told us at least.
Never heard that before. Neat fun fact.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:37 PM  

12550, New York
Exactly what I thought. I always enjoyed that class because the teacher made it interesting. He also had the highest State test scores in the county for his students, and ranked top 3 every year across the entire state. That means students were actually listening and learning.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:53 PM  

New Paltz, New York
Always nice to have a teacher like that. Have a couple and have always remember what they taught me.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 AM  

Southampton, New York
Bigjoe: New Paltz was founded it 1678, Southampton village was founded in 1640 by people from Lynne, Mass. You sure about the oldest street in America?
Old 10-28-2010, 05:10 AM  

Manchester, NH
We had a summer house in Stephentown NY. It is the only Stephentown in the world. It also had the largest population in the early 1800's, larger than any city in the U.S. due to Iron ore mining. If you want to see rocks that rust, this is the place.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:37 AM  

New Paltz, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by maierar View Post
Bigjoe: New Paltz was founded it 1678, Southampton village was founded in 1640 by people from Lynne, Mass. You sure about the oldest street in America?
Huguenot street in New Paltz is know as America's oldest know street because it was continously inhabited from the time of the Huguenot's (French Protestants) first settlement. And becuase it has the most original buildings from the 17th and 18th century settings. Huguenot street has six house built before 1720.

At least that's what they say about it anyway.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York
Bookmark this Page!